Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me again...

sorry to bother.. but the strangest thing happened to me on friday night coming home from work.. I was at the tail end of my drive home (about 25 miles) and the scooter just died. I tried to restart and it wouldn't start... I had juice as the engine was turning over, it seemed to have spark, but no fuel... I throttled it, and i got a giant backfire... I talked to a friend and he mentioned bikes tend to flood fast, so that isn't out of the ordinary..

I let it sit for about 20 minutes and still wouldn't start.. I did a quick hit of the throttle and it would start and run for about 10 seconds and die.. when I attempted again and tried to feather the throttle to keep it going, it died.. nothing seemed to work..

I ended up getting a ride home with the task of going to pick it up with a trailer.. I was able to go back a couple hours later and loaded it on the trailer to bring home.. once home, I had to remove it from the trailer and figured I'd give it another try... it started right up, no problems... I wasn't able to ride or mess with it all weekend long, but this morning, it started and I was able to drive it to work without any issues...

any idea's on what may have happened, or what I may need to address???

relevant details of the night in question:

Temperature: 50 degrees
Weather conditions: rainy and damp
Fuel Level: just under 1/2 a tank
Scooter Temp: Normal
No warning lights
happened after approx. 18-20 miles from start

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I had this happen to me and I found the gas cap wasn't venting well. It seemed to cause fuel starvation (not flooding) and died at a light on me and was almost impossible to start until I put it on the center stand, opened the gas cap, and then started it with the throttle wide open. It rode the rest of the way home fine. A friend had it happen to him and he pushed it home 2 blocks and it fired up on him the next day fine (probably had time to slowly vent over night). Since then we have cleaned our fuel caps regularly and neither of us have experienced the problem again. 2 1/2 years and running.
I don't know if this is the case for you....but it sure can't hurt. :wink:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok... so it happened again last night..

it seems the constant is the rain and/or damp weather...

is there any known issues as it correlates to damp conditions?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Rain/damp and high-voltage electricity are not good friends, and it could be the coil's energy is being bled off creating a weak spark. I would pull the spark plug connector and make sure it and the wire are clean--use WD-40 to clean them up--then when replacing it on the plug use a dab of dielectric grease inside the connector (use a Q-tip to swirl some around inside the boot).

You may also want to replace the spark plug if this has not been done recently. If the dampness/wet is bleeding off the HV from the coil there could be enough loss to not properly fire a worn spark plug. Suzi' says the plug should be replaced each 7500 miles, and if running a conventional plug that is probably a good recommendation. I have been running an NGK iridium plug (p/n CR7EIX) for nearly 14k miles now with no issues of any sort.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Scootereno, how did you clean the gas cap? I know mine will suck oil fumes up and clog the idle circuit. But occasionally it will just quit going down the road and I have to go to low beam and fire it up on the fly.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts