Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to mount a Passport Radar Detector over the left hand brake reservoir with a RAM mount and run the power cord hidden under the left side handlebar cover. Can anyone suggest which component next to the hand grip to tap?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
it is pretty easy to get to the wiring on the back side of the cig. lighter, it is already fused and shuts off with the key.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I wouldn't recommend hooking it up to the lights, but like symtastic I suspect the cigarette lighter would be ok for a radar detector.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
The cigarette lighter is a good Option But you don't want to put to much of a load on it, Even tho it Only Comes on with the Key in The Ignition it may be what you want As to not make a Mistake and leave the Unit running when you leave your Bike, As of yet? Still have not found another TAP for Ignition ON/UNIT ON Ignition OFF/UNIT OFF hooking it Direct to the battery will be Continues Power to the Unit, Which is good for Radios,and Devices that need to keep MEMORY.

Elliott,

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Most (though not all!) modern electronics which need to keep memory active do that with a large internal capacitor which will keep it alive for many months without any battery power at all. Of course a radar detector doesn't generally need to hold memory and has only a minimal draw when active, so I suspect the cig lighter will work well in this application. I can guarantee it works well with a Garmin Nuvi 50LM GPS.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I ran two wires from the battery + & - to the front on my 650 protected by a 20 amp fuse. At the front I mounted a splice bar from Radio Shack.

I reconnected the cigarette lighter to this strip plus the electronic cruise control and have both switched and constant power for anything I add. I mounted it to the top of the exterior center glove box

1 - 8 of 8 Posts