Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke my 1000 mile mark today. What a relief after the break-in doldrums. I was on the freeway when it rolled over the mark, and so I opened it up all the way for the first time. It makes alot of power at around 7000 rpms. I was at 85 almost instantly, and so I felt I should slow down before my bike overran my newbie riding abilities. Good to know she has more power than I can use, at least for now. Maybe once I'm more experienced I'll feel like pushing it, but I wouldn't do more than that in a car, so I can't think of why I'd ever need to do more than that on my bike. So, for all those who are trying to make a buying decision, here's my review of the 400 after 1000 miles...
this is my first bike, so in my mind I compare it to my experiences in different types of cars, since that's what I know....
It accelerates as quickly as many sportscars off the line (0-60 in about 8-9 seconds easy) and well beyond what the average passenger car can match. It does lag just a bit at the very start as the clutch engages, but makes up for it once you're past 4000 rpm. Start with a half throttle, then open up.
I haven't found a top speed yet on level ground (85 is plenty for me, as listed above) but even at 75 or more it still has acceleration available for passing. Most 4 cylinder cars can't pace it at all.
Now that my skills are improving a little, I find it's very stable in wind, even moving around semis. It only wavers if I tense up. That's operator malfunction.
It is very nimble, and corners as well as the other bikes I see in traffic. I've never ridden any others, so I can't compare for sure, but it certainly handles all the demands of traffic and city driving with no problem or feeling of instability. I confess I feel like it will do more than I am willing to when it comes to leaning. Lack of experience keeps me from really laying it over. But it does whatever I've been brave enough to try.
Nice rain protection. My pants stay dry, even if it's coming down fairly hard.
the seat is still a bit hard for me, but I have a boney butt. I'm shopping around for foam, since I've settled on making a custom slip-on padded cover for long rides instead of modifying the stock seat. This will allow me to make more than one type for different situations, and also I can vary colors and patterns. I'll post pictures when I'm done. My wife finds the pinion area very comfortable without modification.
I'm still getting at least 60-65 mpg (maybe 70, but I believe in being conservative when it comes to mpg estimates).
Storage is adequate for most anything I do on regular errands. I keep a bike cover, cleaning supplies for debugging, extra gloves, scarves, under layer for my armored jacket, rain pants, and still have space for a 4 pack of toilet paper. Alternately, I put the cover in the front seat of my truck when I leave (it is at least a locking storage box, so it's still good for stuff...hehehe) and then I have room for my wife's helmet and jacket instead.
It's really stylin', and since I'm the only one in the Tri-Cities, I get a lot of lookers. Let's face it, it makes strangers think I'm cool (and of course having strangers think you're cool is what's most important.. :wink: )
What I can reliably say about it that puts it way above other motorcycles, is it is superb at slow, stop and go speeds. I never put my feet down, no matter how slow I'm moving, and there's none of that "side to side" wobble that most bikes seem to have when going slow.

In short, it's an incredibly well-designed commuter bike, and if what you're looking for is a quantum leap forward from the auto experience, this is the bike for you. If you are a REAL power junky, then I suppose you need a 650, but for the forseeable future, I am as content as I could be.
:p :p :p

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Nice write-up, Hrd. Today was a perfect day and although my ride was just to work and back, I too felt one with the bike. You're right about how easy it is to keep balanced. The only time my foot goes down is when I have to wait at a long stoplight. Stopping still for a stopsign I usually don't feel the need for a foot down.

The ride home I caught up with a college kid on a conventional motorcycle. A small twin that looked like about 500cc. I think he was surprised to see me pass so he sped up to stay with me. At the next stoplight we both pulled up side-by-side in the lead. Glancing at him he nodded, then reved his throttle a little as if to challenge me. I nodded back, deftly pressed the power button, then eyed the light. This intersection lets onto the bypass 4-lane and speeds to 45 then 60 then 70. My intention was not to beat him, but to simply match whatever acceleration he showed. He was high-reving his bike. The light turned green and I actually felt I had to wait for him to get going. I rolled on the throttle and surprisingly beat him across the intersection. He was trying, and caught up momentariliy. I figured what-the-hell, nodded at him again, then just stayed on it. I was at 45 in what seemed like 3 seconds. I was at 60 shortly after. I hit 70 and lost track of him. I think he gave up and u-turned in embarrassment. Now I knew looking at his bike I had more power. But the difference was surprising. I don't call it a win since I wasn't racing anything 600cc or up. But the 650 stuns me. It thrills me. It suits me.

Dave B.

·
Registered
848 Posts
hrdillender said:
I was at 85 almost instantly,
HR; when I read that line I thought for sure you were talking about a 650. It sounds like the 400 surprised you a little! I can't wait to try one.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
hrdillender said:
In short, it's an incredibly well-designed commuter bike, and if what you're looking for is a quantum leap forward from the auto experience, this is the bike for you. If you are a REAL power junky, then I suppose you need a 650, but for the forseeable future, I am as content as I could be.
:p :p :p
Content with the Burgman 400? There is a lot to be said about that and all good. For the first time in years today, I was doing my annual run to the post office about 3 miles from here and with a huge smile in my heart. The round trip somehow turned out to be 72 miles. I think we have a lots of enjoyment ahead. Neal

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fabulous. the engineering that went into these bikes makes much out of the engine size. He was probably truly shocked to be dusted so handily. I'd have loved to see it. People are surprised to see me passing them on the freeway. I keep pace very nicely with Harleys and Goldwings and most anything else, even on my 400. I'm sure a 650 can just overpower most traffic altogether. Big bikes lose me sometimes, but not because of the 400. They are just better riders than I am at this point, and can take long sweeping curves and dodge through traffic faster than I am comfortable with yet. I confess I'll avoid riding a 650 for a good long time. Not that I wouldn't love to, and I think at this point I could handle it fairly well, but I just got my 400 and I have to pay it off before I get wanderlust for something bigger. I'll lose my shirt if I traded it this early. Besides, even when I step up eventually, I'll likely still keep it. At some point my wife will begin to ride, and it'll be perfect for her as well. On the one hand, I want everyone to know how cool they are, and how much they are the ideal answer to loving two wheels but needing four, but on the other hand I love having such an exclusive, unusual machine. It's only a matter of time before the word gets around I suppose. You can't keep something this good a secret forever.

·
Registered
65 Posts
hr,

remember the state and local budget crises that exist here in WA as you tool down the road. My next door neighbor just got a ticket for 52 in a 35. He was less than one mile from our houses. He is 63 years old and was driving a 10 year old Golf. The fine is $800. That's right, 800 big ones. Can't imagine what his insurance rates will do.

Don't want to spoil anybody's fun, but local govments have to get money from somewhere and here in Kitsap it seems to be partially from people ignoring the speed limit.

h

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point. Leave it to the Washington State Legislature to be a buzz kill. I have to confess, I ran for State Representative in my district during the last election season. Didn't win, and I am eternally grateful that I didn't. The incumbent legislaters had low balled the budget shortfall by about 1.3 billion dollars in their campaign platforms, in hopes of keeping their seats. Once the election was over, the shortfall all of a sudden went from $700,000 to almost $2bn. I was SOOOOOOO glad I wasn't the one who had to figure out a way to fix it. Let them live in the mess they created. Of course, as Habu55 pointed out, we all get to suffer for it as well. Still and all, I can say I tried to make a difference. Fortunately, I lost and can now spend all my free time with my wife, my dog, and my Burgman.
:rr:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By the way, Rubble,

I have been very surprised by my Burgy. Especially during the break-in, I wasn't sure what I had bought or if it would suit my needs. 4000 rpm doesn't do much for ya. Now that it's broken in, it truly makes my heart sing to be on it, and I was amazed at the power it has. I'm getting better as a rider all the time (I practice alot :thumbright: ), and it is right there with me, still waiting to for me to catch up to it's potential. I love it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've also been very pleased with my 400. I picked it up in January. It's my first bike since selling my '89 GSX-R 750 in 2000. I guess coming down from a bigger displacement and sportier m/c, I'm not as thrilled with the power. I used to drag race (NHRA) my 750, but in the end, the temptation in the wrist almost killed me.

So having said that, I'm very happy with the power the 400 churns out. Not enough to waken the devil in my right wrist, but enough to outaccelerate traffic, and motor along nicely on the highway.

The creature comforts of the Burgman are in a league of their own, though. Slap a pair of rainpants on and my ballistic nylon jacket, slide into my electric vest and wrap my hands around my heated grips, and I'm comfortable in the rain down to about 4 degrees Celsius or so. My wife and I were driving home in the rain yesterday, and a rider came the other way on a Yamaha R6. She made some comment about not wanting to be riding on a day like today, and I honestly thought about it and figured it wouldn't be too bad. :)

The suspension I'm finding to be a little harsh. Other than that, what's to complain about? Huge trunk. 60 miles per US gallon. Super comfortable seat and seating position. Not to mention talking to lots of nice people who want to know what the heck it is.

Simon

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Break in

I'm riding the 650. I was amazed at how different the bike was at 1000 miles. Just as surprising, the bike was entirely different at 2500. Now at 4000 miles, the bike has changed again for the better. I would guess that there's a lot to break in in the tranny and she just gets smoother and more powerful as time goes along.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm glad to hear that, Monterey. A few others have made comments in other threads regarding the Burgmans picking up steam as they get a few more miles on them. I'm looking forward to mine gaining a little seasoning.
Simon, I suppose stepping down from a 750 drag machine is probably a disappointment in the power category. I have to ask, if you are accustomed to more power, why'd you get a 400 instead of a 650? I'd think that would be more up your alley. I suppose if you have a tendency to want to make a bike really perform, it might be a good idea to limit how much power is available if you think you might end up over doing it, but maybe that's not it at all. I love the 400, and as a new rider, it's all I could hope for, but I venture it seems very tame to you. Why'd you make that choice?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Simon, I suppose stepping down from a 750 drag machine is probably a disappointment in the power category. I have to ask, if you are accustomed to more power, why'd you get a 400 instead of a 650? I'd think that would be more up your alley. I suppose if you have a tendency to want to make a bike really perform, it might be a good idea to limit how much power is available if you think you might end up over doing it, but maybe that's not it at all. I love the 400, and as a new rider, it's all I could hope for, but I venture it seems very tame to you. Why'd you make that choice?
It's a decision that probably makes more sense if you knew me better. So much has changed for me in the last five years that a sportbike doesn't hold the same appeal as it once did. At the time, I was buying a recreational vehicle which doubled as a means to get to work on nice days. Now I am looking for a way to get to work. I stopped and counted, and I've only ridden my bike three times since I bought it if you remove all of the commuting.

I've got a house, a wife and a one year old daughter. I don't have a lot of days where I can just bugger off for the morning to go riding. I don't live in a city with a 1/4 mile dragstrip anymore. But the Burgman has turned my mind-numbing bus ride to work into something I look forward to every day. I live at the end of what is considered around here to be "the destination" biking road. My office is at the other end. That means I do five times per week what a lot of squids around here book a Sunday to do. Am I lucky or what? :wink: The Burgman might not be a crotch rocket, but it leaves a big stupid grin on my face.

Of course the tradeoff is having to do it on days where the weather is changing or somewhat unpleasant. Enter the Burgman, with its wonderful fairing and windscreen, and a big dry trunk to put my laptop, lunch and change of clothing in.

The Burgman fits what I want it to do, 100%. The 650 would be nice. More of the same, plus more power and a bit more sophistication. Two problems with that, though: I couldn't justify the cost (up front, insurance and gas) for the increment, and my local dealer didn't have one in stock (and still doesn't).

I'm super happy with the bike, and perhaps in time I'll upgrade, but at the moment I can't think of a good reason.

Simon

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: Break in

Monterey10 said:
I was amazed at how different the bike was at 1000 miles. Just as surprising, the bike was entirely different at 2500. Now at 4000 miles, the bike has changed again for the better.
Man, I could swear that you are talking about my new electric rador. :)

With all these talk about how good Burg 400 is, i am thinking about selling my Vulcan 750 and get a Burgman 400 for in-town rides (to save even more gas), and leave the 650 for trips to Alaska.

·
Registered
240 Posts
hrdillender said:
I ran for State Representative in my district during the last election season. Didn't win, and I am eternally grateful that I didn't. [snip] Fortunately, I lost and can now spend all my free time with my wife, my dog, and my Burgman. :rr:
With your luck (and that of King Count-y), some absentee ballots may surface...and you may actually have won. :rr: Btw, the tag in WA was changed to $30+$3 a few years back, but how much is the tag for motorcycles?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Honestly I'm not sure on the tag price. I got my bike at the dealer, and they just tacked it on and I didn't think to look :oops: . I doubt any extra ballots will show here, as I am a liberal living in the most conservative district in the state. 70% republican registered, and I pulled 31% of the vote. It was an experience I'm glad I had, though. I really get politics like I never thought I would. Truthfully, I also got a bunch of cool stuff :lol: . Everything I bought for my campaign is still sitting here (4 color process printer, button making machine, stuff like that). I doubt very seriously that they'll come up with enough absentee/missing ballots to make up a 21% deficit (thank God).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts