Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and have only had my Burgman since July, but I am running into some problems with it.

It was running fine, great power, started fine. I rode for about 15 minutes, then parked for about 10 minutes. Went to start it back up and it would turn over but not start. I thought it was because I was slightly low on fuel, so I filled the tank, still wouldn't start.
-Checked for spark, that was fine, but went ahead and replaced the plug anyway.
-Air filter is clean.
-It will start and run for about 10 seconds when I spray starting fluid on the air filter, but then dies.
-Checked the fuses under the windshield on the left and they are all fine.
-Took the fuel line off and blew through it. It is clear.
-Tried to start it with fuel line disconnected and no gas came out.

So, I'm now thinking it may be the fuel pump... But that seems to be quite a chore to get out. And I would rather not spend $400 for parts/labor at the dealer. Has anyone else experienced this? Or have any other ideas?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
The fuel pump is in the gas-tank...to get it out, the tank
will have to be moved forward a bit for the pump assembly
to clear a frame cross-member.
For the tank to have room to move forward, the radiator
may have to be removed...
You don't want to do this, unless you really really have to.
Been there...done that...don't ever want to do it again.
Check your fuel injection nozzle & everything else related
to the fuel system...the pump should be your very last resort.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
As stated check to see if you are getting power to the pump. If not first thing to do is check the fuses with a tester not just a visual check. If fuses are good then check the fuel pump relay. If that is good then you will need to check the wiring. If that is good them you may have an ECM problem. If the ECM does not send a signal to the relay then it will not trip and send power to the fuel pump.

Also look to see if the FI indicator is on. If so and you have a C41 code then that indicates a problem with the fuel pump relay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I did check the continuity of the fuel pump relay and it was fine. There is only 6900 miles on the bike... So it seems odd that it is having problems. Where is the ECM located? I looked in my shop manual but could not completely figure out where/what it was exactly. I was going to try to do a test that basically checks to see the fuel pump flow volume, but could not figure out where to connect the battery. I'm really not wanting to drop the tank but it is kind of looking like I might have to.

It just seems weird to me that it was running fine and then all of a sudden won't start. Makes me think it almost have to be electrical.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I know the feeling, I had electrical Problems my self and a $85 Tow Bill, And as of late another $65 Tow last week Turns out it was a Fuse, Connectors are a Problem in some cases, Vibration seems to make them Loose Contact. But you did check the Connectors Direct to the Fuel Pump.. You should here a Buuuzzzzzzzz Sound! from the fuel Pump.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
The ECM is the computer that controls the Fuel injection and ignition systems on your bike. It is located on the front behind the headlights. If you have the Suzuki shop manual look on page 4-11 (system parts location) and it should show you the location.

Section 4 will give you all the info on how to trouble shoot the system.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
One other thing I will suggest before you do a bunch more trouble shooting. Sometimes the Burgmans (both the 650 and the 400s) will act like you are indicating yours does. They crank without starting. Often you can get them to start by holding the throttle open while you crank the bike. They basically act like they are flooded which is something fuel injected bikes are not suppose to do. No one has figured out exactly what causes this.

I didn't suggest this right away as you said you had already checked and it was not getting any fuel. However you might try it and see what happens. If it does try to fire it will probably run rough for a few seconds before it smooths out.

I would suggest for safety reasons you put the bike on the centerstand before trying this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I checked both relays since they both have wires feeding the pump and they are both fine. I checked the fuses with my multimeter and they are all fine. I then tried to connect to the fuel pump directly, and got nothing. So, I am pretty sure it is the fuel pump now. For anyone that has had to change the pump, were you able to just change the pump only? Or did you have to get the entire assembly?

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
The fuel pump is part of the 'fuel-pump-assembly'...
but is available separately.
The pump is on the fuel pump parts page
as item # 6...part number 15100 14G00..price about $197.26
You will also probable need the gasket that goes between
the pump assembly flange, & the tank itself.
It is item # 19...part #15201 35F00..price about $18.43.
I neglected to order this gasket, & had to wait an extra week
to get one & get everything re-assembled.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It turns out it was the fuel pump. I connected directly to it with a battery and got nothing. I called the local Suzuki dealer and they said it would cost $90/hr + $240 for the fuel pump, and they said it would take about 2 hours... (which there is NO way they could get it all done in 2 hours). So, I decided to do it all myself. I found a pump on eBay ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Intank-...00|Submodel:AN400&hash=item589839374f&vxp=mtr) and it worked perfectly! I got it for $66.64 and it was on my doorstep in 2 days from when I clicked "Buy." Heck of a deal. I was able to move the tank forward enough to remove the pump assembly by taking off all the dang plastic and unlatching the radiator. Took the old pump off, put the new one on, dropped it back in the tank, hooked up the battery and started on the first shot. I will sleep much better tonight! Thanks for all the help guys! I really appreciate it

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
It turns out it was the fuel pump. I connected directly to it with a battery and got nothing. I called the local Suzuki dealer and they said it would cost $90/hr + $240 for the fuel pump, and they said it would take about 2 hours... (which there is NO way they could get it all done in 2 hours). So, I decided to do it all myself. and it worked perfectly! I got it for $66.64 and it was on my doorstep in 2 days from when I clicked "Buy." Heck of a deal. I was able to move the tank forward enough to remove the pump assembly by taking off all the dang plastic and unlatching the radiator. Took the old pump off, put the new one on, dropped it back in the tank, hooked up the battery and started on the first shot. I will sleep much better tonight! Thanks for all the help guys! I really appreciate it
Well, That's What These crooks do now, Make up more time for Labor!! 2 hours Right? i took mines out and cleaned the Fuel Strainer in just 30 minutes!! Sounds like there trying to Sap you for More Money! Good Job Doing it your Self.

For More on the Fuel Pump Here is a Good Link on How it works... For All To See

Elliott,

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Well Mr. Kwomack, now that you have done this repair,
would you agree...'been there, done that...don't want to do it again'...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well Mr. Kwomack, now that you have done this repair,
would you agree...'been there, done that...don't want to do it again'...
ABSOLUTELY! Changing the pump wasn't that terribly difficult.. it was getting all the freaking plastic off that was the nightmare! Putting it all back on is tonight's project... So we will see if I can figure out where all the plastic rivets and screws go. Hopefully I will be back cruising by tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Glad you got it running again. Hope you don't do like I did the first time I stripped the plastic off mine. I got it back together and had two rivits and a screw left over. Had strip most of it back off again before I found where they were suppose to go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I wasn't able to start putting the plastic backbon until tonight... But 4 freaking hours later, she is rideable again. Just out of curiosity... How often do y'all have to do work on your bikes? The mechanical work doesn't bother me.. But dealing with all the plastic pieces is what is really frustrating.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
If you have Really Skinny Arms & Hands like me!! I Can Do it with out Removal of None of the Tupperware!! Just the Top Cover! and from there Easy as 1 2 3, Come to think of it maybe it's time to Order a new Fuel Pump for my Old 2007 which is 8 Years Old now!!!

I Don't want to bank it's gonna last another 5 more years!! Better get to it now Not worry about it later Or Stranded with TOW! What other system would Fail in the Future Rectifier/ECU/ etc, etc,

Kwomack, As you said about the Plastic ,Clips,Fasteners are a problem when there Old while removal a few breaks often, Makes me want to go out and Get Screws and Bolts then those Plastic Fasteners.

Congrads,

Kwomack, Since you Removed the Old FP you might be able to Rebuild it and get it back working again.

Elliott,

·
Registered
25 Posts
how were you able to jump the pump? did you just put power directly to the wires above the tank where it looks like they are sealed?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts