Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here, just got my first scooter after a long line of shifter bikes.

The 135/70r13 car tire is available in Europe and I think Asia. Googling, it looks like it will fit our pre-'07 400's.

Has anyone used one or know how to get one in the USA?

·
Premium Member
14,259 Posts
The problem with trying to get that tire here is that it is likely not DOT certified for use on US highways. Doesn't mean it is a bad tire, just that they have likely not sent it through the certification process. If it doesn't have a DOT identification number it would not be legal for use on US roads.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Buffalo i was thinking that as well. I'm guessing that if I had an incident, the legality of having a car tire in the first place would place my judgement into question. Figure if I'm "crazy" enough to use a car tire on a motorcycle, a non-DOT car tire isn't going to make me that much crazier. But, I've been wrong many, many times before.

Seems someone should be importing these for old Fiats, or something. Still waiting response from some Fiat restorer suppliers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Erik, I thought I saw someplace it was for an alternate size for a FIAT 126. Also I seem to recall it came on a Citroen AX.

I've contacted some European tire dealers to see if they will ship to the USA. Kind of a longshot as they probably have defined market areas. Have not heard back so far.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The problem with trying to get that tire here is that it is likely not DOT certified for use on US highways. Doesn't mean it is a bad tire, just that they have likely not sent it through the certification process. If it doesn't have a DOT identification number it would not be legal for use on US roads.
Which I guess will void your insurance if you knowingly sought one out and installed it. At the minimum, I'd imagine it would nullify your health benefits portion of your policy and probably your public liability.

However, there's no reason I'm aware of that such a tire would be refused entry. It might be purchased for use on a private golf course.

Which brings up another point. If we can get a size compatible tire for our 400's then we still face the problem of making sure we have a compatible tire on the front to our new found rear.

·
Premium Member
14,259 Posts
Which I guess will void your insurance if you knowingly sought one out and installed it. At the minimum, I'd imagine it would nullify your health benefits portion of your policy and probably your public liability.

However, there's no reason I'm aware of that such a tire would be refused entry. It might be purchased for use on a private golf course.

Which brings up another point. If we can get a size compatible tire for our 400's then we still face the problem of making sure we have a compatible tire on the front to our new found rear.
Not sure what the rules on tire certification would be in Canada.

In the USA some states that have safety inspections will not pass the vehicle if the tire is not DOT approved for highway use. So someone planning to use a tire without a DOT number would want to check this out.

Here in Texas it would be a gray area. The rules say they cannot pass a tire that is stamped "not for highway use", "for farm use only", or "for racing use only". They do not say anything about them not being stamped at all. So they might pass and they might not depending on the person doing the inspection.

Front tire is not much of an issue. Those that run car tires on the back of their bikes normally run standard motorcycle tires on the front.

Where you might get into an issue is if your area of jurisdiction does not allow mixing of radial and non radial tires. These 135/70r13 tires are radials so in that case you would want a radial tire on the front. Several companies make the 110/90 13 motorcycle tire in a radial so that is no problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
New here, just got my first scooter after a long line of shifter bikes.

The 135/70r13 car tire is available in Europe and I think Asia. Googling, it looks like it will fit our pre-'07 400's.

Has anyone used one or know how to get one in the USA?
Kuhmo lists a 135/80-r13 in their current online product listing, I don't know if it would work and I don't know if NA distributors have easy access to it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is very precious little room for a taller tire than stock. As tires can grow in diameter at speed a little, even if it was very close it would probably rub at freeway speeds or as the tire deforms radially over bumps.

Guess I'm in search of the longest lasting scooter tire I can find. I've ordered the dual compound Pure Power as it seemed like a good idea for durability, and AMT has a great price on 'em.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts