Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a private party in my area asking around $4000 for an '04 B400 with 10m miles. He says he's the only owner, just got it a yr ago, and all servicing is up to date. First I'd like to know if it's unwise to even think about a used scooter with 10m miles.

If that mileage is okay, what would be a fair price (California) ? I've seen some excellent used prices with low mileage, but NOT in California. Is there some kind of Blue Book for scooters? In the KBB, all I found was trade-in and dealer prices for used scooters. There was nearly a $1,500 difference between trade-in and dealer prices. ($3,100 - $4,500.)
Thanks.
LM

·
Registered
806 Posts
How many miles is "10m"? I know what 10K is, but 10m? Do you mean 10,000 miles?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Is that 10 million miles? Wow, I don't think it is possible to drive that far since '04 without breaking the speed limit some, and by speed limit I mean the speed of sound.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
bechtoea said:
How many miles is "10m"? I know what 10K is, but 10m? Do you mean 10,000 miles?
The use of "m" or "M" for 1000 is based on a simple confusion.

In the SI system (Systeme Internationale or International System of Units) "m" (mili) refers to 1000th of a unit while "M" refers to Mega or 1000000 units (Millions).

The proper unit for 1000 is kilo for thousands.

So, the original poster seems to have accumulated one millionth of a mile. As the Chinese proverb says "A trip of a thousand miles starts with one step"

:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I thought mili was 1/1000th, as in 1000m=1.0 or .001=1m???
It's been a long while but isn't it mili, nani, pico, nani-nani, pico-pico?
So much for retention! LOL nano-nano? yaknow?

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
10m miles?????

Sorry - I was just quoting from the guy's ad. It's ten thousand miles. Would you please give me some feedback about whether it's sensible to buy a 2004 used scooter with ten thousand miles on it? I would probably put between 2000 & 3000 miles on it per year, as I work very close to home and also drive a car.

The seller claims he's had all maintenance done on it according to schedule. I'd like to know if something you specifically have to watch out for at 10,000 miles. Of course I'll ask to see receipts, and hope to get him to lower the price. He says he bought and had it serviced at a dealer that is also local to where I live.

Sometimes it's not good economics to buy a vehicle with a lot of miles on it, so I'm wondering if this is the case now. I'm hoping to go see the scooter today.
Thanks.
LM

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think the question to try to get answered is what the practical lifespan of the 400 is, and figure out what percentage of that is gone. There are some higher-mileage examples on the board, but I haven't seen anybody over the 20,000 mark. Prove me wrong, guys! :)

My gut reaction is the guy is asking alot for a scooter that's $5699 new. Go see it, express interest, let him know you think it's too much, and leave your contact info. Expect a phone call in a couple of weeks from a guy who's open to offers.

Simon

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's the life expectancy of a Burgman 400?

I went to the guy's house and test drove the Burgman. It was very comfortable. I tried some very slow U-turns, and it handled well. I didn't take it on the freeway because I didn't have the confidence to ride the freeway on a scooter I don't own, and was riding for the very first time. I could feel the pick-up, though.

The seller was very polite and cordial. He had every single service receipt, including the original purchase receipt, all stored under the seat. He said someone offered him $3,400, and he declined. I offered him $3,500, and he said he'd think about it and talk to his wife. He said he was selling it because his wife was against him having a motorcycle.

The deal's not closed. Either he or I can still say "no." This is California, where used Burgmans seem to be few and far between. Again, the question of the mileage keeps popping up. On the other hand, maybe it's good that it's already been well broken in. I've only ridden 1,500 miles on the People 150 I bought new a year ago, so I don't usually ride a lot of miles. The question is, as "Classic Geek" put it, what is the life expectancy of a B400? Is there anyone out there with a high mileage B400?
Thanks again.
LM

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Not too many folks ride theirs enough to have a 2003+ with high mileage. I'd ask Bill Meek. I have close to 7K on my 2003 AN400K3 and I expect to have many many more. As far as his 400 goes, check when he's (if ever) changed the CVT belt (you'll prolly need to do it soon if it hasn't been done already), check when he last replaced tires, oil change and any valves.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
For what it's worth...

I have 8k miles on my own 2003 400, and in my mind it's still a new bike. Seriously, it's never even occurred to me before that its lifespan would be less than 40-50k at a bare minimum. I certainly plan to put at least 40k on it myself. It's never given me problem one.

Second, I know Bill Meek personally, and have been around his 400 a lot. It also seems to look and perform pretty much like new. I dunno what his current mileage is, but I suspect it's well in excess of 10k. He's replaced his tires (I have not, though I'm getting there), and of course had his infamous warranty-covered motor-blowup. Other than that, neither of us have had any bike-caused problems that I can name offhand.

As mentioned above, the bike in question here is about due for a belt. I doubt that it's outrageously expensive. It's probably also close to due for tires, which are hard to come by but not terribly expensive by motorbike standards. (I ordered a rear tire on Aug 12, and just received an e-mail today saying it will not be shipped until Sept. 30. It will be $80 delivered, for a Bridgestone. I don't trust the Pirelli's; Bill just had one go bad in somethng like 3k miles, though it was discovered upon removal that it was improperly balanced and this may be why its life was so short.)

Other than these factors, based on what I know I'd not be too afraid of buying this bike, so long as you're convinced that the price is right based on local conditions. Heck, I'm planning to ride mine about 500 miles next weekend, and it's a year older.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I was giving some consideration to that one. The telephone number
appears to put it quite a ways from me. Ten thousand miles is almost new
as far as I am concerned. My present bike is ten years old & has
75,000 miles on it.
The price seems pretty good for Kalifornia. Other people don't realize
that we usually can't get bikes for anywhere near the base list price.
One thing that would be a real help would be if it had any warrenty
left on it or if it had a transferable extended warrenty. That would
make it a much better deal.
If you don't get it let me know what city he is located in.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I wouldn't let the mileage bother you.

I would ask him if he had the belt replaced and the tires. These are Items that will have to be done soon if they havent been taken care of. So factor in dealer time and cost into having this done.

Again I wouldnt hesitate to buy a Burgman with that mileage on it. Btw I put 12,500 miles on mine in its first full year. Don't forget I have at least 5 months of winter and no riding time each year :wink:

·
Registered
239 Posts
MMMmmmmm....Not sure of a Burgman Lifespan...However you must take into account a number of things...

1/ "Most" people don't ride them (or any Motorcycle for that matter) a significant amount of miles during a year. Those that do are a small minority. Most bike owners are Seasonal Riders...Winter sees the bike tucked away in its Electric Blanket waiting for the Spring Thaw.

2/ "Most" bike owners (especially those you talk to here) are more Maintenance Conscious about the bike than they are the Cage...AND YOU [email protected] WELL BETTER BE...what might be a minor annoyance you'll fix later on the cage could be FATAL on the bike if you don't fix it NOW.

3/ Technology/Quality of Manufacture has gotten a LOT better over the years. It is not unreasonable to expect 200,000 miles from a Cage (with Proper Maintenance). So I would think a Bike should be good for at least Half that...100,000 Miles....they do operate at 2 to 3 times the Revolutions per Mile Traveled so that does have a Negative effect.

4/ HOW you Ride has an effect too...Constant, Steady Speeds for Long distances are easier than Stop and Go on all the components...as are your Start/Stop Procedures....Tortoise beats the Rabbit...Seeing how fast you can accelerate from a Stop is hard on the Driveline as are Hard/Almost Skid Stops.

~ Roland

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Currently I have around 14k on my '03 400. Given that the '04 model has the redesigned oil piston jet, it 'shouldn't' have a problem with the sudden oil loss that caused the engine failure on my 400. In my humble opinion the 400 with 10k, if it was well taken care of, is just getting broke in well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts