Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do I buy?

History:

I have been riding a Vespa ET4 150cc scooter for a year. I have taken the MSF course and did very well. I live in South East Florida and currently ride with a group of motorcycles my husband is on a Yamaha V-Star 1100, 2 guys on Harleys and 2 guys on Yamaha 1000cc Sport Bikes. I female, hence the husband, 5'3" tall, about 120-125 lbs. I am physically fit. We ride about 60 - 120 miles each time we go out, usually 2-3 times per month. Sometimes short runs for breakfast, 25 miles RT. Our speed range is from 30-60 MPH. My husband and I went to St. Augustine, a 650 miles RT, I drove the Vespa. That trip had speeds up to 70MPH, the Vespa gets blown around.

I really want to get the Burgman 650 for touring. Buzz, the Vespa, just can't do long tours with the other bikes. I have sat on both. I am completely flat footed on the 400 and just flat footed on the 650. On Buzz I am on my toes at a stop.

The Florida dealers will not allow test drives. I am sure I can handle the 650 on the road, but what about at stops or very low, parking speeds? Also how about backing up while parking?

I have read almost all of the posts on this site and a few others. I see some women riding the 650 but I don't know about their size. It seems most women don't talk about that. Some of the vertically challenged men went with the 400 and others the 650.

Please give me any input you can on making my decision. Any tips on handling in slow speeds or from a stop.

My dealer has one of each at the shop now. I am ready to BUY!!

Thanks in advance.

Janine

·
Registered
466 Posts
Janine,

I have a 400 and it goes really well. On the freeway 70-75 mph is no problem and I like the lighter weight of the 400. Both Bergmans are fine machines but I spend 90% of my time on two lane roads and the 400 works very well for that even two up! The Harley guys end up in the rear view mirror very quickly.
Low speed handling can be tricky because of the automatic clutch, I do better at low speeds with my 1200cc Kawasaki. If you are keeping up with everybody on your Vespa I'm sure you could handle either Burgman.

Thanx
Russ

·
Registered
135 Posts
i live near you, im in the ft lauderdale area i am one of those vertically challenged guys im only 5'2 and i have the 650. i can only put one foot on the ground at a light unless i slide to the front of the seat then i can put both feet on the ground. my suggestion is because of the speeds on the interstates here i would tell you to get the 650. yes the 400 does fine at most speeds but the passing power would be lacking at the higher sppeds that the 650 is better for. plus you wont have to worry about getting the 400 and a month later saying i wish it was faster on the highway and be stuck trading up again. i know on I 95 in particular if my speedo isnt reading about 80 im getting flown by like im standing still.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Well then,

I have a 400 and for the last 5 months I put it through its city paces. Its a great vehicle in the city and for the occassional highway trip its fine. I find it works hard on the highway and so if you are planning to do lots of road trips and its your second mount, then get the 650. The Vespa it for the city. My next purchase will be the 650 and I will keep the 400 as well.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Janine,

I'm a 6 foot 225 pound guy that rides a 400. Most of my riding is 4 lane roads including interstate at speeds from 65 to 75 MPH. I think the 400 handles this type of riding quite well. The only times I have wanted more power is when passing on some of the local 2 lane roads. I'd say either the 400 or the 650 would do a great job for the type of riding you mentioned. It's just a matter of personal preference. If you do choose the 650, you have a couple of options to make the 650 a bit easier to flat foot. Some riders have had the seat cut down and another mentioned having taller soles added to their boots. Good luck and get your Burgman soon. You won't reget it.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Janine

Welcome.

First off if you ain't carrying pillion the 400 will be absolutely fine for you and a quantum leap from your current 'Buzz' .

However, at the prices you pay in the States I would say a 650 is actually a no brainer. As you have discovered it may be a wee bit high for you but there are things you can do about that see Bettys post here http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2087and the photographs here http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Ourwave.

There are only two remaining downsides to the 650 you may wish to consider:

1. It is a heavy beast so you need to take care when you park - consider how you are going to exit etc. To drag this bike around is very hard work and if you have a tight driveway/garage a turntable may be worth considering too.

2. If your husband has a try of the Burger King - you may not get it back!

As to low speed work - it is just practice , practice, practice(quiet times in the supermarket lot).

Good luck and enjoy whichever Burger you decide upon.

·
Registered
466 Posts
NormanB,

You always have a well thought out reply, it's good to have you on the web site. Keep 'em coming.

Thanx
Russ

P.S. I see you are an engineer also, what kind of train do you drive?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Russ Schaeffer said:
NormanB,

You always have a well thought out reply, it's good to have you on the web site. Keep 'em coming.

Thanx
Russ

P.S. I see you are an engineer also, what kind of train do you drive?
Why thanks Russ :oops: :oops:

Train - what like a mule train - Nah -

Engines boy - Engines:
Boilers
Steam Turbines
Gas Turbines
Diesels
Electrical Generators
HVAC, Distillation plants
SEWAGE TREATMENT PLANTS (it may be **** to you but it is money to me).

All of the above normally wrapped up in a tin can of the grey funnel line!!

·
Registered
466 Posts
NormB,

No trains for me either.

At Work: CAD Designer-Aerospace (Airplanes)
At Home: Motorcycle tuner/racer, ex-karter and domestic home waste manager (I get to plunge out the John Crapper!)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Vespa150 move to a 400 or 650 Burgman

Janine,
I owned a Vespa 150 ET4 from Aug 2001 toMarch 2004. In 2003 I had a Malossi kit(variator,Kevlar belt,oversized cylinder,piston and aheavy duty clutch)added to thebike.It was fun.However,it did not provide me with the acceleration,security that Iwanted for highwaydriving.
In March 2004 Ipurchased a usedBurgman 400(800 miles on the clock). I have been very pleased with every aspect of its performance,especially at high speed highway driving .
Last week I had aMaloss 2000 variator put on the bike. It increasd the performance and makes acceleration faster and smoother.

I am 5' 10'',185 lbs,64 years old. Ihave ridden motorcycles and scooters since I was 17 years old.After an hiatus of 24 years,
I feel that the Burgman experience has been the the most enjoyable of all.

Idon't think you can go wrong with the 400 especially in light of the questions and concerns you voiced in your posting.

Good Luck and GoodRiding.

gme (Jerry)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Which do I buy?
Please see my post on the AN650 forum "My journey to AN650 nirvana" for a discussion of both bikes.

One thing I could say other than the points already made by previous posters is that the seat on the AN400 sits slightly lower than the AN650, and this may make a difference for you. I find the AN650 to be so well balanced that the extra weight is not noticed in all but the slowest of conditions (for example, backing and crawling). I can literally keep the thing up and balanced while going just a couple of MPH... the AN400 was more of a challenge in that regard.

If you can pony up the extra couple of grand over the AN400 I'd recommend it... but the AN400 would still make you a fine ride, no doubt about it. Either bike should do well for you on the highway, but you'll find the AN650 adds a level of composure on the freeway, mostly due to its added heft and better balance.

For sure though: if you think you're at all interested in the AN650, it's better to make the leap now than to buy the AN400 and wish later you'd gone ahead and gotten the AN650... that's what I did, and it cost me, although it was worth it in some ways because I learned alot.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

WLB :)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I hadn't been around the Burgman 400 much, other than in a showroom. At Scootercade this past week I did some riding with a couple who had both a 650 and 400. We often had the group paced with the wife on the 400 in the lead, and she could move that thing through the hills, curves, and straightaways at a very good clip. My impression is that the 400 is plenty adequate for 1-up riding in any terrain if you fit comfortably on it. In my case, my legs are just too long to be comfortable on a 400. The 650 is bigger, faster, more stable, etc. - but I can now understand why the 400 is a great choice for a lot of folks.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks - I bought the AN650

After reading, sitting on, comparing and thinking about both, I bought the AN650. That's what I really wanted and my husband was quite encouraging. He said "You can handle it, so go for it." So, Friday we went to the dealer and bought the AN650 in silver. It was the only one he had. I take delivery on Tuesday. :D They are closed Sunday and Monday :( I'll let you know how I do after some parking lot rides. I'm very EXCITED :!:

Thanks for all of your input and advice.

Janine

·
Registered
111 Posts
After reading, sitting on, comparing and thinking about both, I bought the AN650. That's what I really wanted and my husband was quite encouraging. He said "You can handle it, so go for it." So, Friday we went to the dealer and bought the AN650 in silver. It was the only one he had. I take delivery on Tuesday.
Good for you! I think both bikes have their strengths but to me the AN650 is quite a step up from the AN400 considering the extra money involved. The engine is in an altogether different league... smooth as silk. I'm sure you'll be pleased with it. Keep us informed...

WLB :)

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
NormanB said:
Russ Schaeffer said:
Why thanks Russ :oops: :oops:

Train - what like a mule train - Nah -

Engines boy - Engines:
Boilers
Steam Turbines
Gas Turbines
Diesels
Electrical Generators
HVAC, Distillation plants
SEWAGE TREATMENT PLANTS (it may be **** to you but it is money to me).

All of the above normally wrapped up in a tin can of the grey funnel line!!
I knew there was something I liked about you other than your "well thought out replys". I was in sewage for my whole 32 year career. God, how I miss that smell. In my agency we used to say " Your s_ _ t's our bread and butter". :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
what to buy

With your ridding experience I would grab the 650 in a heart beat, I am 6 foot but only have a 30inch inseam and do not have any trouble at all.
BUY IT YOU WILL LOVE IT

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Having ridden both the 400 and the 650, I would recommend the 400 for you. First the 400 is lower to the ground than the 650. I'm 5'7" - on the 650 I can just barely stand flat footed if I scootch up on the seat when I stop. On the 400, I can stand over the seat and not touch it. Secondly, the 650 uses a different type of transmission than the one you are used to. On the Vespa (like my old Atlantic and the Burg 400), the transmission is controlled by the rollers and weights (a mechanical linkage). When you release the throttle, the machine will go into a 'glide' type mode with only a little engine braking. The 650, however uses its computer to control the transmission, so if you release the throttle suddenly, you WILL experience a sudden drag from the rear wheel. This can be very unnerving the first time it happens. I have 2700 miles on my 650 and still have occasional issues with engine braking (I had almost 10,000 miles on my Atlantic). Either way, both machines are good rides and you will be happy with either one you purchase.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi Janine
:hello2:

Congratulations on the new AN 650 I'm sure you will be very happy with it and will handle it like a pro. Get ready for the Burgman ( :D )

John

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi Janine,

Does that scoot seem new all over again??!!! :shaking:

As my Quality Manager husband reminds me.... "the devil is in the details". :twisted:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts