Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I am new to the forum but luckily not to motorcycles and scooters. Ok her goes...I bought a 1999 burgman 400 and was impressed at the last owner as he told me he had changed the oil and filter, the transmission oil along with the belt and rollers..he gave me the old belt and rollers too.

I noticed that at every set of lights I could smell hot rubber but I read that new belts did smell a little until they are broken in...I also noticed that the bike would surge under throttle and the drive would feel like it was slipping at speed then not slip, but more annoying it would chug and rattle the screen on take off.

Anyway with myself being a qualified mechanic and a little bit of a perfectionist I opened the trany up and to my surprise the belt was slack and sagging that much it touched the bottom casing..I removed it and checked it against the old belt and it was a little longer so I then weighed the rollers and they were 19gm..the old ones looked fine and they were 18gm so I put the old belt back on and the old rollers. There was a bit of a groove in the variator but it was very high up which made sense as he said the bike had been used for touring around the uk.

I then got a little curious and decided to check the valve clearances which to be honest were pretty much bang on being perfect on the exhaust and only one thou too much on one of the inlets..

I cleaned the air filter fitted a new spark plug and was happy she was right. (I did find the inlet rubber had started to split but not right through, a little superglue sorted that for now).

The bike is now much smoother and seems quicker as the trany is right now.

So my problem is that when I start the bike it will tickover but if I rev it it goes to cut out...then after 20 seconds it will behave and rev fine..also when it is hot it has a horrible flat spot if i try to pull away quickly from a stop. I have to get it moving then back off the throttle or it struggles.

What next?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Further update...I decided to take the carb off and strip it. I found most things in great order and nice and clean but I did find that the floats were a touch low and the main thing was that the mixture screw had been set to 2.5 turns out...I checked my carb and it is a 15F1 so it should be set to 1.75 turns. Scooter seems a lot better, starting, idling and pulling away.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Further update...I decided to take the carb off and strip it. I found most things in great order and nice and clean but I did find that the floats were a touch low and the main thing was that the mixture screw had been set to 2.5 turns out...I checked my carb and it is a 15F1 so it should be set to 1.75 turns. Scooter seems a lot better, starting, idling and pulling away.
Joe if you are still a member and see this where is the mixture screw on the carb? I have a 2000 model and due to fit a new inlet rubber as old one is drawing air/split. My Tempory fix has sorted my issue slightly but my tickover is a bit up & down from cold and when coming to a stop, the bike also pops out the exhaust which suggests a lean mixture but I cannot see any other adjustment screw on the carb other than the idle speed?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts