Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 13 400 and the fuel gauge shows full until about 46 or so miles have been ridden from fill up. This happens every time I fill, regardless of filling to first pump click or filling even more, almost to the top.

Have others experienced this situation?

I have had the fuel sender unit replaced but this situation still exists. Of course, I reset my trip mileage at fill ups so I know how long till empty.

Based upon the inaccurate fuel gauge, I could be well into the red mark on the gauge and still have fuel left.

:happy5:

·
Registered
748 Posts
A gallon on top where you're talking, a gallon in the red, and the last gallon throughout the whole middle. (1/2 gal below red too)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have a 13 400 and the fuel gauge shows full until about 46 or so miles have been ridden from fill up. This happens every time I fill, regardless of filling to first pump click or filling even more, almost to the top.

Have others experienced this situation?

I have had the fuel sender unit replaced but this situation still exists. Of course, I reset my trip mileage at fill ups so I know how long till empty.

Based upon the inaccurate fuel gauge, I could be well into the red mark on the gauge and still have fuel left.

:happy5:
Just my opinion BUT my 2008 400 does the very same thing........ We are getting good fuel mileage, that is all...... Never had a problem!!

·
Premium Member
12,607 Posts
when the needle stops going down and the engine stops making that hummy sound it's empty, the gage is just there to tell you when you should fill up, anywhere in the red is fine other than that it is about as useful as the coolant level window

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
icycler, it's normal, don't worry! Most gauges on bikes and car are the same if you notice. That's how they are designed. The Burgman gauge is designed to make sure you have fuel left in the tank even when you are near the bottom of the red section of the gauge. So you don't easily run out! You will find the gauge indicates slow fuel usage from full, but increases the rate at which the needle drops as the fuel goes down. It makes the gauge more accurate towards the end of your fuel usage. At least, that's the idea...

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
"Hummy sound" :D
That's funny! Except mine makes a rackety sound usually. Does yours have the optional rotary engine :cool:

·
Registered
427 Posts
A gallon on top where you're talking, a gallon in the red, and the last gallon throughout the whole middle. (1/2 gal below red too)
I verified this today. I pulled into my home station and pumped 3.424 gallons and went 216.2 miles on the previous tank. That needle was resting at the bottom of the red for about 20 miles, I was a little nervous. :D

I thought the needle moved through the red zone pretty darn quick, almost like I had a V8. But I was having fun on some nice roads and it was a beautiful day.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My 2011 does the same thing and so does my 2008 SYM RV250. I remember well the days of no gas gage at all...start running out, reach down, switch to the reserve for a few extra miles. I am very glad to have a gas gage these days.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
got a 2013 and i've learned that when the needle reaches the red you have still 1.3 gallons left. I haven't run out of gas just yet but I've ridden about 155 miles in one tank at 75mph.
As others mention, when full the needle moves slow once it reaches 3/4 starts going down faster.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Since 1975, I have had a lot of bikes both with and without fuel gauges. I ignore fuel gauges. I set the trim odometer to 0 at every refueling and that is my fuel gauge. I know how far I have gone and when I need gas.

·
Registered
484 Posts
400 fuel gauge

So as a recap, about how much gas is left when the needle "Hits" the red mark, and how much is left when it's at the bottom of the red mark?
Thanks, Bill...

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I ran mine out once, 244 miles it hiccuped once and stopped,
half is about half 6.5 litres I seem to remember it did 5 or 10
miles once it got to the end of the red when it touches the red I fill it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
So as a recap, about how much gas is left when the needle "Hits" the red mark - Some

and how much is left when it's at the bottom of the red mark? - Less
Thanks, Bill...
That about right? :confused:

Just bought my Burg yesterday... Second thing I did was look for the "Reserve" switch on the left. :rolleyes:

I noticed when I shine a flashlight down into the tank, it looks pretty open... Has anyone made up a "fuel stick" for it to "dip" the tank? Or is that getting just a bit too OCD? :D

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yeah...a bit ocd! The gauge is fine and usually quite accurate. It's designed to read on the slow side as it drops when the tank is full. So you may go 50 miles with the gauge on full after a fill up. Then it starts to drop. As the fuel runs down the gauge will reflect this by dropping faster. The sender is calibrated to read differently on the second half of the fuel in the tank. A small amount of fuel used will show a bigger drop on the gauge needle for more accuracy.

·
Registered
345 Posts
ON my 2013 400, WHen the needle is within the upper red zone, my fillup is about 2.3-2.5 gallons . When the needle goes to the bottom of the red zone and points at "e", my fillup is about 2.75 gallons. I let the needle go way below the e line once, and it took 3 gals to fill up.

Given the fuel Tank Capacity is 3.5 gal US - Including Reserve, there remains between 1 gal to 1/2 gal once the needle reaches or goes past the red zone.

·
Registered
66 Posts
On mine, when the needle crawls into the red zone, I have about 3 liters (0,79 gal.) left, and I know I'm good for at least 50 km, or more if I ride in a fuel-saving mode. Also, the needle stays on top for quite some time, then drops rather fast, as is the case with some of the people here.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Forgot to update this... I had my first fill-up, finally. I let the needle go to the bottom of the red-zone, and filled it with 3 "burps," and the total came to 3.2 gallons. So I still had a good half-gallon left! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine does pretty much the same. Takes about a gallon before the needle drops to full, then maybe 1.5 gallons to the red then another gallon in the red. It takes some getting used to but its nothing strange. I've had the same in other bikes and in cages.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts