Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently my odometer flipped over 10,000 miles on my 2012 AN400. I bought it new in October 2013. So, I thought I'd give some observations.

As a background, this is my first motorbike of any kind. I started riding at 58. It is our (my wife and I) only vehicle.

Anyway, I'm just amazed at how much fun this machine is. It makes getting around this city SO much easier and enjoyable. I take my wife to school at UCLA, so we Mullholand Hwy almost everyday. When she's on the back, it feels like a different bike, but still doesn't feel like it wanting for power. It just rides smoother.

The 400 is perfect for my level of mechanical expertise, which I would rate as low to medium. Thanks to you fine folks and to MicBergsma, I have replaced the oil/oil filter, air filter, spark plug, final gear oil, windscreen (Givi AF266), removed and installed the rear wheel (haven't changed a tire yet) and done CVT maintenance. It so nice, but also strange to be able work in my garage and have instructional videos, a full service manual and all of the knowledge of the internet all available on my iPad mini.

The first time I did the CVT, I used an electric impact wrench from Harbor Freight. It was okay, but it deformed the variator nut a bit. I didn't want to try it again without have a clutch/variator tool and I didn't want to try to make my own. Eventually, I got this one.

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/BIKEMASTER-UNIVERSAL-SLOT-STYLE-CLUTCH-HOLDER

$33 and it worked for both the clutch and variator. Cool.

I also installed 18g Dr. Pulley sliders. Wow! What a difference! The combination of the sliders, the replacement parts and 10,000 miles of break-in have make this scoot run better than ever before. I just took a short spin on one of our LA freeways and was delighted at how much the DP sliders lowered my RPMs. I was never able to achieve the 60+ mpg that other Burgie owners had reported. Now, I realize that they probably had DPs installed.

What a great bike!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
BRC, so pleased you love your bike. Mine is also a 2012 and I love it too. There's not much wrong with these Burgman 400's. So much fun. I'm interested to hear you also love the DP sliders. What revs does she do at 70mph indicated?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Great report. I'm also interested in the Dr Pulley parts. I feel that's the only diss appointment on my bike is the juttery, groaning clutch. My last clean/scuff job only lasted 200 miles before it started up again : (

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
10000 miles on original OEM MC Tire. Did not think one would last that long, most get about 6000 miles. I am darksided to a Car Tire since 6200 miles -- all kinds of posts on here about car tires (mine included - details of the process of mounting it and reports with pictures on usage at a couple different mileage intervals).

15,000 showing now on a 2011 I bought in Dec 2013 with 5100 miles on it. In many ways I like it better than the Burgman 650 I had (it broke down in Dec 2013 at 73,800 miles). The 650 is beter at high speed (70 up) and for pasing at speed (more power and quicker). Other than that the 400 is the bike.

I also feel I can work on this 400 -- I have taken CVT Case Cover off just to check things (twice - once at 6000 miles after I bought it and once at about 12000). So far, nothing needed. Due to check it again soon.

Shutter with the Clutch? - Yes, I just live with it. No problem for normal take offs if you give it gas to start with (get RPM up and then let off).

Pain in butt if you are idling around in parking lot or going slow.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Hey BRC,

Great review. Glad you love the bike so much.

See you on Sunday.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Quantum, I just checked on the RPMs (with my wife on board!). At 70 indicated, the bike was only turning over about 5800 RPM. It's not quite as fast off the line, but only by a bit. Meanwhile, the DPs have really smoothed out the power curve. It seems to pull strong up to about 6000 RPM, then feels like it levels out, but I'm still accelerating. Can't wait to see what my gas milage is.

Paul, I didn't mean that I got 10,000 miles on my original tire, I meant that I haven't tried to change one yet. When the tire got worn, I bought a Pirelli Diablo from TwistedThrottle. I took the wheel off and took it to the dealer. They installed the Diablo, but I discovered later that it was defective. TT sent me a replacement, and I had the dealer swap them out. This was a couple of months ago. Then, of course, I picked up a nail last week. Go figure!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Wow! What a difference!
As the man from Oz Crocodile Dundee said, this isn't a knife -- this is the knife :D Whenever you get the opportunity, try the DP HiT and tell what you think about the difference then. And leave 18g inside the cvt also at the same time.

When the bike was easily picking up to 90 indicated i thought it was close to the limit, and wasn't aware yet that with this mod it could accelerate in the same time up to 100+.

Quantum -- you can't go far wrong with 18g, mate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts