Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

0 to 60 times for the 400

20K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Bolzen 
#1 ·
I see from searching the archive that the 0-60 performance for the 650 is around 7 seconds, but I found nothing for the 400. Anyone have any reliable data on this?

Peace.

#2 ·
Heck we don't even have "reliable" data for the 650. Magazine tests have reported 0-60 times ranging from 5.8 seconds to 7 seconds - quite a variance. Maybe one of them had a 90 lb test rider & another had a 350 lb test rider? Uphill vs downhill, headwind vs tailwind - I dunno. But I am convinced that they don't try for best numbers nearly as hard with a scooter as they do with a Hayabusa or a ZX-10.

#4 ·
Yes yes yes I hear you, but it just seems strange that performance information is available for virtually all mc's, but very hard to find for scooters. Havn't found anything for the 400. And hell, doing a 0-60 test for scooters is easier than for mc's - just twist WOT. I think I'll do my own with the trusty old 1000-1, 1000-2 method.

Peace.

#5 ·
Bleeder,

I spent about an hour searching the web last night for a test report on the AN400 that gave performance data. I didn't locate any. You are right. It is bizarre that every motorcycle test report and automotive test report gives that data, but scooter tests often don't. Even tests of relatively slow cars motorcycles usually have it... I found a very lengthy (european) test of the Honda Silverwing scooter. No acceleration data was given for it either. Ironically, the guy who tested the Silverwing rode his personal AN400 to pick up the SW for testing.

#7 · (Edited)
#10 ·
#9 ·
I tested my 0-62mph time with 1500 miles on the clock (we don't have 0-60 anymore as we are Uapean now!) not too long after getting my new 2012. I filmed the speedo and then timed it as I watched the film. I corrected for speedo inaccuracy with my gps. It was 8.0 seconds. Now two years on it's 7.4 seconds with standard rollers and 7,500 miles on the clock. Yeah, I know, not many miles...had a bad knee injury which stopped me riding for a while. There was a Youtube vid showing the 400cc Burgman with sliders doing it in 6.2 seconds. Nice! Sorry no link to the vid.

#20 ·
Reported times for the 650 vary quite a bit. I think that is because of the different ways you can use the CVT and which one the tester decided to use.

Slowest times I have seem have been from the tester just twisting the throttle wide open in standard drive. Best times from the tester revving the engine against the brake to launch with the CVT in manual mode and shifting just before redline. Runs in power mode with or without launching against the brakes are somewhere in between.

Test runs with the 400 would be easier as you only have two options. Launch against the brakes or not.

#15 ·
Yes we measured the works 650 Burgy years ago and it managed 6.7 secs for the 0-62mph dash. Carried out using lasers to measure speed and distance. That would be about 6.3secs for the 0-60 time. My 400 with lots more miles on the clock now does the dash in 7.6 secs for the 0-62mph run, and that's about 7.2 for the 0-60 time. VisorDowns site shows 7.57secs for the 0-62 time on the 2012 400. These are real figs, not made up. I think the latest 650 is faster than the old bike but haven't any idea how much faster.

#18 ·
19g are touring weight sliders -- i doubt they make acceleration any better, if not worse. Their purpose is to reduce rpm at cruising. Heck i even think now my 18g are too heavy, if i had to buy them again that would probably be lighter. I say probably because the roads are still long over here. :)

#21 ·
Agree get to higher gearing quicker. Never meant to imply 19GM sliders made it better for acceleration. I never measured with 18GM Rollers.

Don't know if sliders might or might not make it better than rollers??

Plus my scientific method (Count 1001, 1002, etc.) just might be a BIT INACCURATE. :eek

Just saying that is what I got and it was after I put in n the 19GM Sliders, seems to agree with other inputs here (around 7 or 8 sec).

Whatever It Is is What It Is and plenty good for normal traffic.

#22 ·
Yeah, either the 400 or the 650 pulls away from normal traffic at red lights with ease and that is all you really need. I like to think of them as quick but not necessarily fast.

#23 ·
I ride a 2010 Honda NT700V which is considered a boring slug of a motorcycle by some reviewers. The NT had a 0 to 60 time of 5.36 sec by MCN in 2010. Seems if the bike can't do 0 to 60 in less than 3 seconds or 0 to 100 in less than 8 seconds it is boring. Don't get it.
The NT along with the Burgmans will be faster from a stop than 90% of the other vehicles on the road.
Look at the Consumer Reports Car Annual Review tables and they show only performance and more expensive cars can beat 8 second 0 to 60 times. Much ado about nothing.......

Anyway my 2 cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.