Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
18,687 Posts
7Mile, there are a few FD's on Ebay. But one in $85 and free shipping but it looks like it is missing the first gear that is the input from the clutch. I took his picture and added a red circle.
Ebay final drive.jpg

·
Administrator
18,687 Posts
7Miles,

I looked at my oil change log and found that I have done 5 oil changes and only 1 Final Drive fluid change in the 25,000 miles since I bought this 650. I had changed them all the week I got it used. So 25,000 miles on the FD fluid.

I have always used Valvoline Syn 75W90 gear lube. This time I am using RedLine Syn 75W90 low viscosity that is a creamy white out of the bottle. I will check the fluid in 7,000 miles if I remember to.

With 25K miles, You'd think the fluid and magnet would be dirty. Nope, honey colored fluid and just a fine amount of steel filings on the mag.
20200807_132542.jpg Magnet is lightly dirty.

20200807_132606.jpg Clean and honey colored

20200807_132537.jpg Hand Impact tool and 8mm (5/16) socket. Always remove the fill plug first.

20200807_132717.jpg Oil in pan is from engine oil filter.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
@Dave_J , I like your fancy oil pan shown. Did you have to pay a lot for that?
Even has a capped drain spout!

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Administrator
18,687 Posts
And a carry handle too.

I have a few Quart size ones too.

I have a BLACK one here somewhere. The part I cut out went on my 1st 2008 650 as a front 'Fenderextenda' to keep stones and mud out of the radiator.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Your fluid looks delicious. I'm envious.

I'm not sure if I complained of a slight front end wobble on here on not. But it has gotten much worse. It's the front tire. I don't know if it is out of balance or what. When I lean right at slow speed, like turning into or out of a parking lot, I feel a bit of wobble being on the right side of the tire. Not so much when leaning left. And now it does the wobble from about 15 mph to 35 mph. It wobbles the whole front end of the bike gently left and right the rate speed dependent. It smooths out at higher speeds. Just rode down from my dad's house last night. Fine on the interstate at 70 mph. I don't know if it is a balance thing, or if the front tire has a broken belt. The way it has gotten worse, I suspect a belt.

But it is bad enough now that I think I'm going to have to rearrange my garage (because it is jam-packed with toys), lift the front and rear off the ground, pull the wheels, get a new front, go dark on the rear and pull apart the FD, see what's going on in there. That whole project may take me a couple weeks. I don't work fast on stuff I'm new at (new at least on this sickle). And I have to rearrange because if I pull the wheels off where I normally park it, I won't be able to get my Scamp out.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Your fluid looks delicious. I'm envious.

I'm not sure if I complained of a slight front end wobble on here on not. But it has gotten much worse. It's the front tire. I don't know if it is out of balance or what. When I lean right at slow speed, like turning into or out of a parking lot, I feel a bit of wobble being on the right side of the tire. Not so much when leaning left. And now it does the wobble from about 15 mph to 35 mph. It wobbles the whole front end of the bike gently left and right the rate speed dependent. It smooths out at higher speeds. Just rode down from my dad's house last night. Fine on the interstate at 70 mph. I don't know if it is a balance thing, or if the front tire has a broken belt. The way it has gotten worse, I suspect a belt.

But it is bad enough now that I think I'm going to have to rearrange my garage (because it is jam-packed with toys), lift the front and rear off the ground, pull the wheels, get a new front, go dark on the rear and pull apart the FD, see what's going on in there. That whole project may take me a couple weeks. I don't work fast on stuff I'm new at (new at least on this sickle). And I have to rearrange because if I pull the wheels off where I normally park it, I won't be able to get my Scamp out.
Could be the tire, as you suspect. Or could be the wheel bearings. I'm not an expert on this, but I think you should check out side-to-side free play when you have the wheel off the ground.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Could be the tire, as you suspect. Or could be the wheel bearings. I'm not an expert on this, but I think you should check out side-to-side free play when you have the wheel off the ground.
Agreed. I sort of jiggled the front wheel while riding to see if anything felt … not right. It all felt OK, the people on the interstate behind me during this "safety check" were probably confused or uncomfortable with what I was doing. I do get some kind of moaning sound from the front end under certain circumstances, that I had figured was the bearing. But when I was reading about tires, a couple few people mentioned a moaning noise from BattleAx tires, so I dunno.

Since owning the Burgman, the front end has felt harsh. The back end feels quite good. I wonder if maybe the P.O. whomped a pothole just right and damaged the tire, and slowly I've been noticing it get worse. It has less than 13k on it. But I'm close to certain it is the original tire, so it is what … 10 years into its service life maybe?

I shall inspect free play as you suggest once I'm in process of changing the tires.

·
Premium Member
8,323 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
This new(er) forum software doesn't allow members to delete any posts. Only the moderator/admin can do that... and even then it's still floating around somewhere in the forum database even if not able to be seen by members any more.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
This new(er) forum software doesn't allow members to delete any posts. Only the moderator/admin can do that... and even then it's still floating around somewhere in the forum database even if not able to be seen by members any more.
But you can edit down to almost nothing, as you saw.
Maybe put in an "oops, nevermind" or something similar.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
But I'm close to certain it is the original tire, so it is what … 10 years into its service life maybe?
Whoa. It's long overdue replacement (just from age)!
And if it's never been replaced, odds are the bearings haven't been touched either. Swap 'em while you've got the wheel off, just for peace of mind even if they still look good.

Also, darksiding will slightly change the bike's handling characteristics.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
You guys say, "swap them bearings." Ok, fine. But I don't just have replacement bearings laying around. And I don't know how to go about finding & ordering replacement bearings. I didn't see any at Walmart either. :D So, if you guys would go ahead and smack me upside the head with the info, I might learn. Maybe. Plus, I don't rightly know how to slap 'em out, and slap 'em in.

Also, I wanted to let you guys know. I done failed getting the front wheel off, cause I ain't done got me no 12 mm hex bit. Harbor Freight (here) doesn't sell them individually, so I ordered one from Amazon, due Wednesday. I did get the rear wheel off. Somebody should warn a brother that the hardest part of getting the rear off is squeezing it out, under and around the wheel shroud in the rear license plate area. That's the first thing.

And also, I haven't done busted open the Final Drive just yet, but I'm already seeing some suspicious things. Those 2 (I guess) bushings on the right side of the wheel trapped between the wheel and swing arm frame, it has a groove scored in it that don't look too good. It makes me think I'm gonna have to replace it. I'll get a picture of it and see if I can't slap it on here tonight or tomorrow.

I'm going to beat, bang, and bust on the sickle tonight and take the front fender off, and the calipers and have it ready to go when the 12 mm hex bit gets here. And I'm going to go ahead and drain the FD and possibly even bust off the FD cover. I use "bust" a lot because I tend to tear up a lot of ****, and have to refix it later. That's my skill in life, bust it and fix it.

7milesout

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
You guys say, "swap them bearings." Ok, fine. But I don't just have replacement bearings laying around. And I don't know how to go about finding & ordering replacement bearings. I didn't see any at Walmart either. :D So, if you guys would go ahead and smack me upside the head with the info, I might learn. Maybe. Plus, I don't rightly know how to slap 'em out, and slap 'em in.
2016-11-04_12-05-49.JPG

This will do it for your '11 650, front and rear, and is what I have in underseat storage on my '08 Exec, and an identical set is what is inside the wheels themselves. (Or, I'm sure you can order OEM bearings at any of the usual suspects, i.e., PartsPitStop, Oneida, etc.)

To, um, get All Balls, you can go to, for instance, Motorcycle Wheel Bearings & ATV Wheel Bearings | All Balls Racing and enter:

Scooter
Suzuki
AN650 Burgman

And you will see those part numbers.

Uh, I just noticed that the front package -- 25-1211 -- is listed as being out of stock (at least this second). I see that they're also on Amazon at the moment: Amazon.com: All Balls 25-1211 Wheel Bearing Kit: Automotive

I let the pros do the bearing removal and installs, along with the wheel and tire removals and installs, either at a local Suzuki shop or an independent shop that I go to. I have the bearings replaced approximately every other tire change.

Good luck.

Reactions: Rusty J and Dave_J

·
Administrator
18,687 Posts
Wheel bearings are as follows
Front 2 each 6203 2RS
Rear 2 each 6204 2RS

Seals are as follows
Front 1 each 22x40x7 left side. 1 each 24x40x7 right side. All numbers are in MM
Rear 1 each 28x47x7 right side.
There is a seal for the final drive for the left rear wheel that most do not change. It is big.

All these bearings can be ordered off Ebay or any of the online motorcycle supplies like BikeBandit.

You can get it in a kit with 2 bearings and these two seals from AllBalls on line.
Rear kit 25-1380 | All Balls Racing

The Front kit is "Out of stock" from AllBalls but here is the link
Front kit 25-1211 | All Balls Racing

Here is a PDF guide on replacing bearings

·
Registered
146 Posts
Personally, I wouldn’t change the front wheel bearings unless they are worn loose, or damaged.. Every time you press out an old one, the bore interference decreases, and your new bearing Isn’t as tight as designed, and then it wears faster, and before you know it, you’re replacing bearings every tire change. viscous circle, but to each their own.
What I would do on your front tire removal, is use a permanent marker, and mark a spot on the inner bearing race before you disturb it’s rotational alignment ( Don’t rotate the axle bolt).
This mark will allow you to re-assemble it with the inner race 180 degrees out from previous install. ( Inner race doesn’t rotate, so all load wear is on one side of the race).

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

Agreed. I think it may have to do with my FD. I did another FD oil change this weekend after ~1,000 miles, and it was metal filled again. Something is going wrong in there and I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and tear it open and see if I can repair it … or wind up on my ear or worse.

This kind of issue with my FD is exactly my kryptonite. The thought of tearing into it freezes me in my tracks. But once I make up my mind to do it I frequently find that it was much easier than I had suspected.
Well. I just tore the cover off. I'm going to have to say I've pretty much got TOTAL FINAL DRIVE FAILURE.

I took pictures. Gonna start a new thread sbout it. Maybe tonight or tomorrow. I'm going to need you guys expert opinions and guidance to resolve this. I'll say, no wonder Ive got so much noise.

A quick summary. It looks as if the 2nd bearing back from the front, on the main FD housing is in process of flying apart. I'm not sure what it's called, but the little guide loop things around the balls, one of them is sticking out. So that bearing is a gonner. But that allowed that second gear to squirm and its teeth are all toe up at the edges. Then the primary driven gear (gear number 1) has its teeth fairly gnawed up from being meshed up with #2 gear in there doing its dance. Number 3 gear is fairly bad too. Number 4 looks like there some evidence from number 3. Big ole number 5 looks ok.

So looks like I'm going to buy a used FD from ebay or similar and be swapping gears and at least one bearing. I'll make sure all the other bearings are ok.

I don't know how hard the bearing(s) will be to remove and replace. It is not beyond my capabilities, but it is something I have not done before.

·
Administrator
18,687 Posts
I would just get a used Final Drive and fill it with Valvoline Synt 75W90 and ride. I would not even crack the new to you used one open.

The amount of 650 members on here, you are likely the 2nd to have issues. Odds are in your favor the used one will be good for another 100,000 miles.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I think it would be much more difficult to swap the whole Final Drive than to just swap pieces. Am I wrong?

I'm working on the new post with pictures now, if you want respond there.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts