Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I meant to mention that when I changed the oil on my 400 the manual say to put it on the center stand ( after warning up ) and hold it upright ( level ) to drain the oil. So I put short pieces of 1X4's under each tire while on the center stand and it seemed to be just perfect.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
When the bike is on the center stand it is level (left & right) if the ground is level.
As far as front & rear it does seem to "lean" a little toward the front tire and perhaps a 1x2 under the front mite do something,
I have 4 oil changes sofar and never even thought about it.
But I don't see putting a 1x4 under Both tires. :?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
level

Randy said:
But I don't see putting a 1x4 under Both tires. :?
Well the manual says and I quote (Using a wrench remove the drain plug and drain out the engine oil while holding the motorcycle in a vertical position) So to really have it in a vertical position and be on the center stand both tires would have to be the same distance off of the floor. Putting a 1X2 under the front tire would be the same as putting a 1X4 under the front tire since I'm only using the 1 inch of the 1X4
and the front tire would still be just like it was before you put anything under it, nothing would be touching it. But then if you raise the back untill the front tire contacts the 1X4 or (1X2) and then place another 1X4 or (1X2) under the rear tire you will notice that you cannot pull either 1X4 out from under either tire without a little effort. This seems to be about as vertical (or level as you can get it. In reality this is probably unnessasary but as my first time changing the oil I was just trying to do it right and to pass on what I had learned which is a way to hold the scoot in a vertical position without having to phyically 8) hold it up while you were draining the oil.
Steve

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I think you may be taking the " book" far to literally. No one expects you hold up the bike yourself.

While you may be right about the 1x4. I think it's just taking an oil change to far.
Do you do that each time you check the oil.?
I will go out on a limb here and say that all you need to do is put the bike on the center stand, perhaps we will here from someone who knows better.
My self, I use a table lift, the question of level is taken for granted.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
first oil change

Randy said:
I think you may be taking the " book" far to literally. No one expects you hold up the bike yourself.

While you may be right about the 1x4. I think it's just taking an oil change to far.
Do you do that each time you check the oil.?
I will go out on a limb here and say that all you need to do is put the bike on the center stand, perhaps we will here from someone who knows better.
My self, I use a table lift, the question of level is taken for granted.
As I said it may not be nessasary to do that but I think it is important at least on the first oil change (especially since it was not changed at 100 or so miles like some of the guys have done) to get as much of the oil with the metal shavings out of the motor. And I use the " book " :study: generally as a guide and not literally but at the very least a person (if they can read) should at least know what the "book " :study: says.
But Randy I guess the most important thing is that the oil gets changed when it should no matter how we do it and we keep the rubber side down. :lol:
Steve

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Steve, after you've changed the oil and put in two quarts, take the blocks out, and note where the oil level is on the dip stick. It will be "down" a little. That is acctually your full mark and from then on you will know when you check it and not have to use blocks. I started with a block under the front, but soon gave it up. Thus far, at 8K my scoot uses nary a drop of oil.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
swstiles wrote
But Randy I guess the most important thing is that the oil gets changed when it should no matter how we do it and we keep the rubber side down.
Steve
Steve:
You get a big "amen" on that :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
blocks

Hi Randy, I didn't use the blocks to put the oil in, I figured that I would be cking the oil on the center stand without the blocks (your not always at home when you want to ck the oil) and also it would be a pain in the behind to put those under there every time you wanted to ck it. I noticed that it was down a little on the dip stick when I cked it so I'll know where it should be. You know it's a real shame that they didn't put a oil pressure gage on the 400. Maybe if we belly ache enough about it in the suggestion to Suzuki forum they will put it on future models and give us a chance to upgrade.
Steve

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Steve
I bet it would not cost Suzuki much at add a oil gage instead of the "idiot" light.
Take a "run" over to - Feedback for Suzuki - thread and add it, can't hurt :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts