Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this has been addressed, but I could not find a thread.

Here I was so proud to mount a GPS holder to my Left side brake fluid reservoir using tasteful zip ties instead of Ram mounts.

I plug in the 12 volt adaptor and I could not shut the access door--the Garmin plug is way too long and the door does not even come close to shutting. I have other USB cable with proper micro USB end on the GPS side, but am looking for a solution. Maybe, a much shorter plug to go into the 12 Volt adaptor.

Thanks,
Simba

I am planning to go around Lake Superior in May and will need my GPS with some preprogrammed view points.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Look for a Y adapter with wires
connecting the sockets, & just
let it all lay in the glove box.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
View attachment 25297

This one installs flush with the power outlet and allows a USB plug / cord. The box closes with no clearance issues. I also cut a very small portion of the upper left box trim, just on the inside, for the cord to pass. But ultimately I am going permanently wire a Garmin power cord through the Tupperware.

Only problem with the current setup is the Garmin thinks its attached to a computer and does an overly long start up procedure. Hence the permanent solution.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If you are handy with a soldering-iron, the best way is to remove the top cover and install the satnav's original power-supply cord suitably modified at the plug-in end (the end that plugs into the accessory socket) by soldering a black 1mm (-) lead to the outer casing, and a red 1mm(+) lead to the centre pip via a 2A in-line fuse and well-insulating it all. The other ends of these two leads are piggy-backed (or soldered) to the - and + terminals on the back of the accessory socket - thus becoming live only when the ignition is on (and also benefitting from the socket's 10A fuse back-up in the unlikely event of a real catastrophe.) The satnav plug(feed) end of the curly cable is fed up through the handlebar covers to terminate at the satnav mount where the plug lives - when not in use - in a flattened piece of nylon tube to protect it from the weather. My pictures show a bit of an electrical mess and I am in the process of tidying it all up which is why the covers are off.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Everybody--I found a short 12V outlet with a USB port. The door closes just barely once the cable is attached. I also ordered the above from ebay and will give feedback once I get it.

Now I need a way to get the cable to get to the GPS without drilling a hole in the front.

Thanks
Simba

·
Registered
426 Posts
Thanks Everybody--I found a short 12V outlet with a USB port. The door closes just barely once the cable is attached. I also ordered the above from ebay and will give feedback once I get it.

Now I need a way to get the cable to get to the GPS without drilling a hole in the front.

Thanks
Simba
Thread cbable through the back side of the central cubby, there is a plate of some sort (can't recall what the plate was/is for) that you can use to pass the cable 'through' then thread up towards steering head/top of forks, up through the opening in the plastic of the plastic surround (I'm referring to the plastic that sits underneath the handle bar plastics). Then find a suitable route from there to your location. I fitted a no name brand device holder onto the top of the dash on two of my Burgy650's, but am looking at buying one of these...http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.162.gvn8aH&id=37939658216 for my AN650L4 - a lot more money but seems really tidy. Not sure if it would fit an older model e.g. K3-L2 but will likely find out as I plan on buying the unit which I can try out here on my AN650K7 before taking with me on my next trip back home to NZ to fit on my L4.

Garmin devices also can be a bit temperamental to cables that are not Garmin specific...

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm going to try this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUAL-OUTLET-SOCKET-AUTO-CIGARETTE-LIGHTER-12-V-DC-SWIVEL-PLUG-Y-ADAPTER-SPLITTER-/221397749303?pt=US_12_Volt_Portable_Car_Appliances&hash=item338c558e37

Hoping the door will close.

Had to ride with the door open yesterday so I could charge my phone.
Felt something hit my left boot and saw a black object on Interstate behind me.
Thought at first it was my phone that was pushed all the way in on the right side!
It was the access cover to the left of the glove box.

Now to order a new cover.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
That too and it stays charging...the risk of course is a dead battery but the draw is pretty low on an iPhone etc.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do the newer Burgmans still have the same poor location of the 12V receptacle?

I also had the Left glove compartment cover fall off but my wife who was riding behind me saw it and we turned around and picked it up undamaged.

I picked up a lower profile plug with a USB port and it works well--the door barely closes with the cable attached. I know I will have a simple better solution soon.

Simba

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Do the newer Burgmans still have the same poor location of the 12V receptacle?
No. They moved it over on the deep side and back.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
If you are looking for a low cost and flexible mount...

easy to read and the screen works....I set it up initially on the left then switched it to the right....
works the charm

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
(1) Buy a marine-type 12volt accessory socket with a weatherproof cover - is it easily obtainable. (2)Drill a hole for it wherever you need it - mine is on the front near the ignition switch, see pix (3) Wire it in parallel with the original one and that's it. It will be protected by the original fuse and be much more accessible and you won't lose any covers.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Everybody for your suggestions and PM.
I will come up with something and let you know.
I am planning a trip around Lake Superior around May 24th-May 28th. I have downloaded a trip route on my GPS.
Simba

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
(1) Buy a marine-type 12volt accessory socket with a weatherproof cover - is it easily obtainable. (2)Drill a hole for it wherever you need it - mine is on the front near the ignition switch, see pix (3) Wire it in parallel with the original one and that's it. It will be protected by the original fuse and be much more accessible and you won't lose any covers.
Hi Peelbrow can you please post a few photo of plastic base you use on top of left brake reservoir, it look like interesting component.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts