Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you lube the splines on the rear axle when removing and installing the rear wheel. Just changed tire after 9000 miles. If yes, what type of lube? thanks,

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Mainly , There are Bearings Between them, But NO it's not Necessary to, The splines just keep the Wheel in one Fixed Position...

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The answer is yes, always lube the splines with a lithium based grease of some sort. It is lubed from the factory in that way. Don't over do it. It's a requirment to lube the splines to prevent wear and corrosion. The rear wheel is a sloppy fit on the splines (in rotation only) to allow for expansion when it all heats up. If you don't lube, the splines on the shaft and in the wheel will wear. There are no rear wheel bearings on a Burgman 400 as the wheel is shaft driven. The right hand subframe that carries the exhaust also carries a drive shaft idler bearing, or the nearest thing you can see to a wheel bearing, but it's not in the wheel.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Instead of lube I use Anti seize, just put a thin coat on the spline with a small brush. It will not get gummy after time like grease will. You can pick it up at any auto parts store.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Instead of lube I use Anti seize, just put a thin coat on the spline with a small brush. It will not get gummy after time like grease will. You can pick it up at any auto parts store.
+1 That's what I used on my 400 when I had it. That's one of those "Snake Oil" items that lives up to all their claims. I love the stuff been using it for 20+ years. :thumbup:

·
Registered
110 Posts
we use the anti seize at work on the bolts fastening 2 steam flanges together and after several years of 500 degree heat and cooling they still come apart without screwing up any threads on the bolts or nuts, great stuff:D just be careful if you get 1 little drop on you it will be all over every thing you get close to. At work we kid around and say 1 speck on you and your grandkids will be born with it on them. HEHE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts