Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Selling my wifes 09 Burgman 400 she has decided she prefers to ride with me. bike is about as clean as you will find. NO disappointments ! it has 10 k miles. well worth a trip to maine and ride back home to anywhere in the country. price is now firm. As low as I can go. call or text is best. NADA book says it's value is $5050 up here so $3950 should be a good buy most anywhere. central Maine, (207) 578-1316

Attachments

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Bring it down to N.C. and I'll take it! Looks very nice; someone should jump on this one.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Don't suppose you're willing to sell the top box separately...?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going down to NC this summer for national track meet that my son is in but won't be able to bring down the bike. I have had this bike for sale since last Dec. I keep reducing the price started at NADA book value and keep reducing the price by $100. People up here in Maine look down their noses at scooters and rider. (most) do. I have on CL in Maine and have been offered $800 for it. I guess it needs to say John Deer or HD on it. As far as the top box ,I bought it on ebay for about $38.00 It was blue so I just sprayed it with plastic coat paint ,(dover white). Anyway, I'm about as low as I can go on the price so I'll just ride alt with my 07 that is also on CL for $3500 that's also really nice. I haven't listed it here because no bites at all on it . It's a blue one with 8700 miles, new tires.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Going down to NC this summer for national track meet that my son is in but won't be able to bring down the bike. I have had this bike for sale since last Dec. I keep reducing the price started at NADA book value and keep reducing the price by $100. People up here in Maine look down their noses at scooters and rider. (most) do. I have on CL in Maine and have been offered $800 for it. I guess it needs to say John Deer or HD on it. As far as the top box ,I bought it on ebay for about $38.00 It was blue so I just sprayed it with plastic coat paint ,(dover white). Anyway, I'm about as low as I can go on the price so I'll just ride alt with my 07 that is also on CL for $3500 that's also really nice. I haven't listed it here because no bites at all on it . It's a blue one with 8700 miles, new tires.

On my local Craigslist there are over 1500 Harleys for sale , so don’t feel bad , gotta say though that $800 offer is hysterical . I’m not suggesting your scooter is priced rightly or wrongly , that is up to you and a buyer . What I will say is this is a buyer’s market , and just like a business a seller has to either be patient and wait for the right buyer , or compete in the market place for that buyer . If you are selling a Burgman 400 , this is what you are competing with . http://toledo.craigslist.org/mcy/4454491139.html http://toledo.craigslist.org/mcy/4463775855.html .By the way these two examples are priced far lower than yours and they haven’t sold either , kind of tells you where this market is . In our local Craigslist there are several Burgmans that have been for sale for years , all of these are priced at the higher end of the spectrum . All of them have one thing in common , the sellers have held to their price ..........but they haven’t sold . Then on the other end of the spectrum , I’ve seen sellers just continue to drop their price over and over and over again . Then one day when the price got low enough they sold . last summer a guy here had a pristine 2009 Yamaha Tmax with 300 miles on it , he had it priced at $3,900 obo , it took him several months to sell it but for how much I don’t know . I’ve talked to sellers now who say they can’t even get a low ball offer . In closing let me say this , I’ve been a biker for 50 plus years and I’ve seen some pretty bad sellers markets over the years . But this is by far the worst , and the really bad news is it is getting worse . Good news for buyers , bad news for sellers .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I agree 100% with TheReaper's last post. Depending on your location, it can be even worse. I have the 2 suggestions to help determine your selling price,

1) use Searchtempest.com and search for 400's for sale in 250 miles of you.

2) check ebay and "Watch" 400's that are near your year/model/milage and see what the final price is.
3) Place CL ads in nearby cities(about 100-200 miles away from your home).

I sold one bike in town, the others were always 100+ miles away.

If you want to sell it now, put the price at bottom dollar. That being said, if the gas rises to a steady $4/gal, demand will probably come back in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Ernie - I feel for you - it looks great and 10K miles means its also a possibility for CA (> 7500 miles) - really nice fly ride ! :)

Looking at KBB, its right at the suggested retail price (if you ignore the miles) - vs the trade in which is 2600 - I have seen 400 go on here of that age when sold at around 3k - ( i personally bought a 2008 400 with 15k at $2500 on here) - not saying you should drop the price and not saying if you did i would buy it as im not in the market - but im saying the sweet spot seems to be 3k for the 400 in this age range -so just under 3k may get you some nibbles - i just noticed you said you wont drop - but thought id write this anyway
Also as someone asked - consider selling the farkles off the bike - don't know why people don't see the value (time alone in fitting ) although i guess personal taste can play a part

Good luck -

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input. It's funny ,I know a Suzuki dealer near here and I Quote, When we sell a used bike we go by NADA book price, When we give a price for your trade-in ,we use KBB price but don't say I said that. NADA book today up here for my 09 is $5050, KBB price today is $3500. I to have been riding for about 50 years and hope to have a few more. Between the two Burgmans, 07 and 09 I will properly never need to buy another bike.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Thanks for the input. It's funny ,I know a Suzuki dealer near here and I Quote, When we sell a used bike we go by NADA book price, When we give a price for your trade-in ,we use KBB price but don't say I said that. NADA book today up here for my 09 is $5050, KBB price today is $3500. I to have been riding for about 50 years and hope to have a few more. Between the two Burgmans, 07 and 09 I will properly never need to buy another bike.
From what I've seen lately , that KBB $3,500 price would be an optimistic high retail number . I know dealers are ASKING a lot more than that , but here in the street or the real world , it ain't happening .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
As a guy on a budget and who is in the process of buying a Burgman{2006 400S with 600 miles on it for $2000}I find your price too high. Sorry, but I take one look at the price and stop there, don't even look at the pictures. It is a sad truth but vehicles just don't keep their value. Of coarse you are not being totally ridiculous with your price - in my looking for ride in the last year I actually saw a guy trying to get double what KBB listed as retail. NADA prices are always whack and most people including banks use KBB, only dealers like NADA but only for resale, not for pricing trade-ins. Hope you get what you want for it but it won't be easy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ernie,

I sold my near mint condition '08 400 with 7900 miles last August for $2,800 (it included a GIVI AF266 windscreen and topcase mount, plus new tires and fluids). For me, I thought the mid point between retail and trade-in was the correct price, this was around $3000 (one should never expect retail) so I initially started around $3450 with no bites. So it's a matter of how much you want to sell vs. how much the other person wants to buy, in my case I wanted to have space for a new MC and the $2,800 offer was the only one where a person was not trying to trade guns:(( So I accepted it and don't regret one moment as the market is soft for scooters/motorcycles and what I lost on the Burgman I gained back on my ST1300.

Funny thing is, I noticed he had my old scoot back up on CL for $3600 this spring, so I guess he has a bigger garage and time to find the right buyer (unfortunately he was less than honest in his add).

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Could you rent a trailer? I know they are hard to tie down; I've hauled them before, but it doable.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry Ted but traveling in a Honda civic. If I was closer, I ride it down. I'll just keep it for now. Getting harder to sell things on craigslist. I find I get one good call for every 20-30 inquires. Every lowlife out there is collecting emails or out of the country and wants your paypal account or wants to trade some piece of $#!T. Beware of scammers! it just gets old fast. Now I feel better !

·
Registered
427 Posts
So true about selling to the general public. I think this site is likely your best bet, when someone is ready to buy.

I have sold two scooters in the last two years. Each time to an acquaintance, whom I really like. I promised to help him with the maintenance, especially since I hate selling something to a friend, and it breaks soon after. You know how luck can be, but so far so good.

He recently sold one of the bikes to a gent who was down on his luck, and needed transportation to hold a job. I should have some good karma coming my way eh!

Enjoy the rides, hope is all works out.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Sorry Ted but traveling in a Honda civic. If I was closer, I ride it down. I'll just keep it for now. Getting harder to sell things on craigslist. I find I get one good call for every 20-30 inquires. Every lowlife out there is collecting emails or out of the country and wants your paypal account or wants to trade some piece of $#!T. Beware of scammers! it just gets old fast. Now I feel better !
A Civic will tow a UHaul motorcycle trailer. $15/day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts