Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Burgman 400 and I've been riding it since 2009. Almost to 41,000 miles.

Recently, the FI light has come on after I start it and let it idle. If I turn off the scoot and restart, the FI stays off...most of time.

Interesting fact...If I let FI stay on, the scoot is ridable, but will not RPM past 4000...even at full throttle. When I shut it off and restart, the code goes away and I can RPM all the way up.

Any thoughts? How can I check the FI code? Not done that before.

I have a great dealership I use, but want to exhaust my options before spending the $$$.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Ugh, stupid STVA, but thats exactly what it sounds like. I'm still fighting it (to cheap to just buy a replacement). But to be sure, need to put bike in diagnostics mode and verify the code it is putting out. C28 is an STVA error

Basicly something is messing up and the STVA (which is basicly a secondary electronic controlled throttle valve/butterfly) is sticking in a partially closed position, thus cutting airflow. It will idle fine, but anything that requires lots of airflow (ie having throttle open) will starve the engine for air.

Sadly only 'fix' by a dealer would be to replace the entire throttle body ($$$$) since Suzuki does not offer the STVA in a seperate part (they actually state in the service manual to NEVER remove it).

Options:

1) Do as xiboca did, that 'trick' worked for me for about 4 or 5 months, but after that mine started acting up again and could never get it such a way where it was consistantly fixed (sometimes it worked when i turn the key on, other times it didn't)

2) Scour ebay/classifieds for a part bike and see if someone is offering up a throttle body and/or STVA and replace. Last I checked, could get an entire throttle body on ebay for about $100. Could replace entire body, or just take the STVA off of it and swap it.

3, which I have done over the past 2 years) Disable the STVA. Easiest way is to remove the intake boot (rubber elbow that connects airbox to throttle body), reach in and open valve all the way, and then disconnect the STVA (White plug). This will keep the valve open. Downside with this is that it keeps the FI Light on, and I believe slightly harms performance and mileage, but I've been running that way for years and been fine.

Sadly Suzuki STVA failures are not unique to burgman's, GSX's are bad for it too, unfortunetly the root cause of failure is different. With the GSX's, a circuit board inside of it cracks, or the solder joints fail. With the burgman.... i have no idea, I have taken my apart so many times to try and diagnose, i think its just an internal issue with the motor itself.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
If it's c28 (STVA) check the white coupler right in front of air filter box first.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

So, silly question. How do I get to the connector to pull the FI code? Not done that before...

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dropped it off at the dealership today. I have two long distance rides coming up in September/October and I need to ensure it's going to be ready. Plano Kawasaki/Suzuki takes care of my heavy duty mechanical repairs. Still cheaper than buying another vehicle. :D

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had them do an exhaustive look-over of the scoot and list out the issues. Of all the options for repairs, it's getting a new Throttle body(ouch!) and clutch/rollers. Will take a couple of weeks, but it will get me back on the road.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
As we suspected, that dreaded 'non-repairable' (bs) STVA is causing $$$$ in repair. A simple motor, maybe worth $50 at the absolute most, that Suzuki says you can't replace/repair without an entirely new throttle body.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I picked up the Burgman on Saturday. I ended up having the following work done:

• Throttle Body Replaced
  • Drive Line Replaced/Clutch Drive rebuilt
  • Final Drive Oil Changed
There were a few other things they found that I'll just have to wait on. The rear caliper is bad, but functional so I found one on Ebay for $150 that the dealer will install. The Steering head bearings need replacing.

I ended up dropping $1550 on this repair but given the option of used parts with no warranty...I bit the bullet and went with OEM. Still cheaper than a new scooter/car since the Burgman 400 is my primary transportation. Overall, this has been a trouble free vehicle.

As far as the ride, it feels brand new. Thus, making it worth it. :D

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cart...I did the same thing for about a year....and then one day, it got really bad and wouldn't throttle up well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts