Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I need help on trying to replace the exhaust gaskets on a 2007 Suzuki Bergman 400. How easy is it to replace and do I need any special tools or is it relatively straightforward? Thank you

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
It's just a slip-on -- you should not have problems replacing it. If you mean the connector pipe to the cylinder head, no special tools required either.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I heard that the lower one is easy but the upper connector one is difficult without a hoist. Could I use something like a bottle jack to hoist it up? How long does it typically take to change both lower and upper gaskets?

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Get the gasket that is for a 2008 and up as it will out last the 2007 gasket three time over.
I put 46k + on my 07 400 & never needed to change the pipe to head gasket. The slip on between the header pipe & muffler I replace a couple of times until I read about upgrading to the 08 gasket. Never had a problem with it after that. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Older gasket & newer gasket are the same size.
Newer gasket is made with much better material,
so it works better & lasts longer.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you don't need to hoist it up? The center kickstand is sufficient to do all the work?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Why are you asking about the 'upper' one. Unless you have actually removed the exhaust pipe (not the muffler but the short piece from the valve cover) I don't know why you would mess with that. The majority of the responses on this thread are speaking only to the connector that connects the exhaust pipe, already mentioned, and the muffler assembly. If you look here it is Item 8 on the drawing. The exhaust pipe gasket is Item 2 and looks to be a little more difficult to work on.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
If you need to replace the upper 'in the head' manifold gasket on the 400 then just make sure the bike is on it's wheels. This lowers the cylinder head by an inch or so and makes it easier to access the area. Putting the bike on it's centre stand makes it harder as the cylinder goes further up into the bike. Of course you should remove some of the plastic. But the manifold gasket, as opposed to the lower exhaust muffler gasket doesn't normally require any attention.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Get the gasket that is for a 2008 and up as it will out last the 2007 gasket three time over.
I put 46k + on my 07 400 & never needed to change the pipe to head gasket. The slip on between the header pipe & muffler I replace a couple of times until I read about upgrading to the 08 gasket. Never had a problem with it after that. ;)
I just replaced my muffler connector, the Suzuki parts manager said the 07 connector isn't even available any more. Thank God, those things were terrible; I went through four before I heard about the 08 fix.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
The slip on gasket last about 7500 miles before I have to get it replaced. Bad design. I wonder whether Yamaha Majesty has the same issue?

·
Registered
96 Posts
The k8+ gasket for attachment of the muffler to exhaust pipe is available at any Suzuki dealer. The price difference between dealer and ordering isn't worth the shipping time.

·
May have gone but will be missed
2,682 Posts
The k8+ gasket for attachment of the muffler to exhaust pipe is available at any Suzuki dealer. The price difference between dealer and ordering isn't worth the shipping time.
For sure keep a spare K8 Slip on gasket on hand, you may need it when you change the rear tire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts