Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I've been poking around & trying to find if the Cat was added in 2007 or 2008.

I didn't see any reference in the FAQ & I've seen reference to both years as the first. Anybody know for sure?
http://burgmanusa.com/bkb/650+Year+Differences

·
Registered
828 Posts
What's the point?
Anyway, i have the service manual for the 2007 an400 in electronic format, so i inserted the world "catalytic" in the search bar and i had no conflicts. So the catalytic is not mentioned in the 2007 manual.

·
Administrator
18,704 Posts
In USA it was 2008 for the 650. I think Europe got it a few years earlier. Quick way to tell, do you have an O2 sensor in the pipe near where both pipes join before the muffler?

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do indeed have an 02 sensor. My k6 did not.
That's consistent with what I read some time back about the computers. The k6 still had mechanical idle. The k7 is computer controlled and uses real closed loop control.
Just don't know if they added a cat as well as an 02 sensor since one can exist without the other.

·
Premium Member
14,253 Posts
Have to disagree with Dave-J. The catalytic converter was added in 2007 not 2008. It was added at the same time they went to throttle bodies with the idle speed controlled by the PCM instead of manually adjusted which was 07. My 05 did not have a catalytic converter or O2 sensor. My 07 has both. The cat is built into the muffler and the part number for the muffler is the same for all the 07+ models,
14305-10GG0-H01. The part number for the 05/06 models is 14305-10GB0-H01.

·
Administrator
18,704 Posts
OK, I thought that when the guys doing the 3A Racing muffler mod, when they cut the Burgman's muffler housing and slipped that 9 pound "P0S" baffle system out, that the 07 and down did not have one but the 08 and above did. I stand corrected. :D

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks folks.
Kinda suspected it. I came to the question when sitting next to an Astro at a light that was in very bad need of a new cat, or at least should be buying better fuel. The sulfurous stench was so thick it hung with me for a few blocks after the van turned off..
I'm thinking that would make a nice addition to the KB for year changes, perhaps that & note that and correct the color for the 07s.

·
Registered
203 Posts
So it would be a bad idea to put 100LL (low lead) aviation fuel in the burgman with a catalytic converter. :) I wonder if I can find some racing fuel with some 120 octane rating . . . .

·
Administrator
18,704 Posts
So it would be a bad idea to put 100LL (low lead) aviation fuel in the burgman with a catalytic converter. :) I wonder if I can find some racing fuel with some 120 octane rating . . . .
WHY???? And yes 100LL will kill the cat. But its your bike and money to spend. In the opinion of so many on here, anything above REGULAR pump gas is a waste of money as there is NO proven enhancement in power or gas mileage. But its yours to prove us wrong.

·
Registered
203 Posts
WHY???? And yes 100LL will kill the cat. But its your bike and money to spend. In the opinion of so many on here, anything above REGULAR pump gas is a waste of money as there is NO proven enhancement in power or gas mileage. But its yours to prove us wrong.
Oh I am just kidding. With the compression ratio of the burgman being 10:1 or so it would decrease chances of knocking. I am still having problems with hesitation at low speeds even after a tank of new gas and some stabilizer.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Also cat in the 07 400. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts