Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have recently purchased a '04 Burgman 650 w/ 500 miles on it. It seems to take more effort than what I would consider normal, and after placing the bike on the centerstand, it does take a bit of effort just to rotate the wheel by hand.

In contacting a dealer, they said this issue was addressed and the '05 models have been updated and do not require as much effort. Unfortunately, nothing can be done to previous models.

Anyone else notice this on their 650? I know these bikes weigh a few pounds, but it's like moving a full-dress touring bike.

Also, was there some talk of the '05 650's having an electrically adjustable windscreen?

·
Super Moderator
8,072 Posts
It's normal. The rear drive consists of 5 gears in 90 weight oil (rear end oil), untill the oil warms up from riding, it will be a bit stiff. Wait untill it gets cold (20F) it's very stiff.

The 05's, I hear, had the clutch friction reduced about 30%, to reduce engine braking. Quite possibly this would help the free-wheeling function while pushing as well.

The wind screen is on the Executive model sold in Europe and Asia. None are in the States or Canada that I'm aware of.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Jim, the Execs are now in Canada!
Only 30 of them though.

One is mine (getting it next week), :D and alburg got his in BC last Saturday.
They do have the electrically adjustable windshield.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
xcsp said:
We have recently purchased a '04 Burgman 650 w/ 500 miles on it. It seems to take more effort than what I would consider normal, and after placing the bike on the centerstand, it does take a bit of effort just to rotate the wheel by hand.
I'm not sure what you meant by "It seems to take more effort than what I would consider normal," but if you meant getting it up on the center stand there are a few tricks that once you get used to them make it easy.

First is to make sure that the parking brake is off so the bike can roll back a bit as you're stepping down on the stand. The other is to make sure you've released the left-hand brake grip at the same time. (Coming off the center stand I keep the parking brake set so it doesn't roll away on me.)

HTH.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Uhm.... you need to NOT hold the clutch lever in, since it's actually the rear brake :shock: . My '04 is heavy, but rolls along fine. Be sure you have correct air pressure in your tires. Low tires roll harder. The rear wheel will also be hard to roll if the parking brake is engaged.

Hope that helps.

Dave B.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I must have missed part of the question. On my computer nothing showed up about pushing the bike. :?

But, going with that:

Make sure the parking brake is fully released.
As 4DThinker said, don't squeeze the brake levers.
If pushing backwards, shut off the engine so you're not pushing against resistance, especially on a cold engine that's revving at high idle.

HTH.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. No problems putting the bike on the center stand.

Have checked the air pressure, and the parking brake.

The 650 takes more effort to move backwards than my FJR 1300 touring motorcycle, just doesn't seem right.

It did seem to move somewhat easier after riding it (about 10 miles).

I see it was mentioned about the 90 weight lubricant used in the driveline. Has anyone tried using a synthetic lube and if it made any difference?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I use synthetic lube. No real difference in rolling the scooter. It is not the lube so much as all the gears & other mechanicals you are moving. It is an entirely different drivetrain than any motorcycle has - and there is not a neutral setting so you are moving transmission parts as well as the drive gears. At 524 lbs dry weight, the 650 is heavier than many street motorcycles too.

I sit on mine and walk it backwards to roll it out of the garage or out of a parking space. No big issue for me. You definitely want to move it before starting it though, as there is more resistance when it is running.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you have the motor running and push the power button on The bike rolls much easier. Their is no drag from the engine and transmission.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Dennis Gross said:
If you have the motor running and push the power button on The bike rolls much easier. Their is no drag from the engine and transmission.
That doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Putting the CVT in Power mode doesn't disengage the engine or activate any kind of clutch; it only raises the RPM at any given speed by 1000RPM.

On the other hand, if the pulley ratio changes even at idle, I can see how that could make a difference. I'll have to try this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts