Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several reviewers have noted that the new B650 isn't as peppy at low speed due to the "Eco" geared CVT vs the '12 model. They have noted a sluggish feel at 35-45 mph which doesn't exist in the '12

Can any of the owners comment on this new feel to the CVT? In the desire for better gas mileage how much does the new B650 give up in terms of day to day performance in the drive mode?

Most of the comments about the '13 model have been positive except the sluggishness at lower speeds and the controversial speedometer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just got a '13 B650 in December. Certainly haven't got anything to complain about in the performance department in Drive, Power, or Manual mode. Yes, the speedo is still 10% off. Guess it depends on your definition of 'peppy', but I haven't noticed anything sluggish about it at 35-45mph.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have 2010 and 2013 in the garage and ride both. Except for the engine braking on the 2013 in auto, the performance is the same, and with the 2013 with the improved fuel economy. Note that the 2013 seemed to run freer right form new - and also the 2010 was only really run in at about 9500km. One trip in spring, we were about halfway there and suddenly it was running freer and hence run in.

Both are great scooter

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I have 2010 and 2013 in the garage and ride both. Except for the engine braking on the 2013 in auto, the performance is the same

Please comment 2013 engine braking, have more, less, equal, how different. etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is less engine braking effect on the new model. Personally, I think it is perfect. My only issue with my '09 was the harsh engine braking whenever I closed the throttle. Never quite got comfortable with it. As far as the overall performance, the new model might be a tad "soft" when accelerating at lower speed but when compared to the overall performance (increased mpg, very easy to maneuver with engine off, lower rpm hence smoother at cruising speed) it should be a non issue. Besides, that is why there is a power button....

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
There is less engine braking effect on the new model. Personally, I think it is perfect. My only issue with my '09 was the harsh engine braking whenever I closed the throttle. Never quite got comfortable with it. As far as the overall performance, the new model might be a tad "soft" when accelerating at lower speed but when compared to the overall performance (increased mpg, very easy to maneuver with engine off, lower rpm hence smoother at cruising speed) it should be a non issue. Besides, that is why there is a power button....
+1, I agree.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
thmoze
Thanks for the info. Nice to have folks that have had the older 650's & 13 or new so they can relate the differences. Kind of like us that have or had 400 & 650's. ;)

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Me really love Burgman 650 engine braking, it fantastic feature, when move from conventional motorcycle to 650 it take 2 season to learn proper micro feather throttle, when master micro feather of 650 throttle engine braking is FANTASTIC it not abrupt or detrimental in any way plus so very useful.

Me disappoint that less engine braking on 2013-14.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I'd sure like to put a 2013 ECU in my 2007, since I find the 3000 rpm lower threshold annoying when riding at city speeds.
A clutch that makes the bike easier to push around would also be welcome, but not if it means higher engaging rpm's

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Me really love Burgman 650 engine braking, it fantastic feature, when move from conventional motorcycle to 650 it take 2 season to learn proper micro feather throttle, when master micro feather of 650 throttle engine braking is FANTASTIC it not abrupt or detrimental in any way plus so very useful.
I'm with you. I ride about 90% of the time on crooked mountain roads. The engine braking saves the brakes and make crooked mountain downgrades much easier. The braking with the power button engaged is especially handy. It only took me a few days to adjust to the throttle after I decided it worked like a rheostat rather a normal throttle.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. You have confirmed that the '13 Burg 650 is a tad soft when accelerating at lower speeds. This is exactly what the professional reviewers mentioned in their write-ups. I guess this slower around town acceleration in drive mode is for better fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
MCN shows the 2013 slightly faster than the 650 they tested in 5/04 in the 0-60mph and the 0-1/4 mile. But, they are so close, it does not make any real world difference.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MCN shows the 2013 slightly faster than the 650 they tested in 5/04 in the 0-60mph and the 0-1/4 mile. But, they are so close, it does not make any real world difference.
Power mode vs Drive Mode? The reviewers stated the slight feeling of sluggishness in lower speed acceleration was in DRIVE mode only. Power mode should be identical to 2012.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
If it accelerates to slow at a given throttle opening, THEN OPEN THE THROTTLE MORE.

The fact that the "journalists" finds it "sluggish" tells me that Suzuki finally have realized that we have an automatic transmission, which can downshift WHEN NEEDED and stay in the tallest possible gear the rest of the time.

To me thats the whole point of the E-CVT. To be able to ride around with low revs most of the time like a 1000CC+ bike, and having available power by instantly "dropping 3 gears" as you twist the throttle hard.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If it accelerates to slow at a given throttle opening, THEN OPEN THE THROTTLE MORE.

The fact that the "journalists" finds it "sluggish" tells me that Suzuki finally have realized that we have an automatic transmission, which can downshift WHEN NEEDED and stay in the tallest possible gear the rest of the time.

To me thats the whole point of the E-CVT. To be able to ride around with low revs most of the time like a 1000CC+ bike, and having available power by instantly "dropping 3 gears" as you twist the throttle hard.
I agree, saves on gas and power when you need it... sounds like suzuki got it right.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I'm with you. I ride about 90% of the time on crooked mountain roads. The engine braking saves the brakes and make crooked mountain downgrades much easier. The braking with the power button engaged is especially handy. It only took me a few days to adjust to the throttle after I decided it worked like a rheostat rather a normal throttle.
One quirk to be aware of is that if you're going very slow, the clutch may disengage! (Or, if you start out coasting downhill, never engage in the first place.) Had that happen to me once in a slow group on a steep downhill (left to myself I'd have gone slightly faster and it wouldn't have been an issue) and it took me an anxious half-minute or so to figure out what had happened.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have a 2012 650.. andfrankly, love the engine braking.. For me,it just becomes part of the bike and I counton it when riding.. as forthe speedo..MIne is off 10% like about every other Mfg. speedo.. That's nothing new.. It was that way on my PIaggio and it's simply a math formula in my head.. speed limit 55.. ,I have the speedo at 60 .. at 65, I have the speedoat 71 or so, speed limit 35, I am at 39 to 40.. .. no biggie.. just part of riding the bike is all..

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
If engine braking is problem it because rider not know how handle throttle and bike. Perhap Honda Giorgino or Yamaha Vino would be better for some, they not have engine braking.

It amazing that some still complain about speedo when exist very modern electronic device that fix this very easy, it call GPS, not expensive, very easy to operate and extremely useful.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
If engine braking is problem it because rider not know how handle throttle and bike. Perhap Honda Giorgino or Yamaha Vino would be better for some, they not have engine braking.

It amazing that some still complain about speedo when exist very modern electronic device that fix this very easy, it call GPS, not expensive, very easy to operate and extremely useful.
Do you know of one that has the exact size to cover the then redundant speedometer?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts