Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All
I posted about the 7500 mile/2 Year maintenance I was going to perform, got through that list plus a few other items I missed like the air filter, CVT filter and checking the stopper bolt now that is behind me one of the items was to have the tires changed (1st tire change) so I dropped the rear wheel with the replacement tire to the dealer where I purchased the bike to have them swap it out.

Got the call that it was ready, went and picked it up after a quick inspection. When I got home I started my normal procedure of putting the Rotor back on then the ABS disk this when I noticed that they never removed the factory weight when removing the old tire and installing the new in turn actually moving the weight from where it was directly opposite of the valve stem to exactly where the valve stem is causing a nice deep scratch from where it was to where it is. I called the dealer to let them know my findings and was instructed to bring it back to them which I did.

The dealer was not too pleased in which the tire was swapped out. They asked me what I wanted too do and I stated I wanted a replacement wheel and they said they will order a new wheel and call me when it comes in. Yesterday I get a call from the dealer informing me that they want to have my wheel re-powder coated instead of ordering a new wheel (I know that sucker is expensive). I really don't have a big problem with having it re-powder coated (The wheel is scratched pretty good but not damaged and is working fine as I'm using it now) but do have a few concerns and would like your take on it.

My concerns are as follows.

1. I'll be out of a bike for a while.
2. How well will they color match it?
2. Can I trust them to remove all of the parts properly and re-assemble correctly afterwards?
3. Do the bearings and seals have to removed for this process. I know they have to strip the wheel but with what chemicals or sandblasting?

I appreciated the dealer wanting to make it right but the bottom line is since they could take care of the tire change in the first place will they do the proper job this time.

Should I go ahead and have them re-powder coat the wheel or just lick my wounds and leave it as is and move on?

Sorry for the long winded post, any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
375 Posts
In the long run, I think you'd be better off asking for some store credit or some free gear. Redoing the powder coating will probably not yield a finish as good as the factory one, and you'll end up with a rim that's scratched again. And, as you say, you'll be without a scoot for a bit.

I admit, I do my own tire changes so my rims end up looking like heck. Best of luck on whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
+1. Store credit.

You didn't post any pictures, but rim scratches from tire changes are considered normal wear & tear on a used bike. It certainly wouldn't keep me from buying a bike.

As long as you can live with it being scratched, make a deal and enjoy the new summer jacket, or whatever.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You are likely the only one that will ever notice the scratch. What color is your wheel?
Black?
Fill in the scratch with a Sharpie.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
.. Redoing the powder coating will probably not yield a finish as good as the factory one, and you'll end up with a rim that's scratched again. ...
The original coating on the rim is the same type you use for Christmas decorations, powder coating will be much more wear resistant and much easier to clean.

EVERYTHING has to be removed from the wheel, and all mounting surfaces and thread bores have to be meticulously covered and plugged, otherwise you will have a fight to install bearings, driver coupler and brake- and ABS-discs.

If the powder coating gets dinged, it's hard to repair.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
In the long run, I think you'd be better off asking for some store credit or some free gear. Redoing the powder coating will probably not yield a finish as good as the factory one, and you'll end up with a rim that's scratched again.
The voice of reason though powder coating of the wheel will have a better finish than factory both should be done to assure they are both the same. Figuring the wheel costs the dealer inn the neighborhood of $400 a store credit between $300-$350 would be a score then just find some touch up paint. Their cost on powder coating the wheel might run in the $100-$200 range per wheel.

The original coating on the rim is the same type you use for Christmas decorations, powder coating will be much more wear resistant and much easier to clean.

EVERYTHING has to be removed from the wheel, and all mounting surfaces and thread bores have to be meticulously covered and plugged, otherwise you will have a fight to install bearings, driver coupler and brake- and ABS-discs.

If the powder coating gets dinged, it's hard to repair.
The factory finish is more like a light painting than a thick powder coat and everything removed as Erik says. They usually have to bead blast it and start fresh.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Store credit and fix it yourself, you are good at that. No Burgman for a while in the beginning of the summer? No way!!!

Good luck with that, and I am sorry this took place. The only job you decided not to do it yourself and they damage your rim. NO GOOD!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will take your advice and deal with it and work on a store credit, after all I balanced the tire then installed already and it it's running flawlessly. It just bugs me that I have to make this decision.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts