Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a lightweight cover that I can use
while I'm at work? Or is it not worth the trouble?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
As I understand it , almost any full size cover will fit well enough .prices start around 30.00 and go up.
As far as is it worth it--I guess that's up to you and were you park, covers can be a pain,
buy one with a lower heat shield unless you want to wait for the bike to cool down. How much room they take up depends on what you buy, A full cover w/ heat shield & waterproofed can need as much space as a jacket .

·
Registered
80 Posts
We use the cover from Neslon Riggs that we had for the Honda VTX 600 we traded in on Angel's Burgy. It fits perfectely and as i remember, it was in the $40 range. They have a Web site http://nelson-riggs.motorhelmets.com/. For what you are looking for, a half-cover might be just the ticket. :eek:

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I use a Dowco Guardian EZ cover. I found the x-large size to be the right fit. It has a zipper that runs from the top-middle of the bike, towards the back and down to the bottom of the rear wheel. I like the "EZ" on and off feature of the zipper. It comes with a built-in air vent, a cloth lining specifically in the windshield area, heat shield for hot pipes, nylon tie-down strap, elastic cording around the bottom front wheel area & grommet holes sewn in the hem. And best of all, it has a zippered tote bag if you want to take it with you. :colors:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
urdmann said:
I use a Dowco Guardian EZ cover. I found the x-large size to be the right fit. It has a zipper that runs from the top-middle of the bike, towards the back and down to the bottom of the rear wheel. I like the "EZ" on and off feature of the zipper. It comes with a built-in air vent, a cloth lining specifically in the windshield area, heat shield for hot pipes, nylon tie-down strap, elastic cording around the bottom front wheel area & grommet holes sewn in the hem. And best of all, it has a zippered tote bag if you want to take it with you. :colors:
Wow! Quite an impressive feature set! (Dowco covers have always been good.) Now - if that thing would just make coffee in the morning, I'd buy one!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Nelson Riggs, too!

I use a Nelson Riggs cover - I can't remember the name of it right now but, it's kind of a "half-cover". That's handy for work because it doesn't go over the hot exhaust pipe but does a great job of covering the entire top of the bike and it's small and easy to put on. It's got a reflectlive surface so the seat doesn't get too hot with it sitting in the sun and it protects from sun damage, too. I think I paid less than $50 including shipping.

I got the XL so that it wouldn't be any hassle to put it on quickly after I get my Givi trunk installed. I also have the back rest extension from rvtoys.com on so, the XL gives "room to grow". It doesn't look at all bad, for folks who care about that sort of thing, though it's a little "baggy" right now. Doesn't bother me at all.

I highly recommend it!
Al

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
The coffee maker is optional and you could probably find one to plug into the power-outlet. Hey! That means you could have "BURGER'S" and coffee for breakfast!:lol: Anyway, here is a link to the site where I purchaced the Dowco Guardian EZ cover. http://www.motorcyclesuperstore.com/ite ... ivision=6# .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
650 cover

Thanks to all for your input! This forum has been superb for me,
before and after my '04 - 650 purchase. Another silver one! I already
put in my order for the Clearview shield and I'm thinking about
some fatter grips. I love riding this machine! I am half way thru
the break-in period. Does it make any difference setting the adjustable
shocks to the "softest" setting?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: 650 cover

Rick said:
Does it make any difference setting the adjustable
shocks to the "softest" setting?
Unless you are really light, I'd avoid that. The scoot handles much better, particularly in windy conditions, with the shocks set to 3 or even 4. I don't think you'll detect much change in ride quality with a single click. But experimentation is the key. You can usually turn the shock settings by hand - just look out for the hot exhaust pipe if you've been riding. So it is very easy to experiment with the settings.

The amount that the bike sinks when you sit on it is called "sag". One theory is that when the shocks are properly set for your weight, the sag should be about .75 to 1 inch. That was the recommendation I received from the supplier that I bought my Ikon shocks from. The spring on the Ikon shocks is much stiffer than the stock springs - so they are set to one. With the stock shocks, I typically had them set at 3. I weigh about 220 lbs.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Do all the covers mentioned in this post have some sort of soft liner? I'm wary of anything without a liner. I made the mistake of using a nylon tarp when my burger wasborn and ended up with some blemishes to the clear coat.

·
Registered
428 Posts
ksmall1998 said:
Do all the covers mentioned in this post have some sort of soft liner? I'm wary of anything without a liner. I made the mistake of using a nylon tarp when my burger wasborn and ended up with some blemishes to the clear coat.
"blemishes"? I prefer to call them "character".

Peace.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
ksmall1998 said:
No. Not all covers have a soft lining. Some have no lining at all (cheap ones). The Dowco Guardian EZ only has the soft lining around where the windshield comes in contact with the inside of the cover. Except for the heat shield around the exhaust pipe, the rest of the cover is coated nylon and seems to do a good job without damaging the paint finish. Also, if it was not for the fact that I don't own a garage, I would not even let the bike cover touch my "Ingrid", much less a "tarp". The higher end covers are well worth the investment. I speek from experience.

By the way, is anyone interested in buying a 2001 Linhai Powermax 260?
It's not a Burgman, but it will do 80 mph and has a factory am fm cass. Asking $2800.
If so please e-mail me at [email protected] . 8)

·
Registered
103 Posts
scratchy cover

Well, after singing the praises of my Nelson-Riggs half cover, I have some bad news to report - the **** thing is scratching my paint! I noticed some odd scratches on the front and back of the scoot and was puzzled because it's always parked where nobody could really get to it to scratch it. Then, I realized, those scratches line up perfectly with the elastic on my cover!

Now, I need to figure out what is the best thing to do about it - I need the cover or my Burg will sit in the hot sun all day at work (not to mention the rain) and I really don't want to give up this style of cover. I also love the reflective top surface for keeping the sun from cooking the seat. It's also really easy to put on and take off. Maybe I'll cut up an old sweat shirt and stitch on some padding....suggestions?

Al

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: scratchy cover

Al Davison said:
...Maybe I'll cut up an old sweat shirt and stitch on some padding....suggestions?
Old (or new, if you're "fancy") terry towles, old (but clean, please!) cloth diapers, etc. As you said, stitch them inside the cover at friction points.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts