Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, being a traditional scooterist, going 50mph is a triumph, 60, a miracle. Souping up, ducking down below the legshield, 104 octane gas, Malossi, even loosing weight, you name it, I've tried it, just to get there.

But, now I'm on the Type S Burgmann...

I have 780 miles on it, just had my first service, so I opened it up a bit. Well a lot, actually. I first did a pass down this really long flat stretch and hit about 95mph, full throttle and stayed there a while.

Thats way, off the hook, but then using the tricks if the scootering trade, I hit the next stretch that had a bit of a downhill, hard, ducked down below the windshield, and held on tight. I looked down at the speedo, it was at a 100 rather quickly, and it was maitaining it once the road got flat. I was lucky to get no traffic, on such a long stretch, as the streets out here on NY's Long Island can can pretty busy.

So if ya wanno know how fast it will go, thats how fast...

Uh, oh yeah, ride safely and always wear a helmet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,166 Posts
So 90 MPH then. Not bad! :) I had mine up to 98 (indiscated) on my way back from Florida when I first got her. Haven't tried to get her up that fast again and since adding a Givi windscreen she prolly won't do it again anyhow. :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,296 Posts
Marbles Mahoney said:
[snipped]Thats way, off the hook, but then using the tricks if the scootering trade, I hit the next stretch that had a bit of a downhill, hard, ducked down below the windshield, and held on tight. I looked down at the speedo, it was at a 100 rather quickly, and it was maitaining it once the road got flat. I was lucky to get no traffic, on such a long stretch, as the streets out here on NY's Long Island can can pretty busy.

So if ya wanno know how fast it will go, thats how fast...

Uh, oh yeah, ride safely and always wear a helmet.
So thats a true 90 then! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,385 Posts
So if you want to go that fast , why did you buy a scooter ?
Many bikes that will do 100 + if common since or the law does not stop you.
Is there a reason to subject a scooter to that speed ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,296 Posts
Hey Randy - well I suppose I have to admit that I am a transgressor here too.

It is a very weak argument to stand up in court and say 'I was just curious as to how fast it would go' ......but you know - curiosity and all that - good job I never bought a 170mph superbike - I may (conditions permitting) have been tempted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
NormanB said:
Hey Randy - well I suppose I have to admit that I am a transgressor here too.

It is a very weak argument to stand up in court and say 'I was just curious as to how fast it would go' ......but you know - curiosity and all that -
Norman, you didn't finish the proverb. Curiosity killed the cat!

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,296 Posts
Ken OBSC said:
NormanB said:
Hey Randy - well I suppose I have to admit that I am a transgressor here too.

It is a very weak argument to stand up in court and say 'I was just curious as to how fast it would go' ......but you know - curiosity and all that -
Norman, you didn't finish the proverb. Curiosity killed the cat!

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p
No but I left an opening for a rhyming couplet! :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First off, I dont want to go 100mph everytime I go scootin, I'm actually quite the slowpoke, and happy about it. But I am a scooterist. We are more in tune with the abilities of our machines, IMHO. Therfore I figure an increased curiosity exists as well. The most common question, a scooterist is asked...

"How fast does that go?"

I like to know. I cant even see how anyone can even suggest buying a motorcycle, after hearing of my 100mph run (thats what the speedo said, and their was some more). The burgman is not an easy motorcycle, nor an automatic motorcycle, its not a motorcycle at all. Its a scooter. It handles like one, it has an automatic transmission like one - but it has a big **** engine and its a big, but a scooter never the less. Itsa much different feeling, procedure and technique in riding one compared to a motorcycle.

I sold my mint 700cc 85 Honda Nighthawk for a 50cc Italian Scooter and never looked back, BTW...

Having expierence with both types of machines, I can say this and feel very secure in my observations. Being on a scooter you observe a lot more too. thats part of it too, the slower pace, the non hiways routes turn every ride into an adventure, regardless of cc's. Not having to shift lets me spend more time focusing on riding safely, being aware, being observant and more. This beast of a scooter is quickly becomeing my favorite because it is so much a scooter, while having the performance of a motorcycle at my disposal.

Scoot On... Marbles Mahoney
http://www.thehornets.cc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,686 Posts
I'll give you a good reason to need to go 90....

I rode my Pontiac Vibe about 300 miles yesterday on mainly two-lane 65mph roads. It's not a busy road, but there are occasional locals driving slower then the limit. This road has limited passing zones due to the curves and hills. It's actually probably a great cycle route. But because of the short passing zones the only way I could pass anyone was to race up to about 85mph before cutting back in to miss the oncoming traffic.

I used to have a Honda 250 Elite that could travel 65mph but no faster. As such it was dangerous but not illegal to take down the highway. It could NOT pass anything but a slow moving safety triangled tractor or farm implement.

You need speed to pass safely. The quicker you can get around slow movers on a two-lane highway the safer you are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,166 Posts
If you have to speed up (more than 5MPH over the limit) to pass you are already going fast enough. Not that i've never sped! ;) Enjoy your ride! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
90 mph

Selias said:
So 90 MPH then. Not bad! :) I had mine up to 98 (indiscated) on my way back from Florida when I first got her. Haven't tried to get her up that fast again and since adding a Givi windscreen she prolly won't do it again anyhow. :D
Personally guys I don't believe the 400 is off by 10 %. I know the 650 is but near as I can tell the 400 is between 4 an 6%, but anyway that's prwetty dam fast. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
agree

Randy said:
So if you want to go that fast , why did you buy a scooter ?
Many bikes that will do 100 + if common since or the law does not stop you.
Is there a reason to subject a scooter to that speed ?
I have to agree Randy. I wouldn't drive my car or my truck that fast, so why would I drive my scoot that fast? :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
One thing that always seems to be left out of these discussions is speed differential, i.e., the difference in speeds between vehicles on a highway.

There is lots of data that indicates that a high differential is a contributing factor to accidents. That's why US Interstates have posted minimum speed limits as well as maximums.

Something to think about....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,296 Posts
Not forgetting that most street furniture, trees and the pavement itself is normally well below that minimum! :lol:

Trees are one of the biggest killers on the road - most of them are unlicensed too. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,385 Posts
There are thousands of tractor trailers on the road that have almost no passing speed once there up around 70, many even have governors that limit there speed, but I bet we have all been passed by them at one time or another. My 400 can still do a decent job of passing after 70 (better then a tractor/rig) anyway :)

Besides if I was in a hurry I would have left earlier, but then 90 % of my riding is for enjoyment anyway :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
City streets, country roads or Interstate highways are not the place for that type of speed on a motorcycle or scooter. If one is curious as to how fast their bike goes, take it to a track. Nearly every medium size city has a race track and that is the place for speed. The condition of the pavement is usually very good and the traffic conditions are totally controlled. Your chances of getting hurt are limited if you are a good driver and are in control of your vehicle. Your chance of hurting others is almost ZERO. Sometimes it is tempting "To Open It Up" when you think you are all alone on a road, but you never know what is lurking just ahead of you.

The track is lots of fun and you get to meet all kinds of interesting people. Most tracks also offer driving/racing schools. They are really great. Just go in the cooler months because it can get very hot outside all day.

I've done the car racing school with Skip Barber. I had the VIPER up to 140 MPH on the track. Talk about permagrin. We owned a Viper at the time so it was fun to see what it could do. I also had our Porsche up to 125 MPH, again on the track. We even got to race in Formula One cars, they are small, tight and HOT.

My point is, when you feel the NEED FOR SPEED, take it to the track and be safe and alive.

Janine :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
NormanB said:
Trees are one of the biggest killers on the road - most of them are unlicensed too. :wink:
Quaint. In the US, we try to avoid planting trees on the road....


:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ken

:eek:gre:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Re: 90 mph

Personally guys I don't believe the 400 is off by 10 %. I know the 650 is but near as I can tell the 400 is between 4 an 6%, but anyway that's prwetty dam fast.
:D[/quote]

Check with a GPS to make sure. When my 400 indicates 80, Im doing an actual 74. At an indicated 70 I'm doing 66 - and I haven't checked out actual speed at indicated 90 or 100.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top