Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Burgman 400 - Silver - 8600 miles - and climbing !
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....the foam element is totally gone...but the plastic circular cage remains.

Stubborn screws came off after soaking overnight with PB Blaster & using Large JIS / Phillips bit on Ryobi Impact driver.

Some AN400 Pros on here say this is just to filter out bugs sticks & rocks.

Others say finer dirt & dust.

I think the truth is it should filter but allow good air flow.

This idea is a simple $.97 wire mesh kitchen sink strainer.

Perfect size to go over cage & fit flat around it. Just bore 2 screw holes thru & attach.

If you're of the 'filter it tight camp' then there looks to be room for a thin layer of foam in between mesh & plastic cage.

Some said they were gluing screen door material onto the plastic cage with Elmer's glue and 'its done stayed put' many miles.

Which only goes to show "there's more than one way to skin a cat".

(My cats retreat when they hear me say that...)
Wood Rim Circle Fixture Auto part
Tableware Dishware Grille Table Plate
Hair Eye Circle Font Electric blue

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
thats a nice idea, but I have seen the crep the foam filter catches. I replaced mine with a thicker filter but more porous. I have to think the strainer is not enough to catch the smaller parts going in.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yah I see it now.
I wasn't near manual to look.
Was fetching foam.
Got both kinds for CVT & Engine.
This thread got me thinking. My previous scooter, a Majesty 400, had a pleated filter element for the CVT. After 40,000 miles there was no significant wear on the variator pulley and I 'hear' over the Internet the Burgmans get lots of wear much sooner than that.

This winter the stock foam gets replaced with an oiled piece of batting along with the motor air filter. I like the sink strainer idea as a base for the filter element.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very good input. Hmmm

The East Texas Powersports service manager I spoke to yesterday - he pointed out that nearly ALL their side by sides & UTVs are CVT equipped.

Think of the dust & nasty low speed & loaded conditions they operate in !

Quite the opposite of a modestly loaded, low to moderate dust @ highway speeds evironment our Maxi-Scoots live in.

He said their CVT filter layout is normally a fine mesh screen - probably quite stringent to keep dirt out.
Maybe their airflow needs over belt etc are less, so the more restrictive filter is perfectly fine.

Just thinking out loud here.

I wonder if upgrading to the Higher Performance Dr Pulley 21 sliders in our Variator will lengthen CVT maintenance intervals versus stock ones.

Obviously there are a ton of variables in this equation !

Cheers - David

PS: Is this the filter for the Majesty 400 CVT :

Plastic Camera accessory Metal Rectangle Electric blue

·
Registered
837 Posts
I know oranges to tangerines, but much closer than apples to oranges….. millions of belt drive equipment run with zero filtration, and for 1,000’s of hours of runtime. From everyone ‘s auto’s serpentine belts, to industrial conveying, to heavy equipment v-belts on dirt laden sites, to homeowner’s lawn tractors with belts and pullys constantly pelted with dirt and grass. All totally inundated with dirt, and most survive 100,000 miles or equivalent hours.
But…. They all get plenty of cooling air.
Just something to think about…

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes good point.

Main diff I see is prob that an auto serpentine belt has lots of underhood airflow.

This belt in running enclosed and gets pinched by variator - that would be heating up pretty good, so air has to flow thru for max longevity.

I agree don't overdo filtration.

I would enjoy finding out how small scooters like 50 - 125cc Japanese & China air cooled ones handle their CVT airflow filtration.

Course I dont own one so that'll have to wait.

Unless someone here knows.

TY - David

·
Super Moderator
5,870 Posts
Some cheap bikes have no filter at all.

By 10k miles a Mk1 PCX 125 I looked at had lost 20mph off its top speed due to belt/sheave wear, seemed standard for the type.
Schedule belt replacement was 12000 or 12500 but it couldn’t keep up with traffic by 10k.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Some cheap bikes have no filter at all.

By 10k miles a Mk1 PCX 125 I looked at had lost 20mph off its top speed due to belt/sheave wear, seemed standard for the type.
Schedule belt replacement was 12000 or 12500 but it couldn’t keep up with traffic by 10k.
You and I both know you are drawing an unsubstantiated conclusion. 🤔 We both know you are introducing way too many variables. Inadequate cooling? Bad intake location?
Evidence of a large study showing additional filtering to that particular machine substantially increases Cvt life?
But on the bright side, you got the instantaneous thumbs up from the bluestrom as usual

·
Super Moderator
5,870 Posts
Good point.
Piaggio X9 scheduled belt changes 6000 miles (ouch).
Look at their ventilation.
OOF!

A lot of the small Chinese bikes use the ubiquitous GY6 unit. Belt change is 8000 miles on those (usually with a plastic debris strainer directly on the case but some have a duct into the body cavity, it varies).

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
This belt in running enclosed and gets pinched by variator - that would be heating up pretty good, so air has to flow thru for max longevity.
Your 2006 is appreciably more "ventilated" than later models. Cannot think why Suzuki would change that, but they did!
Photograph White Light Product Black

And if you look at some of the "competition" you find that they (Kawasaki (AKA Kymco), Sym, look very, very, similar), Why?
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Mode of transport Font
Photograph White Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Peugeot, like Piaggio, seem to like the more open look. THEIR belt change interval - 6000 miles.
Photograph White Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood

Despite all "our" moaning, our Burgmans (400s) seem to have one of the longer belt service lives (14500 miles+) among mid range scooters - with the "as designed" engineering.

"THE" bluestrom.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If I bought a scooter and saw a kitchen strainer where the OEM CVT air filter should go (I just replaced mine a few days ago), I'd think "jeez, what the heck else have they jury rigged on this thing?"

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If I bought a scooter and saw a kitchen strainer where the OEM CVT air filter should go (I just replaced mine a few days ago), I'd think "jeez, what the heck else have they jury rigged on this thing?"
Before you criticize, please consider:

As my title says, "improvised", implying making up for a lack of immediate local supply.

If they're not on hand when you have it apart & have a time frame on re-assembly, what else should one do ?

Several others here have said they did their own improvised method, one glued screen door material on with Elmer's, another used a wet + dry vac filter.

Quite sure owners do it, due to scarcity of part & ease of making a substitute.

BTW, mine is hidden under the black louvered grill, now hidden under the outer Tupper ware.

They're simply not visible, just as the completely toasted OE wasn't to me prior to disassembly, so how could such dissaude you ?

I only saw 2 listings for OE part 1 from eBay & 1 from Partzilla:

Seems to list every model but my 2006 AN400

That last one seems like mine.

But can't wait that long.

Best regards,

David in Hot Hot Texas

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought 2 scooters recently, an 06' Burgman 400 and an 06' Yamaha Morphous. So much deferred maintenance on both, and badly damaged body panels on the Burgman that I didn't see because I didn't lie down on the ground and look up from below. Fasteners missing, fluids in unbelievably bad condition. I have a friend who when he buys a motorcycle, he replaces whatever parts needed with stock OEM parts or better. I'm beginning to understand his thinking the more I work on these scooters. I want mine to be "right", for myself and for any future buyer. What's your time frame? This listing on Ebay says it'll ship same day and arrive as early as 8/9:

Those filters are stupidly expensive, but that's part of the deal when cleaning up an older scooter.

My Morphous' coolant fluid (no that's not oil):
Fluid Wood Drink Audio equipment Gas

My Morphous' final drive oil:
Whole-wheat flour Powder Ingredient Rice flour Bread flour

1 - 20 of 37 Posts