Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a nice long ride the other day and wanted to see how far I could go on a tank of gas. Planning a trip out to west Texas soon and it can be a long way between gas stations. Ran it down to where the needle touched the red and got 150 mi. Ran it half way into the red and got 170 mi. That's highway and a little in town rideing.
Stopped and got gas and according to my lousy math I had .8 gal. left in the tank. Anybody run it down to the bottom?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've never run it to the bottom, usually about halfway down into the red. That gets me about 200 mi. out of a tank, with a fillup showing about .6 gal left. The on-board confuser says I get about 55 to 57 smiles per gallon. :cool:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Yup, ran out of gas once, on my way to work. Don't remember the mileage though. But started right up once it got some juice.

However, after eight years on the 400, there is almost no situation I can go less than 200 miles on a well functioning bike. I calculate over 220 miles if I'm getting good milage on a tank. It's actually got better range than the 650. 3.6 gal @ 60 mpg beats 4 gal at 49.

The 400 doesn't have a warning system like the 650 when you're getting below 25 miles range. But the gas gauge is very pessimistic. When you get to the red zone, which indicates a quarter tank, you're actually at a third of a tank. When it gets to empty, indicated, you still have half a gallon, so about 25-30 miles. I usually fillup at 180-190 and regularly put in 3.3 gallons, so theres a few spare miles to go.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
At the 1/4 tank mark my '03 will take 2.0 gallons to fill meaning that 1.4 gallons of the 3.4 capacity are left. With my variator and torque multiplier spring mods , and heavy hand, I get just 52 to 55 mpg...

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Yes I purposely ran mine to empty (carried a half gallon of gas with me) just to see what the range is. I posted results, if I can find the thread.... for the sake of science :)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I run mine to the bottom of the red and usually end up with 1/2 gallon left. I don't get near the mileage people claim they do on here, but still close to 60 mpg so I'm more then happy.
I also carry two, 1 quart MSR fuel bottles with for an emergency 30 miles. They fit nicely alongside of the tire hump in the trunk, and never leak.

·
Premium Member
14,249 Posts
As others have noted you still have about 1/2 gallon when the needle gets to the bottom of the "red". They stop running just after the needle touches the top of the "E".

·
Registered
118 Posts
Went for a nice long ride the other day and wanted to see how far I could go on a tank of gas. Planning a trip out to west Texas soon and it can be a long way between gas stations. Ran it down to where the needle touched the red and got 150 mi. Ran it half way into the red and got 170 mi. That's highway and a little in town rideing.
Stopped and got gas and according to my lousy math I had .8 gal. left in the tank. Anybody run it down to the bottom?
You might want to look into one of these type of gas cans for your trip. A bit pricey but their design makes it easier to carry fuel on our scoots. Here's their website but you can find them at Amazon or do a search on the net for other retailers.
http://rotopax.com/

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just get a couple of aluminium camping fuel bottles. Cheap insurance if you are worried of running out. They do not leak, carry one all riding season just in case. Used it once but for a buddies BSA 440

·
Registered
66 Posts
Get one but if you plan your trip well you should never have to use it. Even in West Texas there isn't anywhere 200 miles from a gas station. If you have a GPS many will also show you the nearest gas station in distance and route. But know what your range is and reset a trip meter after every fill up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been out to West Texas quite a few times on a different bike so I'm not worried about finding a gas station I'm just wondering how many I can skip.��

1 - 11 of 11 Posts