Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2005 AN650
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just before the pandemic swept across the world I purchased an '05 AN650. It didn't cost much. The seller was a shop and the scooter had been brought there after the rear wheel locked up during a ride.

The shop started into the diagnosis. Removal of the final drive gear cover indicated that the final is fine. Take out the first gear and it all spins just fine. Try to turn the drive shaft and it is immovable. I am new to these bikes but it seems to me that the drive shaft should move a little. It does not.

Now I have the pleasure of removing the engine and drive line to find the problem. Before I go down this path I am wondering if the driveshaft can be removed without splitting the cases? It is not clear to me in looking at parts diagrams or even the service manual. It seems that getting to this critical component requires a near complete disassembly of the whole engine?

·
Registered
2005 AN650
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found the answer.

Sorry for the redundant post/question.

·
Super Moderator
5,875 Posts
Sounds like you have your work cut out - there may be some new pearls of wisdom from the 650 owners since that old thread

keep us posted

·
Registered
2005 AN650
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The circumstances seem similar. Mine is a '05 with just over 8k miles. Otherwise in good repair. Previous owner was riding on I-17 in Arizona when the rear wheel locked. I have performed the same checks that Dave_J performed. The problem seems to be between the CVT output shaft and the driveshaft. Today I'll start on the work to remove the engine and power-train from the frame.

·
Administrator
23,315 Posts
No pictures

·
Administrator
23,315 Posts
They were not showing in "DARK" Mode. I had to change to Light Mode.
Font Screenshot Rectangle Darkness Software

·
Super Moderator
5,875 Posts
I think there was server work being done. There was spurious text about California, times and post counts when I couldn’t see the images.
Back to you Injhuneer

·
Registered
2005 AN650
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I think there was server work being done. There was spurious text about California, times and post counts when I couldn’t see the images.
Back to you Injhuneer
I dropped the html linked photos in favor of uploaded thumbnails. No ideas about California or the other stuff.

·
Registered
2005 AN650
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am now starting to disassemble the power unit. I have followed the instructions from the Service Manual to remove the CVT.

I have been able to separate the CVT from the engine case by ~1mm but the CVT will not move (easily) further. All (6) of the large bolts are removed (the long ones are being used as guides).

Is there something from the left side that I am missing? Or some other bolt, clip, retainer? Or does it simply require significant force to extract the CVT?

·
Administrator
23,315 Posts
The Primary Adapter under the cover on the left side.

It is shown in detail in the following thread

·
Registered
2005 AN650
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you. I knew I was missing something. I'll make a note in the service manual about this bolt (and where it is mentioned in the Engine section).

·
Registered
2005 AN650
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Assuming this is a RH thread? I have broken/sheared two 3/8" socket extensions trying to break this bolt loose. It isn't LH thread is it?

Like others I used a 3/4" drive 1-1/4" socket. Bored the flats of the 3/4 drive just a bit so a deep well 14mm socket will fit nicely. Using a chain wrench on the OD and resting on the case. Put the 14mm socket in with a short extension (to clear the clutch housing). Twice the short extension has sheared off.

Update:
Now three broken/split sockets later (3/8 drive 14mm, 14mm deep well, 1/2 drive 14mm impact socket) the bolt is still not loose. So either it is LH thread and I am making it worse or this bolt is stupid-tight.

I think I may drill it out.

·
Administrator
23,315 Posts
It is REALLY tight. The 2006 is where they screwed the pooch.

You may need an Impact to get it loose. But I think a few members over the years have drilled them out.

Reactions: wspollack
1 - 20 of 33 Posts