Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone read in print (or has a url that points to...) what the actual acceleration performance specs are for the 650? Trap speed, time to distance, things like that? Top speed's been beat to death around this place already...

Or has anyone actually used one of those "G-meters" (or whatever they are called) that I've seen on speedvision commercials to measure those parameters?

I haven't seen such spec in print, but maybe I haven't seen the best road test report either. Yes I know about temp, altitude, rider weight, etc.

I know that this isn't really what a burgster is all "about" - but it would be nice to have some stats to regurgitate when stuck in bull sessions. :wink:

tia - pete

·
Registered
329 Posts
There is an extensive review done several months ago in Motorcycle Consumer News (MCN) that contains a wealth of both opinions and hard data on performance of the 650 Burgman. This includes everything from detailed specifications to dynometer readings, acceleration rates, speedomoter error, fuel consumption and various weights/volumes/sizes/ and estimated maintenance costs. They also rate the engine, brakes/handling/comfort/value of the Burgman, clearly differentiating data and opinion.
One of the two testers is a former road racer and the other, a veteran rider with a touring orientation who recently returned to freelance journalism and consulting. Since I nearly always agree with the editorial opinions and of the publication as well as the evaluations of the testers, I have always respected the views of both.
One of the things that keeps me subscribing to MCN is that they do not accept advertising and are quite objective in their evaluations, insofar as anyone can be. Their view, though rational, are not quite as sugar-coated as some other publication that rely on advertising revenues, especially the bike manufacturers. You can find them on the web with your search engine.

·
Registered
969 Posts
So now the question is: Do those (slow) 1/4 mile and 0~60 times reflect performance with or without using the power button?

Steve

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
wasions said:
So now the question is: Do those (slow) 1/4 mile and 0~60 times reflect performance with or without using the power button?
Here's an excerpt from the May 2004 Motorcycle Consumer News article:

During our performance testing, when ridden in normal automatic drive, the Burgman accelerated from 0 to 60 in just under 10 seconds. When we switched to the power mode, that time dropped to about 8 seconds, and when we ran it through the gears manually, upshifting just before redline, we were able to cut that to an even 7.0 seconds. For comparison's sake, the Honda Aero 750 cruiser we tested this past January required 7.31 seconds to reach 60mph. Imagine that--with 100ccs more engine, and weighing a full 55 pounds less, the 750-cruiser couldn't keep pace with the Burgman scooter.
I can confirm from my own experience that manually shifting allows quicker runs, provided one practices a little. Although a well trained rider on a conventional bike could make crisper shifts, the clutchless shifting on the Burgman makes it easier for almost any rider to turn in some pretty quick times. Traffic light drag racing is the one arena where the "Manual" mode really comes into its own. For all other riding, I've just used "Normal" and "Power" modes after the first few weeks of ownership.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: Performance Index

PhilW said:
Here is the performance index from MCN referenced by docta
The index you linked to is from the January 2005 MCN.

I think docta was referring to the full article on the Burgman 650 in the May 2004 issue, where former racer Walt Fulton and self-described touring enthusiast Fred Rau put the big Burgman through its paces.

The four-page article included lots of photographs, a two-page article on features and characteristics by Fred Rau, the 1/3-page "Tester's Log" by Mssrs. Fulton and Rau, and a full page of track and dynamometer data in chart and graph formats.

That same issue had an article on the DL650 V-Strom.

To check for availablilty of reprints or back issues, visit http://WWW.MCNEWS.COM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts