Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, my first post in a very long time. i'm not a newbie to burgmans, i bought an 06 new, and sold it in 08 when i was dating a nurse.
ok so i bought 2 burgman an 400's one on sunday and one on monday.

the 03 - i drove 125 miles to look at it, it was an 03, had been dumped twice. the guy that bought it, never rode a bike before, and dumped it in the first 30 or 40 feet. not to be outdone, he lets a little kid ride it, who, promptly dumps it also, so he puts it up for sale.
i bought it with broken windshield, and scrapes, drove it 320 miles home, with no problems has 11k miles on it, i paid 1000.00 i think i got a good deal.
the history on it is that someone owned it that took good care of it, and this guy let it sit and didn;t do much with it. i don;t see any major problems, just maintenance, a windshield, and paint.

the 09 - the picture showed it all in one piece. when i got there, it was torn apart. all the body parts are off it. it was said it has 4k miles on it, they didn't have the title, i ran the vin and it came back legit, and not stolen.
they didn't have the key, so they hot wired around it, trying to get it to run. looks like they cut off a couple plugs n the wiring harness, i dunno why.
i plugged in the dash, and it came up showing 404.0 miles. looking at tires, brakes, etc, i believe the misread the odometer, and it only has about 400 miles on it.
the claim was, it would turn over, but not start.
it's obviously been dumped a couple times from the scrapes on it.
they sawed ( yes, SAWED) through the part where the release button is for the gas cover.
what makes this story real interesting, is that we showed up in my new golf r and a nice truck, and this was a really trashed trailer, and at least one of these guys seem to be tweaked on meth.
while we were there, two cop cars showed up looking for the tweakers girlfriend, and proceeded to search the place.
amazingly, while in the middle of the raid, the cops were fine with us completing the deal and buying the scooter. so we picked our way through the refuse, loaded the scooter, and got out of there.
the history of the scooter is that a couple in that small town bought the scooter new, split up, it sat for about 5 years, and somehow these to colorful characters got their hands on in about a year back, and have been monkeying with it trying to make it run since, and finally gave up, and thats when i bought it for 400 bucks.
getting the title so i can register it is only a matter of a month and 200 bucks for a surety bond.

the engine has not been out of it, it looks like they just messed with wiring and took all the body parts off it ( and lost some)

i don't want to take it to a Suzuki shop, my wallet will be raped.
my question is, where would i start on this? the wiring?
i dont want to replace every part on it, "just in case"
i know i'm going to have to do surgery on the wiring, and replace the ignition lock, gas cap, and the glove box cover and lock.
i guess my biggest problem is trying to figure out what goes where. does anyone have any pictures that show what wires physically go where?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Suzuki is pretty well known for putting a resistor in the ignition switch as a rudimentary anti hotwire device. Security through obscurity I guess. I do not believe you can just jumper the switch and get the bike to run. If you google "Suzuki ignition switch resistor", either on this site or the web in general, I expect you would see a number of hits. That's a starting point for you anyway.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I admire your tenacity and willingness to take on this kind of stuff!

Good luck - post picts of one/both when you have them running. And, if you have to paint them anyway, you might as well go with some cool ass custom paint job like Bake has :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool! i didn't know that! i will figure that resistor thing out. thanks a bunch. this bike is gonna be a challenge

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'll post some pics as they are now, and i was thinking of repainting one of them a metallic green. i've never seen a green burgy. girlfriend suggested hot pink, but i dunno about that...but something like that could be seen for miles!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
When mucking trying to "get it to start".
Remember you have a Kill switch on the right bar, an interlock on the left brake and an interlock on the kickstand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts