Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New rear tire (Michelin City) for $54. Installed and balanced myself. The key is s-o-a-p to make removal and mounting the new tire a ten minute job :cool: I inflated the rear tire with a bicycle-style hand pump. It was easier to pop the bead than the front tire.
[BTW- I checked the rim seal, with soapy water. Uh-oh! A small leak. It was due to a small paper sticker on the sidewall, against the rim. Easily fixed.]

New drive belt ($154)
Cleaned variator
Oil and FD oil changes
Cleaned and waxed the red (best color) bike

Took it to Pascagoula MS, saw 83 mpg over the causeway to Mobile. And 73 mpg overall. Ya gotta love it! :) Rides like a dream.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Now that's a good report!
I just paid to have my tires put on and balanced (and I think they didn't balance the front one right).
83 MPG? Dude, that's GRRRREEEAAATT! Gotta get me some of that wax. You're just gliding through the air!

·
Registered
15 Posts
what'd you use to get the tire off/on? I'm dreading tire change time. The local indy won't work on non-HD's any more, the HondasakiKTMaha dealer won't mount a tire because it's not any of his half-dozen brands, even on a carry-in/carry-out basis. I do have a bead breaker, I've done MC tires, which I think are easier because of the bigger wheels and tires, but levering that tire over that tiny rim doesn't seem fun.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use two 24-inch tire levers from Harbor Freight and some soap solution.
A frame made of 2x4 to set the tire on, so you don't mess up the brake disc.
Made my own "bead breaker" too- in a previous post.
Getting pretty good at this- down to about 10 min. to unmount and 10 min. to install.

Use a Harbor Freight balancer. No problems so far :)

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh- I think the U.S. 90 causeway to Mobile is in some weird vortex, I always get good MPG there :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey Mike, was that the original tire you replaced at 15,000 miles?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I bought the bike at 6500 miles, in 2012, the PO had installed new "Hoops" (ha). So I didn't get 15,000 out of them.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'd like to know how well they do mileage wise, i cant seem to get good miles unless i spend big money, it's almost like they have it figured out lol...6,500 miles $65...4,500 miles $45.00...10,000 miles $100.00.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I changed my rear tire and used soap and zip ties to remove the old one and mount the new one. Saw it in a YouTube video and it worked good.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I changed my rear tire and used soap and zip ties to remove the old one and mount the new one. Saw it in a YouTube video and it worked good.
Could you elaborate a little ? Perhaps a link ?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
He was getting "83 mpg over the causeway to Mobile" and that's different from a full tank of gas. You'll see short-term bursts of incredible gas mileage too, if you look for them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts