Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to the forum
I bought my Burgman in 2000 and had it shipped to the USA. I did this because at the time there were no Burgmans available to purchase here.
Problem is I always had to get parts imported for it.
Currently I need to buy a new windshield for it and have to try to figure out what is going on with the brake light when I use the right brake lever.
I can't start the bike because of it.
Does anyone know what US models are compatible with the European version I have that I purchased in Spain?
My seats cushions are also starting to fade and crack and could use some advice as to how to refit them or replace them?

I am very much be interested in selling this after I clean it up a little bit.
Thanks
Henry

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
From what I understand the basic design of the pre 2003 400 was much the same as the 2003-2006 at least as far a bodywork was concerned but there were some differences in the engine/power train. My guess is the windshield is the same but I can't say for sure. Maybe one of the European members can chime in and confirm it.

The brake light problem is likely the micro switch located on the brake lever pivot point. You might be able to get it working by spraying a little contact cleaner or WD40 into it. If not then the switch is probably the same as the later model because Suzuki uses the same micro switch on a lot of motorcycles, ATVs and scooters including the 650. The part number for it is 57460-17C11 and they run about $25.

·
Registered
255 Posts
toysheik said:
Hi I'm new to the forum
I bought my Burgman in 2000 and had it shipped to the USA. I did this because at the time there were no Burgmans available to purchase here.
Problem is I always had to get parts imported for it.
Currently I need to buy a new windshield for it and have to try to figure out what is going on with the brake light when I use the right brake lever.
I can't start the bike because of it.
Does anyone know what US models are compatible with the European version I have that I purchased in Spain?
My seats cushions are also starting to fade and crack and could use some advice as to how to refit them or replace them?

I am very much be interested in selling this after I clean it up a little bit.
Thanks
Henry
Hi Henry and welcome.
I assume you mean only the right brake lever is stopping the bike from starting and when pulling the left lever in, the bike starts ? If so remove the single screw from the brake switch mounted underneath the brake lever pivot as Buffalo says for access. I remove the handle bar cover and then undo the brake lever to handle bar clamp so I can easily get at the two connecting wires. You may get away with a squirt or two of WD40 as I have but you always have the question in the back of your mind, 'is the brake light working' as the car behind gets ever closer in your mirrors !
Having disconnected the two wires to the brake switch you can short them together to confirm the brake light operation and rule out a broken wire in the circuit. (Ignition on of course :roll: ). Brake switches are not generaly expensive with pattern parts less than £5 and OE around £12.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts