Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my scoot and need to do a little modification. I am vertically challenged and hoping to lower scoot a few inches; if possibly. I have no interest in new springs in front to lower front end. After reading much that has been written about shorter, tighter springs, I will pass. However, what about shorter rear shocks. Has anyone tried that and what do you suggest. Can I get 1-2 inch shorter shocks or are there other problems created? Lastly, concerning taking out some foam from the width of the seat may be the best option; if it is an option. The amount of foam seems like an illusion when you look at it from the side. Not sure what else I can do; I am reaching out for ideas. Thank you for the help.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
The problem with shorting the rear shocks is that the tire will contact the bottom of the trunk when you hit a large bump. That and it will change the steering of the bike if you lower just one end.

·
Registered
426 Posts
OP have you tried lowering the rear shocks pre-load? How about wearing boots or shoes fit for purpose that have thicker than normal soles or similar. Reshaping the seat as you suggest removing some of the foam towards the sides of the seat is likely an apt solution.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My wife had that issue on her Majesty. I removed the seat completely. It was two parts bolted together, the storage cover and the actual seat and pan. I added some foam to the storage cover and reupholstered it with a yard or so of marine grade vinyl. It lowered the seat by about 2" and is working very well for her.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I would go for altering the seat before anything else.

Swapping parts on the rear suspension will change the way the bike corners and handles because it will change the angle the of the front suspension.

Edit: probably a cheaper option too

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the great info from everyone (minus 1). The last time this issue was discussed here was about a year ago. I was hoping to see if any good mod was developed. I agree with everyone about NOT altering the mechanics of the scoot in any way; just the seat. I don't think it's necessary to have any more than a very small amount of foam on the inner thigh area. That alone could be a big help. There's a couple of great upholsters in S. Florida. That's my next stop

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Automatic , when you are sitting on the bike exactly how many inches are you short of putting both feet on the ground ? In other words , how many inches would the bike have to be lowered for you to be able to flat foot it at a stop .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
One thing that some of you may not realize, is that the seat on the 2013 models is wider in the front than the original seat that most of us have. If the seat foam was shaved, it would lower the sitting position, but the wide part of the seat would be touching further up on the legs, thus increasing the stance at a complete stop. I have no clue why they decided to widen the seat at the front. I find the 2013 model to be very uncomfortable to hold up, straddling the seat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts