Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I left my father's house and decided to take a ride out of my way to see something of interest. On the way there I was cruising the interstate at 75 - 80 mph. This stretch of interstate was only 2 lanes in each direction, but mostly rural. Smooth roads. I could see someway back a headlight seemingly working hard to get to me. Meaning, even though the traffic is fairly light, there's always bozo's hanging out in the left lane blocking up faster traffic.

But after not such a long time, I hear the unmistakable sound of a H-D and before I could get out of the way, this bozo (me) got passed on the right by the H-D. Looked like a 1,200 Sportster so I decided to ride along with him at his pace. His pace went from 85 mph to WOT because evidently he didn't want me to keep up. Soon as I merged to the right I went ahead and folded in the mirrors and dropped the windshield. When I noticed we were at 95 mph in my mind I said, "he's trying to lose me" and "screw it, now's my chance." So I twisted the throttle all the way to the cable's yield strength. Next thing I know, I look down, see 103 mph and decided maybe I orta be watching what I'm doing.

Then I rolled right on by him sitting up. I didn't sport bike crouch into it at all. We had clear sailing ahead and he was giviner all she had, and so was I. I didn't blow him off the road, but I did roll past him convincingly. We came upon some traffic and then simulated that run another time, then I got to my exit. He came by with a nice wave. Not many H-D riders would wave at a scooter, but I guess he felt a little different about scooters after this run in.

I exited, stopped at a gas 'n guzzle and choked me down a refreshing beverage (soda). I decided to push the button on the speedo healer while stopped and the dash read 105 mph. Later last night I was playing with the navi built in on the sickle and it had a max speed of 103 mph. So I still have some playing around with the speedo healer to get it closer to 100% accurate.

Points to be made: It was as safe as it gets, to do such a thing. The bike felt steady … but with my Shrek arse on it, it's probably going to stay steady longer than some of you, "eating tea 'n dunking crumpers" types. The H-D rider was a similar Shrek as me. He was shorter with a lot mo' belly than I. I'm taller, with a barrel chest and belly. He and I should have been fairly equal in overall Shrekage. Last point, El Burgo didn't feel like it had much left in it. If I had tucked and gave her a minute, I'm thinking the speedo might have got up to, ohhhhh maybe 110 mph, which would have been roughly 108 mph. Taint no way El Burgo is gonna hit 123 mph, at least not mine.

Dave - it's just not right that you blow nitrous through your Burgo and won't admit it to us! 😁

·
Administrator
18,362 Posts
While I have been known to blow some Methane gas out my ***, No NOS was used in my top speed run.

I am now running a 155/65 14 Car tire and it has made my speedo closer to true. I have not tried a GPS yet.
But I know for a fact with a 165/65 14 Car tire on, this 2003 650 will show 110 MPH on the speedo. That is with a stock screen, Mirrors still out, GIVI top box and two GIVI side cases too. Dirty air flow.

IF and its a BIG IF, the speedo was correct with the 160/60 14 BattleAx tire, then:
  • A 155/65 14 Car tire is 1.7% faster, 65 MPH is 66.13 MPH
  • A 165/60 14 Car tire is 1.1% faster, 65 MPH is 65.71 MPH
  • A 165/65 14 Car tire is 3.9% faster, 65 MPH is 67.67 MPH
  • A 185/65 14 Car tire is 5.2% faster, 65 MPH is 68.56 MPH but this tire will not fit unmodified and is not recommended.
  • A 150/70 14 Motorcycle tire is 3.2% faster, 65 MPH is 67.14 MPH and will keep you on MOTORCYCLE tires.
When I had the 185/60 14 car tire on my 2008 it required a LOT of work to get it to fit. My gas mileage went down a lot. It took more work at slow speeds to corner. It hit the trunk bottom on bumps.

Reactions: Tromper

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would feel safer with a car tire on there whilst hitting warp speed. I don't remember who posted about the "POWER" button being good until about 60 mph, then switching back to NORMAL yields greater power. But whoever posted that, they are right. Not sure exactly when the shift should take place, 60 mph did work out good. But the Power setting is better down low.

It's kind of like a 2 speed trans for "racing." Once in Normal mode, manual shifting gears 4, 5 and 6 are good for maneuvering through traffic.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Later last night I was playing with the navi built in on the sickle and it had a max speed of 103 mph. So I still have some playing around with the speedo healer to get it closer to 100% accurate.
Dave - it's just not right that you blow nitrous through your Burgo and won't admit it to us! 😁
Well, yep, you have some SpeedoHealer work to do. But it's possible you did it right, at one time. Let's do some math.

I've been using Michelin Pilot Sport 160/60R-14 tires for the rear for some years now. It starts out life at ~ 22" in total outside diameter, with a maximum tread depth of ~ 8/32.

(Notes:
  • I keep track of the siping depth, along with the date and mileage, when I have new tires put on.
  • I've also measured that depth at 9/32. And I may be off an inch either way -- I just did a really rough measurement -- regarding the OD of the tire, but that won't affect anything before the third significant digit in the following.)
So, if the SH were adjusted correctly with a new tire, but then the bike gets ridden and the tire wears down to its legal limit -- 2/32" -- here's how I figure it will affect the speedo:
  • 22" OD
  • 8/32 - 2/32 = 6/32 (start minus finish depth)
  • 6/32 X 2 = 12/32 (because we're using the diameter, not the radius, so the decrease is on the overall OD)
  • 22 - 12/32 = 21.625
  • 21.625 / 22 = .983
So, we have a decrease in the diameter, courtesy of normal wear, of about 2%. And that equates to a corresponding decrease in the actual speed, versus what the speedometer (SH-equipped or not) is showing.

Now, regarding your GPS vs. SH, we have a difference of:
  • 103 / 105 = .981
And that, too, is remarkably close to what I've just calculated. So, if you had calibrated your SH with new tires AND your tires are now ready for replacement, that would explain things. At least, if my math and reasoning are correct.

I like to set my SH going about 70MPH, on a flat, level, straight, stretch of highway, using a phone app or a GPS, and doing the math. I find that setting the bike in Manual mode makes it easier to try to maintain a constant speed. I rarely bother to adjust the SH as tires wear, because I'm also in the habit of getting new tires at the start of each season (along with a bike inspection here in NY), so I won't have to be bothered with tires during the season; I don't ride enough in my later years to actually fully consume either the front or the back tire.

Regarding @Dave_J's report over the years of his being clocked by a curious cop -- with LIDAR, as I recall -- at ~ 120MPH (also as I recall), I still just can't get my head around that. Dave's a stand-up guy, and a codger like me, so it's my problem, not his. My top speed has been 101 a few times; I've felt that maybe I could do 102 or 103 those times, with longer stratight stretches and optimal visibility, but that's pretty much it. 101 was also the top speed reported by Motorcycle Consumer News, using a radar gun, when they reviewed the Big Burger (back in 2004, I believe), with a full road test. Go figure.

Here's a shot of my Nuvi, after a round-trip to the MotoGP races in Indy with my buddy (who was on the '08 Exec I now own, but this is regarding my '07 Exec) in 2009:

2009-09-01-10-27-16.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,099 Posts
I’ll tell you as to MPG and MPH.....keep them tires inflated to the max if your trying to achieve Maximum MMs

·
Administrator
18,362 Posts
Bill, I am a older Codger but a 'No Moss' type of guy. Never a real 'Cornering' type racer. Mostly 1/4 mile and top end racing, I have been to the low side of 200 MPH on a bike a few times.

Back in the late 1980's thru the mid 1990's my Harley Drag bike would try to carry the front wheel up for the whole 1/4 mile and at close to 170 MPH it was a handful when that tire had to get to speed. I was running a mix of 20% Nitro, 70% Methanol and 10% race gas to keep out of the Top Fuel class. High 7's low 8's all day long. Sold the whole bike, trailer and 2 spare 1200cc Harley engines back in 1995 and went back to a Suzuki Gt750 Water Buffalo 2 cycle triple.

I raced in Jackson SC 1984-1986 and Seattle International Raceway (Pacific Raceway Park) in 1991-1997 when I gave up riding till 2001 on the street again.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Hey, @Dave_J, no problems picturing you going fast, in a straight line or otherwise. Me, I'm a sweeper lover, but the need for speed takes all forms.

What I meant was that I can't get my head around a Burger's going 120, short of being dropped out of an airplane.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I've seen 121 on the dash, which adjusted for speedometer error is 110 or so. '05 standard with stock windscreen, mirrors out, no top case, and no aero mods, at about 3700' above sea level. Wouldn't be surprised if a smaller windscreen and something on the back seat to clean up the airflow behind the rider, plus pulling in the mirrors, could cut drag enough to hit 121. It'd only take a 10% reduction in drag to pull it off, give or take where that puts the engine on its power curve.

This was many years ago, and I don't think I'd set up GPS on the bike at the time. Whether my bike can stll do it a decade-plus and 40,000 miles later? Dunno.

·
Administrator
18,362 Posts
My neighbor said I could borrow his GPS unit. I do not know what brand it is but he and wife work for REI and he said it is a very accurate one they sell.

I may setup my camera and shoot the Speedo while recording the GPS data.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, we have a decrease in the diameter, courtesy of normal wear, of about 2%. And that equates to a corresponding decrease in the actual speed, versus what the speedometer (SH-equipped or not) is showing.

Now, regarding your GPS vs. SH, we have a difference of:
  • 103 / 105 = .981
wspollack - I think you're on to something. I've been chasing speed accuracy the whole time I've had the SH. I started out at -8.4%. I'm now at -8.9%. That's where I was with the 105 / 103 mph speeds. I don't know if it's tire wear, but that could be. I've been riding it a good bit lately.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ll tell you as to MPG and MPH.....keep them tires inflated to the max if your trying to achieve Maximum MMs
Daris, I juiced up my tires (with air) to 33 / 41 psi before I left my Paw's house. Actually I juice them to 35 / 43, in case my pressureometer has error. Could be error on either side I know, but I'm safer with more than less. Here lately, every time I refuel, and adjust mileage to near 100% accuracy, I'm right at 47.5 mpg. Dern fuel hawg...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All - I got to wondering this morning as I was getting ready for work. Might Suzuki have slapped some sort of speed limiter on the later model bikes? Heck, all they'd have to do is throw ignition timing off a skosh (with electronal programming) at over 100 mph. Or put just a skosh lighter valve springs on it to make it start floating valves just a bit near redline. All sorts of sneaky things could be done. Maybe they don't want their Burgman's walking all over and embarrassing their Gixxer liter bikes! 😁

I was thinking that because, once I decided that this was my chance, and stretched the throttle cable to 1 lbf short of yielding, it sure didn't take long to get to 100+ mph. But then it sort of felt like, "yeah well, here we go, this is all I'm doing … psssst how long are we going to hanging out at this speed, I've got enough gas for a good long time..." kind of feeling.

I'll also mention, I had my laptop computer under the seat and my luggage bag in the trunk box. And the trunk box is one of the biguns. Once I make my official top speed run, I'll have to yank that sucker off.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
wspollack - I think you're on to something. I've been chasing speed accuracy the whole time I've had the SH. I started out at -8.4%. I'm now at -8.9%. That's where I was with the 105 / 103 mph speeds. I don't know if it's tire wear, but that could be. I've been riding it a good bit lately.
FWIW, I installed SpeedoHealers on both my '07 Exec (back in 2007), and on my '08 Exec (in 2016). On both of those, I wound up using -9.2% as a setting, after doing my on-road testing and then the math. But, as I said, I run a particular rear tire, and never really wear it out, so YMMV.

I had a $25 Sigma bicycle computer on my Valkyrie for five or six years, and I used to adjust the setting on that periodically, to compensate for tire wear. It was easier to do, and I was doing a lot of superslab riding in those days, and I'm a little OCD. The stock Valk speedo was hard to read, and was way off, like most bikes, so I had added the Sigma.

·
Administrator
18,362 Posts
OK, Friday I did a short mountain ride. I got over on the east side of the state where its flat and no traffic.

Flat ground at 2500 feet above sea level, no traffic. I had my Burgman 650 at 112-118 for 2.75 miles sitting upright without tucking or pulling the mirrors in. Only slowed down when I was coming up on some traffic ahead. And my speedo is only 2% off so was doing 109.75 to 115.65 true . Feels as steady at 70 as it does at 118 .

I did not go maxed out, just cranked it and tried to maintain 115. Still no GPS unit.

I am a professional Crash Bike Dummy, do not try this in the living room at home.

·
Premium Member
8,136 Posts
7miles, 47 is low! course there are a lot of variables, but 52 53 is my norm, and that is just whats indicated on the dash!

DaveJ at 2500 ft above sea level, doncha hafta hold on to the earth to keep from floatin off?? That's actually ten times higher than the highest spot in Florida plus standin on the kitchen stool. and 100 times higher than my back yard!

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
7miles, 47 is low! course there are a lot of variables, but 52 53 is my norm, and that is just whats indicated on the dash!
Agreed. I think it may have to do with my FD. I did another FD oil change this weekend after ~1,000 miles, and it was metal filled again. Something is going wrong in there and I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and tear it open and see if I can repair it … or wind up on my ear or worse.

This kind of issue with my FD is exactly my kryptonite. The thought of tearing into it freezes me in my tracks. But once I make up my mind to do it I frequently find that it was much easier than I had suspected.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
At least the final drive is not very complicated. Just a series of gears in a row without springs or timing considerations or other alignments other than that the teeth mesh.

·
Premium Member
3,099 Posts
Agreed. I think it may have to do with my FD. I did another FD oil change this weekend after ~1,000 miles, and it was metal filled again. Something is going wrong in there and I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and tear it open and see if I can repair it … or wind up on my ear or worse.

This kind of issue with my FD is exactly my kryptonite. The thought of tearing into it freezes me in my tracks. But once I make up my mind to do it I frequently find that it was much easier than I had suspected.
How many flush and fills have you done now ? Was the drain bolt just as covered with deposits ?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have drained and filled 4 times. And yes the drain bolt magnet was about equally covered as that last picture. I took new pictures, but haven't bothered posting them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts