Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worth sharing

Riding a motorcycle is dangerous. Luckily, bikes also give you the best possible tools to avoid crashing — incredibly powerful brakes, obstruction-free vision, excellent handling and very gripy tires. Here’s how to use those tools, and your very own brain, to avoid one of these common motorcycle accidents.

More....

https://rideapart.com/articles/10-common-motorcycle-accidents-and-how-to-avoid-them

Reactions: wm23oh

·
Registered
765 Posts
GREAT little refresher course! Read, as in just read it, and will re-read again.
Pass on to your riding buddies!

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
189 Posts
Keep your head on a swivel and try to make eye contact with all drivers you see around you .

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The last one - never drink and ride! Now if only cagers would do likewise. The closest incident I have had to dying was caused by a drunk.

I work at a church so I have a very large parking lot where I go to practice emergency braking and other maneuvers. It helped me a lot in building my skills. I used them just the other day when an old man pulled out in front of me. Got it slowed down and prevented hitting him. Not sure he ever realized I was there, even after I gave him my horn.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Good article. Lots of local folks seem to want to get on their motorcycle and take out their frustrations on traffic - which will get you two things; a ticket or an injury. I was riding home last night and got to see someone on a Harley go significantly faster than the surrounding traffic for no good reason other than that he could. Foolishness, and it give the rest of us a bad reputation.

Beyond that, let me make another plug for doing track-based rider training. There is no better environment for practicing skills that on the track, away from the cell phones, gravel, and police. Lots of places offer closed-course rider training that can be done on your scooter/cruiser/touring motorcycle, and don't require full leathers or extensive mechanical modifications.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
In the car waiting to make a left turn situation, as I approach the intersection, I like to give one or two burst of highbeam, just to make sure they see me. But this is apparently not a good method in Europe as flashing means proceed in front of me (why they even have that, I don't know).

I also wave my left arm about to get people's attention, like when stopped at a light and a car approaches from behind. I flash the brake lights with my right hand and wave my left about, kind of in a "Stop" motion.

Pointing at cars can be effective too. Something about pointing at a person gets their attention real quick, ingrained in us from an early age in school I suppose. But if I see a problem car that could pop out, I'll point at it with my left hand and then put up a "Stop" hand signal. Its not 100% effective, but it does work more often than not.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Pointing at cars can be effective too. Something about pointing at a person gets their attention real quick, ingrained in us from an early age in school I suppose. But if I see a problem car that could pop out, I'll point at it with my left hand and then put up a "Stop" hand signal. Its not 100% effective, but it does work more often than not.
Interesting! I never thought of that, I will have to try it.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Saw a horrible motorcycle/car accident two days ago. The car turned left right in front of the biker. Multiple witnesses for the police report. The biker was killed by a cut on his left arm that severed an artery and he bled out waiting for the ambulance....police on the scene tried to put pressure to control the bleeding but it just wasn't enough.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Thanks for the reminders - this is stuff I've been doing for 50 years now that have kept me safe - not one accident. I guess I'm the counter to those who say if you ride a bike its not a matter of whether you'll have an accident - its just a matter of when. That to me is pure tripe. If you've had more than an accident or two maybe you should take a serious look at what you are doing wrong. I don't believe in fate and I don't believe you have to have an accident simply because you ride a bike. I'm proof of that.

When I was young I was lucky - as I've aged I've become more aware of my surroundings whenever I'm on my scooter. When you're old bruises scrapes and broken bones heal much slower. I've lost two good friends to bike wrecks - both involved alcohol - one involved alcohol and pot. Not a good combination. That one not only took his life he managed to take out a pedestrian too. I miss them both. Life moves on.

I didn't know all those things 50 years ago but I've accumulated more 'stuff' while adding to what I had learned from near misses and talking to other riders. It sounds easy to read hints and watch a few videos but there is nothing like going out and putting that knowledge to use and have it ingrained into your daily riding. All of it - and biggest of all - watch every car/driver for signs of doing the unexpected because you know they will - you just don't know which one will do the unexpected so they are all 'suspects' in my book.

Reading those safety tips I'm reminded of what I've related to others when they ask me whats the first thing they should do - my response has always been the same - go take a rider safety course. It makes insurance cheaper - a nice little premium for the effort - but most importantly what you learn may save your life.

In 50 years of riding all kinds of bikes - from my first which was a Yamaha 2 stroke rotary valve 80cc to a couple of full dress Harleys - with many in between - a 500cc Matchless - a couple of 650 Triumphs and 1 BSA - and many others I can't remember off hand - lots of miles - as a 'WAG' probably upwards of half a million or more miles and not one serious accident with so much as a band-aid needed.

There certainly were a lot of close calls - from friends suddenly braking for no apparent reason (I don't tailgate - EVER!) to a gal juggling her cell phone and a kid in the back seat that tried to rear end me (I pulled into the 2-way left turn lane) but missed! Scared the crap out of her - she knew full well what she just missed - ME - and came within a couple of feet of hitting the car in front of her. I've missed more dogs than I can remember - and a couple of deer that seemed determined to t-bone me. Living in Washington State all my life and nearly all those miles inside the state I'm surprised I haven't seen more deer. I like back roads and have rode many a mile on them.

I don't wear ATGATT or bright jackets or shirts but I do one thing and I do it well (so far) - I watch people and I watch the cars they are piloting - all with a suspicion! That they don't see me. So far so good! If I ever catch myself not keeping a very wary eye on cars/drivers I'll hang up my helmet and call an end to my riding.

I hope those of you that have never had an accident will never have one - and to those that have had one or more - take serious stock in what you are doing wrong and correct it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts