Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with the 400, what is the differences? I know the 04 and 05 have the flash to pass switch. And the front turn signal lenses are clear instead of amber according to the pictures on Suzuki's site. Anything else different?
Is there anything quirky about the 03's?

Is there anything special I need to know before I hop on and try to take off? I plan on doing some parking lot routines first so I can get use to it.
Is the storage the same as the others? Full face helmet and then some?
What sort of maintenace needs to be done? The bike has less than 2,000 miles on it--- Anything that will need to be done soon? How many miles usually out of a set of tires? Do they cost cheaper than ones for a cruiser bike? Is the oil easy to change? Mobil 1 oil, would be okay? How wind battered will I get from the stock windshield?
And, is it next week yet so I can go get it already?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Nancy,

The '03 400 also has the flash-to-pass switch. The changes between the '03 and '05 models, other than blue color in '05, are minor. Here are the changes listed by Suzuki by year.

* Adjustable oil change indicator light - can be preset from 300 miles to 3600 miles in 300 mile increments
* Improved operation of front storage compartment covers

* Center section of front cowl changed from black color to body color for improved appearance
* Turn signal lens changed to white color for improved appearance

The storage is 55 liters for all 3 model years. You should be able to store 2 full face helmets and then some. If the bike has had the 600 mile service done, you should have plenty of breathing room to ride around. I'veonly got just shy of 4k on my tires but they have plenty of tread left. The mileage you get will vary on how you ride. As to how battered you will be by the stock windshield, that too will vary based on your height.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so cosmetic differences only. that's no biggie. I can live with that.
I'm 5'7" tall and most of my height is in my legs. :?
I can't be beat up any more than riding without a windshield now can I.

I can not wait!!!!!!!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Did a quick look at tire prices. I plan on putting Pirelli tires on the 400 next. It has been mentioned that the Pirelli tires last longer than the other brands on the 650, but wear quicker than other brands on the 400. I still plan on trying them out for myself. Here's one price on the 400 Pirelli GTS series tires :

110/90P-13 TL Front Burgman 400 Bias
GTS23-02 Regular price: $48.95 Sale price: $30.00

130/70P-13 TL Rear Burgman 400 Bias
GTS24-02 Regular price: $53.95 Sale price: $33.70

These prices are from :

http://store.azmusa.com/tire.html

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Pinwheel said:
I'm 5'7" tall and most of my height is in my legs.
Can't say for sure, but you may end up looking thru the windshield at your height. I'm 6 feet even and need about another 3-4 inches of shield before it would be close to eye level. You may end up cutting the shield down to look over it comfortably. You'll have to see once you're on the bike.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
those are pretty inexpensive tires. The last one we bought was $115 and that was just the tire.
Thanks!!

I guess I'll just wait and see how the windshield does once I get it. Then I'll ask about cutting it down if I need to.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Nancy, you should get anywhere from 8000-15000 (or more) on the rear and much much more on the front. A buddy got less than 4000 on a Pirelli rear...they are softer and a bit smaller in diameter. I will stick with Bridgestone. Internet price for the rear is about $67 +shipping and you'll have to have it mounted. Most tire shops can do it. Most motorcycle shops won't, unless you buy it from them.

I use Amsoil synthetic in my motor (since 2000miles and change every 4000) and in the gear case as well. You can run it longer and it gives you an extra margin of safety IMHO. Wouldn't hesitate to extend it to 6K.

I think you will like the windshield for warm weather riding, but you may want a GIVI if it gets cold down your way. I'm useing a GIVI now but will switch back to OEM come spring.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Nancy
I would get a service manual if I were you, sounds like you are use to doing your own wrenching.
Changing the oil is simple as is the filter -the air cleaner just a bit tricky, but not much -
the trans. cooling fan filter is more "time to do" then hard .
You owned a bike so there should not be any surprises in store.
One prediction I will make, you and your husband will kick your selves for not having gotten a scooter sooner they are a lot more fun then the big bikes.
Only sometimes you have to remind yourself you can can hurt on a scooter just as easy as a big bike.
On the other hand it's easer to stay out of trouble with a scooter :D

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Hi Nancy. The subject of oil in a bike is pretty controversial. But, from everything I've read over the years, the experts seem to agree that it is best to use an oil that is made specifically for motorcycles. Synthetics are, in my opinion, the best to use (after a good break-in period using regular oil). Any good motorcycle dealer should have a good selection of motorcycle oils whether you choose to go with synthetic or regular.
Don

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so the GIVI windshield when it gets cold. ---- Well considering there aren't but maybe 2 weeks or 4 weeks (not continuous either) at the most that are truly cold here then I might be able to get away with just the stock windshield for a while.

We use Mobil 1 for V-twins. However I think I need to find a new oil since the 400 won't be a Vtwin. :?

Where can I get a service manual from? From the dealer? I will definately need one.

I should be okay on tires. I won't be riding the bike home due to the distance and the fact I've never ridden a Burgman before. But I know what price I am looking at now. We know someone who owns a shop so the price and mount won't be too terribly high.

Thanks for answering my questions. I am so excited. I can't wait.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nancy, I did the 6000 mile service myself. As others have mentioned, most of the time is spent removing and replacing plastic. Be sure not to pust the middle button on the fasteners in too far or you will be stuck. Oil change is a breeze as everyhing is out in the open. Here is Washington it is cold and raining a lot. I'm about 5/9" but sit shorter than my 5'3" wife as the height is in my legs. I found the stock windshiel to be fantastic, but did add the Suzuki hand fairings. They are great-riding in the rain my hands do not get wet, and when it is 18 degrees F my hands do not get cold. They mount and demount with about 15 min of wrenching time. Easy to take off in the summer. I't won't take you long to make the transition. Robynn made the switch from her Goldwing to the Burgman in about 2 hours of riding, although she still does not feel she uses the left integrated brake lever properly. It will give you your greatest braking power as it operates both fron and back on the 400. The right lever only operates half of the pucks in the front disc. As they teach you in MSF courses, you must use both to get the best braking distance. The 650 is set up like a regular bike, right is twin front brakes only, left is rear disc only. Enjoy! T. Michael out.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Nancy, if you've been using Mobil !, stick with it. Ain't nothing wrong with it in our 400's. Many, many, folks use just regular motor oil out of WalMarts and get just as much longevity out of thier machines.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm 5'7" tall and most of my height is in my legs.
Can't say for sure, but you may end up looking thru the windshield at your height. I'm 6 feet even and need about another 3-4 inches of shield before it would be close to eye level. You may end up cutting the shield down to look over it comfortably. You'll have to see once you're on the bike.
Hi there, I am 5'5" my height is evenly divided and I look over top of the stock shield. In fact I am looking to get a taller shield. I have had my 2004-400 since April 2004 and have enjoyed every min. Yes if you are used to a standard bike just use both brake levers at first and you will do fine that will get you used to the change from a clutch.

Enjoy your new scoot. Ride safe.
S

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Teacher said:
Robynn made the switch from her Goldwing to the Burgman in about 2 hours of riding, although she still does not feel she uses the left integrated brake lever properly. It will give you your greatest braking power as it operates both fron and back on the 400. The right lever only operates half of the pucks in the front disc.
Hi- I have no wish to be pedantic here just wanted to follow up on the above.

The combination brakes on the 400 are fine - just haul off on both (if you are upright/straight line).

It ain't exactly half the pucks operated by the right hand lever either.

The top two pads are operated by the right hand lever BUT with a much larger piston area than those on the lower pads operated by left lever.

This pic illustrates front pads Here the upper pads operated by the right lever are on the left of the picture - you can see the piston contact marks.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Norm, are you saying that a big puck is better than a little puck? :oops:
Must mean you are feeling better. 8)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Well Ted, that depends on perspective, gender and persuasion.
I ain't going there - I will leave the Benny Hill jokes to someone else :wink:

:D :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I purchased my 2003 400 in June of 2004 and it doesn't appear to have integrated brakes. If I pull the right lever, I get front braking. If I pull the left lever, I get rear braking. I get the most breaking when I use the right lever alone or in combination with the left.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
If it is a Suzuki Burgman 400- its got combination brakes:

The clue for you is the two hose arrangement on the front caliper:
clue piccy
The right lever gives you front brake alone (larger set of pistons)
The left lever (or combination brake lever!) gives you rear plus a proportion of front (smaller set of pistons):

Welcome to the forum BTW :hello2:
It would be good if you could post in the Who are you where are you from? section - more people will 'see you' then

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums cdkotran. Glad to have you join us.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts