Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I'd like to thank everyone for the great information they have provided me with while I've been snooping the forum while considering buying a Burgman. I recently pulled the trigger on one. I got it for a great price since it was in many pieces due to clutch problems the previous owner gave up on mid-way. I put it back together and have a great running machine now, with some help from you guys.

Now to the questions. I'm looking at using this as a commuter bike and the occasional trip with the wife. I will not be ridding in weather below 32 because I don't want to risk hitting ice in the turns. So I'm wondering what accessories you all might suggest for ridding 50 miles a day in most weather conditions. Also, my wife is still new to ridding on motorcycles so any comforts for her would be great. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
350 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to the forum. I switched to the Burgman 650 after 7 previous bikes, including 750s and 1000s. It's so much fun - 3,200+ miles in just 3 months.

Is this your first bike? If so, my recommendation for a first accessory (if you don't have it already) would be a MSF Basic Rider's Course completion card. :)

If you've already done that, I've found my Burgman to be pretty complete as is except for the driver's backrest. The previous owner built a home-made "riser" to raise it about 4 inches. Took it off to try "stock" and put it right back on. Love the lower back support.

It also came with a Givi tall windshield which was nice except when fog collected on the top 3 - 4 inches and blocked my view riding toward the sun. Took it to a glass shop and they trimmed off a couple of inches. Much better view now, and just minor buffeting.

Hope you enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the warm welcome Burgpnoman.
This is my second street bike, my first was a 1997 Honda Shadow A.C.E. 1100, which is now for sale. I'm 22 and I've been ridding on two wheels since about eight years old and street bikes for almost seven years now. I loved my Honda up until I was in a car wreck and now my back can't take it without it being very uncomfortable. It has been a sad past few years for me because I love ridding anything with two wheels and in the past 3 years I've only been able to put about 1,500 Miles on the Honda. The Burgman has brightened my life because it is so comfortable and fun to ride. I know at some point my friends will give me crap for driving a "scooter" but that doesn't bother me because I've never rode a motorcycle just to be "cool".

I've found the stock backrest to very comfortable but i am also thinking of getting some sort of high backrest that I could lean back on while cruising. But I want to get the pro's and con's of them first.

Thanks for your input about the Givi windshield, and I'm curious as to what conditions made the fog develop? and did you try a anti-fogging spray?

I'm doing all my research and planning now so when my Honda sells I can put some of that money into accessories.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks for your input about the Givi windshield, and I'm curious as to what conditions made the fog develop? and did you try a anti-fogging spray?
I am the organist at a church an hour away from my home. On my ride there early morning (7am - 8am) there is often fog in the valleys and over the rivers. At the same time, I am riding almost directly into the sun. When I come up over the top of a hill and into the sunlight, I was not able to see through the top 3 or 4 inches of the windshield (directly in my line of sight) where fog had collected. I tried a new spray "Ice Wax" (major brand - ??) sold at Wally World that is safe for plastics. I've read RainX and similar products are not to be used on plastic/plexiglass. The wax helped moisture run off the windshield in all areas except the top lip. Don't know why, but apparently there isn't much airflow there. It still does it slightly, but not nearly as bad, plus it is now below my line of sight.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I am the organist at a church an hour away from my home. On my ride there early morning (7am - 8am) there is often fog in the valleys and over the rivers. At the same time, I am riding almost directly into the sun. When I come up over the top of a hill and into the sunlight, I was not able to see through the top 3 or 4 inches of the windshield (directly in my line of sight) where fog had collected. I tried a new spray "Ice Wax" (major brand - ??) sold at Wally World that is safe for plastics. I've read RainX and similar products are not to be used on plastic/plexiglass. The wax helped moisture run off the windshield in all areas except the top lip. Don't know why, but apparently there isn't much airflow there. It still does it slightly, but not nearly as bad, plus it is now below my line of sight.
This is one of the reasons you should be able to see over your windscreen, the other being rain.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have a Utopia back rest (and a bad back from multiple injuries). I love it. I have done 500-800 mile days many times with it, and never exacerbated my back pain. I also have a Fehling passenger back rest/luggage rack. Getting a top box or some sort of good back rest for your SO would be important. I also have Frogg Toggs (light weight rain gear). It was recommended to my by some of the riders from this site that live in the Great Northwet (not a typo! I have lived there). Even when it's just cold they can be worn over your riding clothes, acting as a wind breaker. I added Bluetooth to my helmet. Works great for hands free music and for answering the phone. They can also be paired to another helmet for rider to rider communications. I have a Wally World two cup cup holder that straps on to the glove box door. I never leave town without it! Most of the accessories would be based on need and want for each rider. Welcome! and safe riding!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input, I know it's a "to each their own" kinda thing when I comes to accessories, but I always like to find out what others have tried. What kind of Bluetooth setup do you have? There is so many out there I haven't been able to single one out yet to try.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My favorite accessories:

Givi boxes - E52 topbox and 21 sideboxes
Bad Boy Horn (installed w/ relay in left side glove box)
Small amp and speakers to plug I-Pod into
Comagination headlight/brakelight modulators

The list could be endless ....

·
Registered
122 Posts
My first mods were a Givi screen and a Bestem 949 top box (with ALL the extras. Light kit, liner and removable pack.)
A few months later, Utopia backrest, volt meter and heated grips (Heat Demon) + heated clothing. (Tourmaster)
All was well for about a year until I was tired of all the yahoos pulling out in front of me at night. I then installed the dual filament front turn signal conversion for running lights, installed a new power distribution system in the front and FIAM dual horns w/relay. I use a caterpillar "O" ring on the throttle for cramp relief.

I just bought a UClear Bluetooth setup for my helmet and it seems to do the trick for answering the phone and tunes.

My next plans are better front lights for night vision, (HID, Driving/fog lights?), and the top rack for the Bestem 949 for my tent and extra sleeping bag. (The wife may bite the bullet and go on a road trip with me! I almost fainted when she mentioned it the other day as she is terrified of two wheels. My grown daughter will go for a ride at the drop of a pin. Even drops by and begs for a ride. Might have something to do with it...)

I will need a new rear tire in the next 500-1,500 miles and plan to darkside when the time comes.

The only other thing I contemplate is a CB or other long distance communication for the long rides I take across the country when I go walkabout. (UClear Spider maybe?)

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you are looking for a top case and don't want to spend the $ for a Givi, I didn't. Look into the Besteem top case. They are $100 shipped. You will need to make a mounting plate so check out LeDude's website. ( he's on here). I believe they have come out with a mounting plate since I purchased my top case. It's still cheaper then Givi and just as good. I ride my Burgman 50 miles to n from work and around to seven schools during the day. The Besteem case works great. Just my 2 cents

Felix the Cat
AKA Steve

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
If you are looking for a top case and don't want to spend the $ for a Givi, I didn't. Look into the Besteem top case. They are $100 shipped. You will need to make a mounting plate so check out LeDude's website. ( he's on here). I believe they have come out with a mounting plate since I purchased my top case. It's still cheaper then Givi and just as good. I ride my Burgman 50 miles to n from work and around to seven schools during the day. The Besteem case works great. Just my 2 cents

Felix the Cat
AKA Steve
Agreed on the Bestem 2012 top box AND mounting plate, $170 for both, delivered. Just installed mine. Looks great, color matches perfectly, only needed a few extra washers as shims and half the cost of alternatives. Plus you get a nice brake light and a passenger backrest too boot.

Driver Backrest, I use this on both my Burgmans. Very comfortable and very inexpensive as it utilizes the original hardware. Easy to install too.

http://www.3brothersperformance.com/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts