Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stumped.

Re-assembling 650 after CVT overhaul (shredded nylon gears), all necessary components re-connected for starting test.

Starter mother as healthy crank, small puff at muffler with each crank. Won't start up. Re- checked all connectors, wiring harness for pinching, removed air filter (was dark). Installed new plugs, Tested plugs against case, spark with each crank.

Checked for positive fuel pressure at throttle body fuel hose connector (splash) it was positive.

Battery on tender, batt does not seem to hold a charge, though systems operate normally otherwise when on tender.

Tank has a gallon of gas in it, engine, transmission oil, coolant all replenished upon re-assembly.

Of course you say.. You took it all apart and now it doesn't work, duh! I think I did a good job, not too many roadblocks along the way.

I think next I will remove air box and the intake over the throttle body and re-seat everything, the manual suggests that there could be a number of thongs wrong, however since this bike started and ran (in 1st gear) when we first put it on the lift back in September, I'm inclined to think it be a connector than a failed sensor or ECM.

After that I will try testing sensors with a meter - need the right kind of probes for that, anyone have experience checking ECM voltages, sensor resistance etc. ??

I do think the bike did throw an FI when it first failed, I wasn't riding it (belongs to busa member yadayada) so there's a possibility that it might be fuel injection related. Isn't there a way to bridge pins in the service connector to show codes or something?

·
Administrator
18,749 Posts
Paul, try holding the throttle open about 3/4's with the rear wheel off the ground of course, and crank it.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
First thing I would try is what Dave suggested. If it fires hold the throttle open until it runs smooth.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
My '03 I drained what fuel out of it I could and put in fresh gas. First and foremost the battery must be in good shape otherwise the electronics won't like it. The two basic sensors for the engine would be the cam sensor on the left lower valve cover and the crank sensor in the stator housing (the small connector), then the spark plugs/ignition coils, and also worth checking the main power/ground connections.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'll look at all those points. I know I'm getting a spark, but no firing that I can tell. The puff from the exhaust jus seems to be vaporized fuel. When it is cranking, the cranking starts to slow and I stop after about 10 cranks. Am I right that I can do damage by trying to crank for too long? The bike I'm working on is 20 miles away, so I may not have an update till sat or Sunday.

Paul

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Shoe said:
Am I right that I can do damage by trying to crank for too long?
Yes cranking too long can damage some things. Wondering how the spark plugs look. It is possible to flood it using throttle while cranking.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your help!

Worked backwards as Le Dude suggested to throttle body, bike started right up, then bit by bit built it back up and all was fine - I fitted the last bit of tupperwear late Saturday night and the 9 month CVT overhaul is done! Bike runs great - like new!

Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts