Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and searched on this forum for a comparison of the 04 and 05 models of the 650 and haven't yet found anything. I am hoping someone can help me with the following questions.

1. What are the differences between the 04 and 05 Burgman 650's?

also,

2. Is there any advance news on the 06, 650 and if so, is there any news on what the enhancements might be?
3. Should I wait for the 06 or press on and get and 04 or 05?

Am currently considering purchase of a used 04 or a new 05 and will appreciate any and all help or pointers to info sources, please.

Thanks and best to all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just finally took the plunge myself and purchased a AN400SK6 since there are no more 05 models available in my area.

Final deciding factors were:

1. MPG
2. Number of riders (never planning on doing 2 up)
3. Freeway vs. city riding (99% of my riding will be surface streets)

I went with the 400 since all of the things the 650 does better such as a high top speed and more torque for 2 up riding I wouldn't use. I did have thoughts about just getting the extra power but then I realized I should just buy a standard motorcycle if I wanted a lot of grunt each time I revved.

The only rumor I can circulate about the 06 650 is that the Executive with all the trimmings will not make it into the initial release for 2006. This was also a factor in my buying choice since if it *had* been available I might have been swayed by the automatic mirrors..... :D

You can do a search for the differences between the 04 and 05 models, its been covered multiple times here :)

Rise

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
The main difference I know of between the 04 and 05 is that the 05 has an overdrive setting when the transmission is in manual mode. As near as I can tell all this does is allow the transmission to go to it's highest setting when in manual mode. It will also go to this same setting when running at speeds above 65 in auto mode, although it does not light up the OD indicator, and I expect the 04 would also. For this reason I'm not sure the OD function is a big deal. About the only advantages I can see are that it lets you go to OD at lower speeds and it locks the transmission there whereas in automode it will shift back down when you start up a hill. This might gain a little mileage but in a 200 mile trip using both modes I didn't see any difference.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
The OD indictor doesn't light on automatic, but then again, neither do the 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. Is it not true that in manual mode, the transmission will downshift itself at a certain point? I thought I read that somewhere, but I haven't experimented yet. Mostly I stay in auto.
Next ride, I'll check it out for myself.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Yes it will downshift but it is at somewhere between 50 and 55, I didn't pay real close attention to just where.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts