Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just made myself the first oil and filter change on my 400, 10 minutes tops. forget about going to the dealer and paying $60. I bought the filter and gaskets from ron ayers along the service manual, total 2 filters 2 gaskets and manual w/shipping 45dlls. it was worth every penny.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Thanks Richard

Thats good to know because I will be doing my own service as well. However, the manual for the 2004 K4 is not out yet but I think the procedure for the 2003 for changing the oil would be the same. I would certainly like to get a hold of the 3-4 pages of the manual that describes this. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Details

Hi Guys,

Do you mind walking me throught the oil change so I do it properly?

I know it's easy but for my sake, thanks.

George

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hey George,

Firstly are you comfortable doing the mechanical work yourself because there is alot more to just performing an oil change for the first service. The valve clearances have to be checked as well. The oil change is a cinch:

1) Warm the engine up
2) drain the oil from the bottom drain plug screw ... remember to remove the oil level plug first so the oil will flow easily. Drain out the engine oil.

3) Locate the oil filter cover which is a round cover about 2.5 inches in diameter on the right side just beside the oil level stick...remove the 3 small bolts (8 mm size) and NOTE THE ORIENTATION OF THE FILTER and the SMALL "O" ring inside the engine.

....DO NOT MIX THIS UP!!!!! . You could do very serious damage to the engine if you don't install the new filter correctly.

4)Let this drain the last bit of engine oil...approx 100 mls. You can prevent your exhaust pipe from getting oil by using a small portion of aluminum foil to act as a channeler for the oil into your oil pan. Easy to do.

5) Install a new "O" ring first then install the open end of the filter into the engine. Remember this must be done correctly.

6) You may want to replace the "O" ring on the cover as well but I so happened to re-use mine. Re-install the cover and don't over tighten it because the aluminum is soft stuff. Use a torque wrench if you are not comfortable with your feel for torque level.

7) Now since you replaced the filter, the engine will need 2 L of SG rated oil ...stay away from synthetics for the time being. Let the engine get some miles before going to the slippery synthetic oils.

8) Start up the engine and let it run for a couple of minutes. Check the oil level with the scooter off the stands (side and center). Check your owner's manual on the precise procedure. I check mine with the oil dip stick not screwed in the with the bike centered off the side stand...tricky to do!

Good luck ...Timothy

·
Registered
15 Posts
oil change

Tim,

Thanks for the walk thru. I will change my oil when I get back to Kansas City. I am out on the road right now.

Thanks again. Take care.

George

1 - 5 of 5 Posts