Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would pass along my experience (so far) with changing to 19g sliders on my K8 400 with 13k miles on the clock.
Long story short: I am very glad I did.
Changing the sliders was pretty straight forward (Thanks again for the videos Mitch!!) and took me about and hour and a half including belt inspection and final drive oil change.
I commute via the freeway and the drop in RPMs at high speed has been substantial. Whereas before the engine had been turning at approx. 7k rpm @ 75 mph (indicated), it is now down around 5800. Also fuel economy for my first tank has increased by approx. 8% from 59 to 64mpg.
In addition I haven't felt like I've lost any power off the line, as a matter of fact, the bike feels a bit quicker (?)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Chef said:
Thought I would pass along my experience (so far) with changing to 19g sliders on my K8 400 with 13k miles on the clock.
Long story short: I am very glad I did.
Changing the sliders was pretty straight forward (Thanks again for the videos Mitch!!) and took me about and hour and a half including belt inspection and final drive oil change.
I commute via the freeway and the drop in RPMs at high speed has been substantial. Whereas before the engine had been turning at approx. 7k rpm @ 75 mph (indicated), it is now down around 5800. Also fuel economy for my first tank has increased by approx. 8% from 59 to 64mpg.
In addition I haven't felt like I've lost any power off the line, as a matter of fact, the bike feels a bit quicker (?)
Many of us have done just that! Either 19gram or the 18 gram sliders........!! Enjoy the ride............. :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Interesting mod.
I wonder, what weight are the stock sliders?
If they are heavier, why not drill them to reduce mass. (Am not familiar with the whole pulley operation, but will be when I remove stuff to check the belt, it seems noisy lately).
Hmmmm better gas mileage :) would love to see 70 something on the digital display!

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
mike1nw said:
...I wonder, what weight are the stock sliders?...
I took two sets of OEM roller weights to the USPS scales. One set weighed 5.30 oz total, with each weight about 0.7 oz. That comes out to be 18.8 grams each.

The other set was slightly different. They were 5.4 oz total, with again each weight showing as 0.7 oz. That comes out to be 19.1 grams each.

So if you said, 19 grams, you'd be close.

Chris

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So then it's the design of the sliders and not the weight per-se that is changing the performance?

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Here are three pictures from the Union Materials website. http://www.unionmaterial.com/rollerweight6.htm They are taken from a flash movie on the webpage that you may want to look at to see them in action.
[attachment=2:18gjhntj]dps.jpg[/attachment:18gjhntj][attachment=1:18gjhntj]dps1.jpg[/attachment:18gjhntj][attachment=0:18gjhntj]dps2.jpg[/attachment:18gjhntj]

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent illustration.
Thanks Daboo.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Can anybody comment on how or even if the 19 gm DP sliders affect steep grade/high altitude (mountain pass) performance? It seems there would be more throttle left, but can the engine do anything with it? I find there have been a few times I would get about 5 mph below the speed limit at full throttle on some passes. Would these sliders make things better, worse or, no difference?

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I don't know how it works inside as I can't see in there. :) However, when you're encountering any kind of increased load on the bike, whether that be a hill or just a stiff headwind, the rpms go up. I think that's one of the things I really like about these DPS weights. When I want/need the acceleration, I have it. The rpms increase immediately and the engine pulls quickly. When I let off on the throttle, the rpms drop down. The change is immediate and smooth.

If you're looking for a magic increase in power to go climb Pike's Peak and pass everyone else on the way up there, you probably want a different bike. These DPS weights help, but they can't make up that much of a difference.

Our passes in Washington State are not as high as yours, but are every bit as steep. I have the power to stay at 70 mph all the way up, but there isn't a lot left. That sounds "bad" till you realize I'm passing cars that the owners have in the slower right lanes because their engines are feeling the load too.

Chris

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Am still interested in this.
First, I thought there was a thread where the Dr Pulley weights somehow flipped over inside the case.

Also, I am having trouble finding these Dr Pulley weights for the AN 400. Guess I should take google lessons. :?

Are there replacements for the stock rollers, maybe a skoche heavier? I would like mine to shift a tad sooner.
(Suzook sells only stock parts, I checked)

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Here's a link to the distributor for the USA. http://www.buggypartsnw.com/index.php?o ... uct_id=406

You'll find a drop down list for the different weights. 18g are a nice place to start. The 19g weights will drop down the rpms slightly more on the freeway. I prefer the 19g weights, but both are fine.

OEM weights will not "shift". As you increase in speed, you increase in rpms.

There was a recent thread on the DPS weights flipping. There are no real answers, just theories or more properly termed, guesses as to why. Paul Wu from Union Materials has had me testing a new design of DPS weights for over a year now. Part of the reason is to eliminate the flipping some people have encountered. I'm probably a bad choice for the testing because I've never had that happen.

Chris

·
Registered
314 Posts
Here is the link to one of the more recent threads about this topic.

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=58084&p=536694#p536694

I was one of the people that have had issues with the flipping, but the issues certainly were initially my fault. I have the 18Gr sliders and have not had any issues in awhile. The low end acceleration on the 18GR is very significant and the studdering or delay that is felt at take off is almost eliminated. i have experience a good drop in RPM's at the top end although not as much as the heavier weights would provide as i understand.

I have lost about 5 MPG based on several fillups, some people do not concurr on this subject it would seem. 08-400

·
Registered
427 Posts
More than happy to share my experience and make a suggestion.

I put my 18G DPS sliders in at 3200 miles, and now have 4500 on the bike. I live in Indiana, so there aren't many hills around. However, next week I will be in the Smokies, and will post a follow up report. :D

My city milage went up slightly, but my highway milage went up almost 10 MPG (DPS = 70 MPG highway at 60-65 mph cruise), and I have been tracking since mile 1 on the bike. More important than milage to me though, is performance and engine revolutions. My RPM dropped about 900 to 1000 rpm at cruise from 65 to 70 mph. So that is a big plus on long trips which I plan on doing more of.

If I would do anything different I would try the 19G sliders, I think that will be the best weight for around town and highway. (Based on reports I have read). Just like others have said, the down shift compared to stock weights, is very noticable and appreciated when passing. Then it settles back into a nice cruise rpm after the demand is gone.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
All righty then, looks like the 19g is what I want. For lower highway RPM. :)

·
Registered
748 Posts
What would you guys suggest for 2- up riding, 18 or 19g? Total weight is about 300 lbs. 2012 400.
Thank you for any advice.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
How often are you riding two up, Mike? If a fair amount, I'd go with the 18g weights. You'll get just a bit more acceleration...probably not enough to notice in a one-up situation, but more noticeable with two up.

If 95% of your riding is by yourself, you could go either way. When I take my daughters for a ride, our total weight is about the same. The bike feels a lot less sprightly, but it isn't enough to worry about because we only do a few rides together.

Chris

·
Registered
748 Posts
I ride 2-up 95% of the time. Probably should've bought a 650, but couldn't afford it. I'd like it to back shift like a snowmobile a bit if I could. Then I'd have a little more zip, or response around corners.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Mike337 said:
I ride 2-up 95% of the time. Probably should've bought a 650, but couldn't afford it. I'd like it to back shift like a snowmobile a bit if I could. Then I'd have a little more zip, or response around corners.
IMHO opinion I would get the 18GR then, because it sounds like the extra little bit of zip would be appreciated. All of my observations have been with about 250-260LBs on the bike, between me and cargo. I would say you probably can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Ordered the 19g ones last Saturday, should be here soon.
To me, the bike has plenty of zip :D <------ the Burgman grin
I ride 2-up about 1% of the time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts