Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what RPM's owners of the '07+ (Burgman 400) are seeing at 50 MPH, 60 MPH, and 70 MPH? Trying to see what is normal at these speeds. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
For a stock bike, running in its highest tranny gear ratio the rpms divided by 100 pretty much correspond to the speed of the bike. So 6000 rpm = 60 mph, 7000 = 70 mph, and so forth. The correlation is actually more accurate than the speedo (which is generally 10% positive). Some use the tachometer as their speedo at high speeds. It is not exact, but its closer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are the numbers for my K8 I recorded before I installed sliders.
RPM........Speedo (km/mph)
5K...........72/45
6K...........87/54
7K.........103/64
8K.........118/73
Relatively flat road, wind speed less than 10 kph, 170 lbs. in the saddle, and laminar lip installed.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Are those indicated or actual (via a GPS, corrected speedometer, etc) speeds? They look like actual...

There are the numbers for my K8 I recorded before I installed sliders.
RPM........Speedo (km/mph)
5K...........72/45
6K...........87/54
7K.........103/64
8K.........118/73
Relatively flat road, wind speed less than 10 kph, 170 lbs. in the saddle, and laminar lip installed.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
RPM's at indicated speeds on my 2012 400z abs are:

50mph = 5000rpm
60mph = 5750rpm
70mph = 6750rpm

All in neutral conditions on the flat. Remember belt and roller wear affects the speed vs rpm figure. Mine used to rev lower at all the indicated above speeds by around 250rpm. In addition, the 2010 onward machines have a slightly altered final drive ratio as I understand it and as published in the Suzuki brochure when compared to the earlier models. Rev limits (redline placement) for the engine also differ.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Whew. I thought something was wrong with my 400. I took a fairly long hiway trip and was surprised to see 6750rpm at 75mph on my speedo but only 62 on my gps. I found I could lean on it to get to 80mph gps @8200rpm then roll off the gas and my rpms would drop substantially to about 7300 with no loss in speed.

I'm used to running high rpm on the highway as my 125 Honda turns 10,500 at about 75 mph and my old silverwingss from the 80's turned 7500 on the highway.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
whalley, what year is yours? Amongst other things, Suzuki changed the final drive gearing (lowered it) and engine specs from early 2010 onwards. To compensate for the lower gearing and maintain the bikes top speed, the piston was redesigned to take a heavier duty, wider top compression ring to prevent piston flutter at high rpm and to help transfer more heat to the bore. This meant the engine redline could be safely raised to 8,950rpm instead of 8,500rpm, thus maintaining the bikes top speed with the lower overall gearing. The idea was to improve performance and help lighten the load on the CVT and clutch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
my bike gets worse mileage at high speeds on the hiway... around 58 at 80 indicated... at 55 indicated it gets about 70 mpg... i ride about half and half... 13 miles hiway, and 13 miles 2 lane... average about 60-62... speedo is 10% off/high... odo is only 5% high tho... fastest i've gone is 100 indicated (90 actual) at 9000 rpms...

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Interesting, did fuel mileage drop on the post '10 machines?
No, it improved very slightly as the engine was running more efficiently in the area of revs the engine is used most. Suzuki also, I believe, remapped her from what I can see to take advantage of the higher revs. There is a different power curve and output on the dyno when I compare the earlier 2007+ machines and the newer 2010 models.

·
Registered
243 Posts
my bike gets worse mileage at high speeds on the hiway... around 58 at 80 indicated... at 55 indicated it gets about 70 mpg... i ride about half and half... 13 miles hiway, and 13 miles 2 lane... average about 60-62... speedo is 10% off/high... odo is only 5% high tho... fastest i've gone is 100 indicated (90 actual) at 9000 rpms...
My 2008 is almost exactly the same. I have a 7% error on the speedo. I get around 70 mpg when running relatively flat 2 lanes at 50-55 mph actual and high 50's mpg when running 70-75 mph actual on the expressway. (I sure get tired of having to add "actual" and "indicated" to a post.)

John

·
Registered
71 Posts
whalley, what year is yours? Amongst other things, Suzuki changed the final drive gearing (lowered it) and engine specs from early 2010 onwards. To compensate for the lower gearing and maintain the bikes top speed, the piston was redesigned to take a heavier duty, wider top compression ring to prevent piston flutter at high rpm and to help transfer more heat to the bore. This meant the engine redline could be safely raised to 8,950rpm instead of 8,500rpm, thus maintaining the bikes top speed with the lower overall gearing. The idea was to improve performance and help lighten the load on the CVT and clutch.
Mine's a 2003 and I'm not sure how wide my belt is. I bought it used with 29k miles a couple weeks back. Can we get the new style rings for the older 385 cc engines? Aftermarket perhaps?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts