Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick report on my 6,800 mile trip from Claremont, CA (USA) to Atlanta, GA and then back to the Mississippi River and up to Dubuque, IA, before turning westward across northern Iowa and Colorado and through Utah and Nevada. “Ranger” my silver ’03 Burgman 650 performed flawlessly the entire time. Optional equipment: GIVI top box; notch bag; Clearview XL windshield; J & M handlebar radio; Delphi XM Satellite Radio (handlebar mounted via J & M kit); Garmin GPS V and Touratech & RAM mounts; throttle lock; rain deflector; Helen2Wheels duffle bags and attaching straps. Maintenance during the trip included an engine oil and filter change, transmission oil change, and rear drive oil change in Auburn, AL at the Honda, Suzuki dealer (who has sold several Burgman’s and seems to be Burgman friendly). I checked the tires from time to time and noted that they seemed to be losing about 2 lbs of pressure per week. Tire pressures ranged from 39-41 lbs per tire. No discernible oil usage. Gas mileage ranged from 48-59 miles per gallon with wind, speed, and terrain accounting for the variability. I figured on 50 MPG in mental calculations across the various deserts. Out west you buy gas when it is available, not when you have reached an arbitrary point. Accordingly, fill ups took place at 60 and 150 miles at various times. Speeds (GPS accurate) ranged from 55 to 80 MPH. The Burgman 650 is a great touring mount. I would do the same trip again in an eye blink. Get out there and ride! W.M. Clements

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
That sounds like quite an adventure!

May I ask how long you took -- start and end dates, hours per day, any multi-day layovers on the way, etc.?

I'm planning a Canada to Mexico trip for September, and any tips and tricks would also be welcomed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This trip involved attendance at 2 professional meetings with one being in Arizona and the other in Atlanta, where I linked up with a riding buddy. This year we decided to take it easy and limited ourselves to 270-400 mile riding days. Every 3rd or 4th day we took a day off and laid around a motel and did some wash, watched TV etc. We had no days off due to bad weather, since the weather was almost ideal. Riding was comfortably cool for the entire trip -- a first experience that was most appreciated -- in contrast to a 120+ degree day year before last in Baker, CA. The entire trip covered 3 weeks with time off for 2 meetings, a day off here and there, etc. The best part for me was the part up to Dubuque, Ia and westward from there through beautiful farm country. We tried to stay off the iterestates as much as possible. Also enjoyable was northern Colorado and Utah. Beautiful riding.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Bill,

Great report. And for folks who get nervous about any little glitch that shows up on someones machine, this is a good example of the reliability that Suzuki did engineer into the machine. (On the Internet, a blown fuse, a lost fastener, any isolated problem - always causes a minor panic). My touring experiences have been the same - the scooter has been totally reliable.

Your comment regarding fuel availabilty in the west is also something I understand well. Sometimes it is better to top off the tank when it's only half empty and a gas stop is handy - than to sweat finding gas when that little pump icon is flashing. And fuel cells and gas bottles under the seat aren't an answer for me - I want all the luggage space for stowing clothing and gear. You did get significantly better gas mileage than I get though.

Congratulations on safely completing the trip. I have never gone on a tour that long - and possibly never will. Quite an accomplishment!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Sounds like one heck of a trip to me!! May have to try that one someday.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Sounds like you had a great trip. I could never get 3 weeks off in a row to take a trip like that. I'm going to have to wait untill I retire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts